Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Could anyone who is rocking the original Solex C32 tell me what this vacuum port is for and where it goes? I currently have it connected to the vacuum advance on the dizzy.
I haven't rebuilt the carb yet as we are waiting for the ultrasonic bath to arrive... But since the carb works more or less, my Giulia runs and can move around on its own power, sadly if I throttle down she drowns in fuel, I am suspecting this may have something to do with that...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Alright lads I need your help here..
The shifter is stiff to put it mildly.. took apart a few bits today in an attempt to make it better but to no avail. There are two arms going down to the transmission, a slim one with edges and a round tube looking one. By looking at the mechanism from below it seems that the problem might be actually inside the transmission. I am able to find all the gears but it's quite a work out. Could it be due to the car sitting for about 30 years and the tranny oil settling at the bottom or has anyone experienced anything like this before with their column shift?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
New brake booster along with the brake fluid reservoir..
And here are the parts I cleaned up and re-greased, but they weren't the culprit.
So I need you help here..

Sent fra min GM1903 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Alright lads I need your help here..
The shifter is stiff to put it mildly.. took apart a few bits today in an attempt to make it better but to no avail. There are two arms going down to the transmission, a slim one with edges and a round tube looking one. By looking at the mechanism from below it seems that the problem might be actually inside the transmission. I am able to find all the gears but it's quite a work out. Could it be due to the car sitting for about 30 years and the tranny oil settling at the bottom or has anyone experienced anything like this before with their column shift?
Ask someone else to change gears while You are under the car to see that the levers are not hitting anything.
Do not over tighten the levers and their nuts or fill the rods with bushings to be too tight.
How are Your lever bushings?

Mine was stiff too because it was hitting the exhaust downpipe and wrong bushings and over tightening of nuts.

-k

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
So, after taking a long break, I am at it again... this is becoming more and more expensive by the hour..
Just removed the front and rear bench, which have to be re-done along with all 4 door cards. The floor mats are all goners as well, so I decided to strip everything on the inside, ceiling, floor dash and so on.
Placed an order yesterday for some 1600 bucks, seals, mats, ceiling, various fittings and so on...
Going to take down the transmission in the upcoming days and split it open, perhaps there is something faulty on the inside..

Ugh... what was going to be a quick fix up is turning into a proper long term project 😑

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just removed the front and rear bench, which have to be re-done along with all 4 door cards.
Under the after market seat covers You have blue "vipla" which I have seen in couple of other cars even though on 7/1963 printed catalog does not know it.
The canvas on the doors is uniform grey? If so the seats should be the same if the door canvas has not been changed. But I have only seen blue vipla with the early grey/white canvas with "lightning" pattern.
Just my experience but not necessarily the truth...

-k

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
The sound deadening mats are basically welded to the floor..

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Under the after market seat covers You have blue "vipla" which I have seen in couple of other cars even though on 7/1963 printed catalog does not know it.
The canvas on the doors is uniform grey? If so the seats should be the same if the door canvas has not been changed. But I have only seen blue vipla with the early grey/white canvas with "lightning" pattern.
Just my experience but not necessarily the truth...

-k
You are 100% correct ;)

But the canvas under the covers was a cozy home for some Italian mice... and those rascals were a hungry bunch, thank you for the upload, I will keep that in mind to get an original looking color.

The ceiling looks white, but I am guess it was "cream" at some point in its life

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I can afford some advice after dismantling a few dozen Giulia sedans ...
I saw you saved the original rubber mats. Good boy. You should do the same with the carpet, absolutely impossible to find (at least in Italy ...). Find a good upholsterer who has the desire and the patience to wash and soften them, even if they remain faded or slightly creased in some places, it is not important, the important thing is to save as many original parts as possible!
This is my thinking of course.
And congratulations on your good work!

Reactions: ganunez

·
Registered
236 Posts
The ceiling looks white, but I am guess it was "cream" at some point in its life
I think that in earlier cars it is wool canvas also. Mine was light grey wool.
I have not seen a quarter window opener like that before. I have only a round button to turn.
Usually on dark grey upper door panel cars have uniform grey canvas as on Your car seems to be.
Floor looks nice though.

-k

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Probably talking about the same thing?
Left in the picture.
My -62 and 63 have these "round buttons" for vent window handles.
Well, I really don't know haha, but I have seen the regulator for the little window in a few various shapes and sizes, but only once the same type and mine, on a 102 series 2000 Berlina. Mine could have been replaced at some point.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The vent window winder knob is totally correct for your car. It changed over to the more substantial knob that @Alfa Station shows at a later point in TI production (After the switch to floor shift. The Dasse book notes this, including the VIN when this piece was changed).

If you decide to discard the floor mats, I would be more than happy to buy them from you by the way. As @Sergio105 points out, they are not reproduced and difficult to find. Most TIs lost them to age or owners "upgrading" to all carpet.

That torn control sheet is super cool. Safe it and stitch it together. I have never seen one.

Question: Is the front of your dashboard painted black, like the car color? Or is it a continuous crinkle finish? I did some research on this and it looks like that some 1600 TIs did not come with a painted dash but rather a crinkle one (As they used in the 1300 TI. However, all 1600 cars I have seen with a non-painted dash have the 1600 trim affixed to it, including the emblems, three switches and trim around and handle bar).

Reactions: Sergio105

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
If I can afford some advice after dismantling a few dozen Giulia sedans ...
I saw you saved the original rubber mats. Good boy. You should do the same with the carpet, absolutely impossible to find (at least in Italy ...). Find a good upholsterer who has the desire and the patience to wash and soften them, even if they remain faded or slightly creased in some places, it is not important, the important thing is to save as many original parts as possible!
This is my thinking of course.
And congratulations on your good work!
The issue is sadly not the fading and wear, its mice :( the smell is quite strong, but that can be washed out, the holes however are far too many :(

The white and black rubber mats broke into little pieces when I was taking them out, but there is a guy who makes them, expensive but available.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)
The vent window winder knob is totally correct for your car. It changed over to the more substantial knob that @Alfa Station shows at a later point in TI production (After the switch to floor shift. The Dasse book notes this, including the VIN when this piece was changed).

If you decide to discard the floor mats, I would be more than happy to buy them from you by the way. As @Sergio105 points out, they are not reproduced and difficult to find. Most TIs lost them to age or owners "upgrading" to all carpet.
I have Dasse's book, so Ill have a look, thank you for the tip.

In terms of floor mats, you mean the white and black ones? If so I am afraid they are in pieces, they literally shattered. I know the originality is king, but there was nothing I could do. All I am trying to do is to build is a more or less an original car with a different rear end and maybe a different carb(s) and use the heck out of it 😅

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry @thyssenkrupp for hijacking Your thread on a small thing like vent window knob, but I have to disagree on the @mbaum knob comment.
The later cars have indeed round vent window knob but they are different ones. And the very early cars have the ones in the picture. But that said I would not be surprised if many cars came out from the factory with the ones that You have on Your car and they are periodic correct. Probably easier to use also because of the leverage power from the lever.
I have added a picture from a 7/1962 user manual to show the knob.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sorry @thyssenkrupp for hijacking Your thread on a small thing like vent window knob, but I have to disagree on the @mbaum knob comment.
The later cars have indeed round vent window knob but they are different ones. And the very early cars have the ones in the picture. But that said I would not be surprised if many cars came out from the factory with the ones that You have on Your car and they are periodic correct. Probably easier to use also because of the leverage power from the lever.
I have added a picture from a 7/1962 user manual to show the knob.
Mea culpa. I had it the wrong way up regarding the quarter light opener.

From VIN 428001 (Tipo 105.14 + late production column shift cars on), the quarter light opener moved from the more solid, round one to the wing nut design that your car shows. This wing nut design was carried over to the Tipo 105.08, the floor shift TIs (And to the Giulia Super, introduced in 1966). Check page 165 9n Dasse's book for reference.

So gents, check and post your VIN and we can put the topic to bed :) I assume that @Alfa Station's cars are earlier (Since 62 and 63 are likely very low VINs) and @thyssenkrupp's VIN might be after. My floor shift TI has the wing nut design which is correct for it (And the car has a completely original interior).

Hope that helps,

Mike

Reactions: ganunez
121 - 140 of 178 Posts