Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the voltages going to the headlights - which I’ve been testing through the connections at the fuse box and now to the foot switch.
The foot switch switches between the low and high beam headlights.
theres 3 wires to that foot switch:
1- red - 12v power
2- green (high beams)
3- grey (low beams)

When you put the dash board light switch ON I get power to Red wire.
That seems to be fine....

my question : does the foot switch change where the power is being sent to?
Ie. In low beam you should have power to (3) grey but 0 volts on green (2).
then reverse that when floor switch is pushed down? Ie. (2) green gets 12v, grey (3) 0v ?

I’m not much of an electrician so I’m just trying to make I’m correct here ! I believe the switch is not working correctly. Is it repairable ??
thank you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay....I know you’re all on the edges of your seats....

I took the foot switch off the car and tested it. It seems to work fine - and it does do what I imagined - so I re-attached the wires and it’s back in the car....

the problem: The foot switch is correctly switching between hi/lo beams but the hi beam warning light is always ON.....this is weird to my brain because the warning light appears to be driven by the hi beam circuit, which is coming on/off correctly....hmmm.....

So if go back to testing the voltages at the foot switch, even though it’s doing the right thing (switching correctly between lo and hi beams), I always seem to have voltages on both the grey and green wires (lo and high beam)...which makes no sense to me but there’s obviously an explanation ?

How I’m testing :
I have a voltage meter and I’m touching the terminals on the foot switch to ground via the voltmeter : One contact of the voltmeter to ground, the other to one of the terminals on the foot switch.

What would you expect these voltages to be ? Should I be measuring Amps and not voltage ??
Is there power going to both lo&hi beams all the time ?? its just not enough to get the hi beams working ???

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts