Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,089 Posts
The number of cars extant in the 420000 range is pretty small. The only one I've ever seen in the US was a race car built by Danny Pillar and had almost no original stuff left on it.
Nice to have those early details though.
Andrew

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Mea culpa. I had it the wrong way up regarding the quarter light opener.

From VIN 428001 (Tipo 105.14 + late production column shift cars on), the quarter light opener moved from the more solid, round one to the wing nut design that your car shows. This wing nut design was carried over to the Tipo 105.08, the floor shift TIs (And to the Giulia Super, introduced in 1966). Check page 165 9n Dasse's book for reference.

So gents, check and post your VIN and we can put the topic to bed :) I assume that @Alfa Station's cars are earlier (Since 62 and 63 are likely very low VINs) and @thyssenkrupp's VIN might be after. My floor shift TI has the wing nut design which is correct for it (And the car has a completely original interior).

Hope that helps,

Mike
Thank you Mike :) I was at the garage last night , but forgot to peek at the VIN, the sound deadening is getting the best of me at the moment.. haha

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Got the steel wheel back from the renovation shop today, the wheels in question is one I bought from a member here...really trying to be diplomatic here, but man, what a pile of ****. I had it sent off to renovation, they made several attempts at making it right but sadly weren't able to. Its less crocked now, but still very uneven and required 160 grams to balance out. For now its on the car, but I am on the lookout for a better one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Finally found the time to set up my spanking new ultrasonic bath, took the stubborn Solex apart and sunk it all inn there.. Sadly the screws for the butterflies didnt want to come out and had to be carefully drilled out, luckily without any broken bits or other drama.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
I am still sticking with the originality and all that, so let's hope the Solex C32 Paia will function as intended.
A new gasket set is waiting for it in the drawer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
If possible can someone tell me their air-correction jet sizes in the Solex C32 Paia (1600 Ti) One of mine is missing, and strangely enough the spare carb that I got is also missing one...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Parts book says 190 for both throats .... my Solex carb from my car has a 190 in one throat and a 200 in the other (secondary).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Parts book says 190 for both throats .... my Solex carb from my car has a 190 in one throat and a 200 in the other (secondary).
Ok, grand, I think I might have a 190 laying around, so I will order up 200 then. Thank you for the input! No wonder it would bog down and foul almost instantaneously, with the jet missing all together.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
So, finally manned up to take the box out, it had to be done... The entire shifting mechanism is rubbish with tons of slack in every joint, making shifting a lot like playing the russian roulette, you never know which gear you might get ;)
Everything came down nicely, and now I am working on cleaning and repainting all the little parts, also made a schematic for nylon bushings that I need to get made, so everything will be working at its full potential. And since the box is down, I will split it open to inspect/replace the synchro rings. The clutch looked to be replaced not long ago, but I will still inspect it, now that its right in front of me.
Here are a few photographs from yesterday :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
If pedal bushings were originally bronze/graphite, CCVI in Italy is a good source, but you may need to request 'samples' in order to get around minimum order quantities. Their UK agent was very helpful several years ago. Teflon-lined DX bushes are common, but I don't like them. There is also a technique for restoring bronze bushes: send me a message if you'd like the recipe!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
If pedal bushings were originally bronze/graphite, CCVI in Italy is a good source, but you may need to request 'samples' in order to get around minimum order quantities. Their UK agent was very helpful several years ago. Teflon-lined DX bushes are common, but I don't like them. There is also a technique for restoring bronze bushes: send me a message if you'd like the recipe!
Thnx for the tip but the original bushings are sadly gone, as in not there anymore. I can have bronze ones made through work. Just thought nylon is a better bet. Why don't you like them? Less precise?
Restoring bronze bushings can be done through a heating process, at least I have used that method before..

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
The original (floor-mounted) pedal bushings in my RHD Sprint GT are bronze/graphite 'wrapped' bushings which can still be found if you look hard enough (see the attached image, and note the diamond pattern). I refitted mine with some ancient, thick graphite grease. Nylon just has a tendency to deform over time. I think that Alfa's engineers knew what they were doing ...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
The original (floor-mounted) pedal bushings in my RHD Sprint GT are bronze/graphite 'wrapped' bushings which can still be found if you look hard enough (see the attached image, and note the diamond pattern). I refitted mine with some ancient, thick graphite grease. Nylon just has a tendency to deform over time. I think that Alfa's engineers knew what they were doing ...

View attachment 1685018
Ahh those are still in good nick ;) it's the small shifter linkage bushing i need to have made, I'll take a picture later ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Cleaned up the transmission a little last night, and went over all the various bits for the shifter linkage. Next up is to look at the pedal box, re-grease everything and replace all of the missing o-rings.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
The transmission mount was badly dented, and needed some intense heat and convincing to get "back in line"

141 - 160 of 178 Posts