Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
And the little Solex C32 is now complete with new gaskets, membrane, one new throttle shaft, 1 butterfly plate, and some used jets here and there. Quite excited to see whether it will work as intended. Its a rather simple carb so I cant see why not :)

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Decided to get the box completely cleaned up, using a brass brush to loosen up the dirt and paint thinner with a rug to wipe it off. Quite a slow process, but one can clearly see the results.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So that was a hidden car in the Netherlands, moved abroad again. I was not aware of this early one here....But how lovely that it will get on the road again!
Be aware there are a lot of things on early Giulia's that are different from later cars!
Some crazy tip that works on the rusty mild steel bumper: Forget about sticky cola....Take fine steel wool and rub the chrome with it. It will remove all rusty remnants. What you see is much worse rust than it really is. I did the bumper of my Sprint in a similar way and decided I do not have them rechromed anyway.

Here is my '62 Giulia engine bay:

As to the tires, I run 155/15 Vredestein Sprints. They look OK and as part of the era, have good roadholding and decent noise (this early Giulia's are quite noisy inside!)

Reactions: Sergio105

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
So that was a hidden car in the Netherlands, moved abroad again. I was not aware of this early one here....But how lovely that it will get on the road again!
Be aware there are a lot of things on early Giulia's that are different from later cars!
Some crazy tip that works on the rusty mild steel bumper: Forget about sticky cola....Take fine steel wool and rub the chrome with it. It will remove all rusty remnants. What you see is much worse rust than it really is. I did the bumper of my Sprint in a similar way and decided I do not have them rechromed anyway.
View attachment 1685339 View attachment 1685340

Here is my '62 Giulia engine bay:
View attachment 1685341
Yeah, that is true, many differences, sadly I can't source the correct roof lining for it :/ but I purchased one that is designed for a later model.. not even sure what to do, maybe approach a tailor? Or just install one from a later model?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, that is true, many differences, sadly I can't source the correct roof lining for it :/ but I purchased one that is designed for a later model.. not even sure what to do, maybe approach a tailor? Or just install one from a later model?
The rooflining on mine is a very nice wool fabric. I assume that the later cars lost that for a perforated pvc material.
The material should be possible to find. it has no real pattern in it. If you want, I can take pictures of them when I get to my storage. (may take some weeks)

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Is this what you need? Send me a PM if so. It is vinyl, and seems to have a couple of differences to the shape at the top of the pillars to the repro items.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Interesting topic ...
The pavilion proposed by Alex should be specific (and rare ...) for Giulia 1300 4-speed (105.06). I am attaching two images of the Giulia TI / TI SUPER / SUPER spare parts catalog where, at point "15", only two differences are highlighted and both with code 105.26 (Giulia Super). In my opinion there is some inaccuracy. I should consult the Giulia TI catalog which I do not have in electronic format.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have finally acquired an old Giulia, initially I was looking for a 1300 in a good nick but then I had to lower my budget and even browsed through a few Nuovas. And in the end, I even backed out of the whole deal thinking it wasn't the right time after all. But there was this one guy who kept the conversation going with me, and asked for an offer, reluctantly I did give him one, and ended up with a 63 Giulia 1600Ti, column shift and a bench... Mind you, original black ;) Dented and all that, but not very rusty if I dare say so, as I havent had it up on a lift quite yet and its been sitting in the garage since I got it...

About a month ago we loaded up the trusty Mercedes (with tranny problems) and took off in the midst of the corona crisis and all, the guy selling it was actually sick with corona at the time! So it was quite a sketchy deal to pull off, but we were determined. The Giulia was about one hour drive from Rotterdam, Holland, so we made a swift journey from Sweden down through Germany with a quick stop at Bertelsbeck Alfa for a few spare parts, before picking it up.

The journey home was rather uneventful aside from the GPS taking us on a wild goose chase where we got stuck behind a little painter's van that suddenly slammed the brakes and took a right without any forewarning, we stood on the brakes, and you guessed it, the Giulia came loose on the trailer...we nearly lost it, it was matter of luck and physics...
Anyhow, we got her home around midnight and pushed her into the garage where she has been sitting for a month now, untouched, as I am finishing a 164 daily driver project at the moment, and we have a few other things to get done before I start ordering parts for the Giulia.

The story goes... the seller bought the car in Italy in the 90's, engine was overhauled and the car was supposed to be renovated, sadly or rather luckily on my part, it never came to that, and it spent nearly 30 years in a heated garage. From first impression, I can see that the engine has been in and out of the car, but I cannot say anything for sure at this point, as I have not tested the compression or tried starting it. The oil smells funny, something is telling me there is gas in it :( so I suspect the fuel pump seal is bad, and I sincerely hope that the oil wasn't too thin for the main bearings during its last drive.

Its a dream come true for me, I am already planning on taking her on a few trips, one of which being a winter drive to North Cape.
The idea is to renovate the interior, all the suspension components along with the dunlop brakes leaving the exterior more or less untouched. I dont want a perfect show car, there are too many of those around. As the body is quite good, aside from dents and scratches, I want to remove the rust and preserve it in the best way that I can. Some might look down on that, but, that is how I look at it... keeping the patina. What do you guys think of all this? I am Norwegian, live in Sweden now days, and work in Denmark, so the car is at the garage in Sweden where the story will unfold.
Very nice ride, Ideally like the 4door Alfas, I have a second owner 1974 Berlina that I am in
I have finally acquired an old Giulia, initially I was looking for a 1300 in a good nick but then I had to lower my budget and even browsed through a few Nuovas. And in the end, I even backed out of the whole deal thinking it wasn't the right time after all. But there was this one guy who kept the conversation going with me, and asked for an offer, reluctantly I did give him one, and ended up with a 63 Giulia 1600Ti, column shift and a bench... Mind you, original black ;) Dented and all that, but not very rusty if I dare say so, as I havent had it up on a lift quite yet and its been sitting in the garage since I got it...

About a month ago we loaded up the trusty Mercedes (with tranny problems) and took off in the midst of the corona crisis and all, the guy selling it was actually sick with corona at the time! So it was quite a sketchy deal to pull off, but we were determined. The Giulia was about one hour drive from Rotterdam, Holland, so we made a swift journey from Sweden down through Germany with a quick stop at Bertelsbeck Alfa for a few spare parts, before picking it up.

The journey home was rather uneventful aside from the GPS taking us on a wild goose chase where we got stuck behind a little painter's van that suddenly slammed the brakes and took a right without any forewarning, we stood on the brakes, and you guessed it, the Giulia came loose on the trailer...we nearly lost it, it was matter of luck and physics...
Anyhow, we got her home around midnight and pushed her into the garage where she has been sitting for a month now, untouched, as I am finishing a 164 daily driver project at the moment, and we have a few other things to get done before I start ordering parts for the Giulia.

The story goes... the seller bought the car in Italy in the 90's, engine was overhauled and the car was supposed to be renovated, sadly or rather luckily on my part, it never came to that, and it spent nearly 30 years in a heated garage. From first impression, I can see that the engine has been in and out of the car, but I cannot say anything for sure at this point, as I have not tested the compression or tried starting it. The oil smells funny, something is telling me there is gas in it :( so I suspect the fuel pump seal is bad, and I sincerely hope that the oil wasn't too thin for the main bearings during its last drive.

Its a dream come true for me, I am already planning on taking her on a few trips, one of which being a winter drive to North Cape.
The idea is to renovate the interior, all the suspension components along with the dunlop brakes leaving the exterior more or less untouched. I dont want a perfect show car, there are too many of those around. As the body is quite good, aside from dents and scratches, I want to remove the rust and preserve it in the best way that I can. Some might look down on that, but, that is how I look at it... keeping the patina. What do you guys think of all this? I am Norwegian, live in Sweden now days, and work in Denmark, so the car is at the garage in Sweden where the story will unfold.
I really like the 4door Alfas, nice 63, I love the steering wheel, I have a 74 Berlina that am restoring after driving it for awhile, great handling cars that feel like my 74 GTV 2000 behind the wheel, and there are few on the road. It looks like you are doing a good with the restoration, truth be told my has gotten sidetracked, soon I'll be back on the straight and narrow and finish her .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Sooo.... box has now been apart, looks good in my honest opinion, I didn't even change the synchros, bought 2 but ended up not using them... the one's in it were just too good, I guess the column shift is easier on them than a floor shifter.. Finally a positive thing about it :) Now everything is buttoned up with new gasket material and seals at the back/front..
Otherwise not much else to add, just doing a little at a time.
Once the box was in pieces I was able to fit it into the ultrasonic washer, along with the entire linkage, pedals and so on.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
another day, another struggle.. got the radiator out this evening, flushed it out probably 10 times now with scolding hot water with a little degreaser in it, still comes out brown 😐 I mean, should I get it re-cored? Otherwise it has no leaks and the fins are in great condition, especially keeping in mind that its the original item, which has probably never been changed.
The dark spots are just water...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Had a look at the door cards as well today, the top parts are all in great shape, and with a little bit of gentle scrubbing they still had some nice patina left in them, the bottoms are sadly eaten by mice as I have mentioned earlier, and will be dropped off at a tailor tomorrow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
All (I certainly hope at least) of the rubber seals, door seals and etc. are now here, I am saving them for the very end, since I am still contemplating on getting this whole thing painted... man its turning into a very expensive ordeal 🥴

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
The pure magic of an ultrasonic bath, this piece here still had some paint and a bunch of sticky crap on it, sound deadening and so on before I left it inn there for 1 hour.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts