Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a pic of the door restraint / return configuration used on an early (1963) Ti ? for all four doors ?

Just found out we seem to missing something after hanging the doors. are ther springs involved ? looks like there might be.

Many thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
I don't recall anything on either the TI or Super type hinge. 2000 Berlina-era cars might have got a closing strut, sourced from its parts bin.
Parts catalog will tell, I can look tonight if someone doesn't get there first.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean but there is a hairpin type spring at the hinge that is originally covered by a black rubber cap. Different mechanism to later Alfas ...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not quite sure what you mean but there is a hairpin type spring at the hinge that is originally covered by a black rubber cap. Different mechanism to later Alfas ...
That sounds like it may be the bit that's missing. There's a "lug" on both the door and the body side of the hinge to accept something off that nature.
I'll see if I can get a photo of what I mean.

Steve

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edit to my previous post, apparently these springs are only on the front doors, nothing on the back, so I need two... Not four.
Steve

·
Registered
205 Posts
Edit to my previous post, apparently these springs are only on the front doors, nothing on the back, so I need two... Not four.
Steve
Steve, Are You sure?
I have 4. Also on the back. If I remember correctly they were in different position. I have to check (downward or even on the lower hinge).
Gasolina promised to check my 4/63 TI if it is different from the 9/62.
Or are Your back doors welded to be closed?

-Kristian

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kristian, you may be right, trouble is, the car is 50 miles away from me. I,ll get my friend to check again tomorrow.
As you say, they could be in a lower position on the rear doors.
Steve

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I haven't been able to find any of these "door check springs", absolutely unobtainable, so I came up with an alternative ,see attached pics.
I looked around for something to do the job, and found that a Morris Minor 1000 door pull was just the right length. In it's normal application, it has a chrome finisher at one end.
I bought two new ones from a UK supplier, together with an extra two reinforcing bar (that goes under the finisher, by which the strap is held by two screws onto it), then bought four good s/h chrome finishers. The colour of the straps is very close to the colour of my door cards, and the standard length of the door pull is perfect. Fitted them today and they work a treat.
Total cost about £35
I'll now do the same for the rear doors.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts