Alfa Romeo Forums banner
181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Have the small heating radiator overhauled as well if you haven't done so yet. If he loses that, once the car is finished, it's a real nuisance ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
I am actually going back and forth between painting it and leaving it as is.. I mean it tells a story, has dents and scratches, all of which give it a personality. Also, this car has never been welded on! So I dug out the polishing machine again, cleaned one side of the hood, clayed it, and gave it a good polish with a coarse pad/product.
This is the before picture >>

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Did the same inside the engine bay, using a special tool that shoots air with a little dash of chemicals, in my opinion, it looks pretty good, and I like the rustic appearance..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
After I get everything cleaned up, I am thinking about using a little bit of the original "Nero" paint with a small brush to fill in the paint-less gaps here and there.
All the small parts are also ready to be put back on, they have a coat of black rustoleum paint.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Can you show a closeup of how the polished paint looks? It's been repainted?
Andrew
It's a bad picture, as the camera on my phone had a nice oily film on it, but nevertheless.. have a look, although keep in mind, I only spent about 5-10 min with a polisher so there is potential for a better outcome, given more time.

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Yep. I have a just-painted GTV here and I have to say, perfect cars are not my thing.
Andrew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep the patina, use a small brush with touch-up paint, you'll be fine, it will have character, and when people ask you how long you've had it you can tell them that it was the first car you bought when you started driving.😜

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I forgot, but is the paint original? Then definitely keep it. Nothing ever can replace the original paint that was put on the car and the clean up looks decent. I rather spend money with an excellent paint restorer (That can also fill in small and not-so-small chips) than remove the original finishes.

Oh, and if you do not need your rubber mats for the interior, I do :)

Mike

Reactions: John74Berlina

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Re the above comment about how long you've had the car, people ask me regularly if I bought my Super new. I was 8 when it was built. Perhaps I look older than I realize.
Andrew

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
I forgot, but is the paint original? Then definitely keep it. Nothing ever can replace the original paint that was put on the car and the clean up looks decent. I rather spend money with an excellent paint restorer (That can also fill in small and not-so-small chips) than remove the original finishes.

Oh, and if you do not need your rubber mats for the interior, I do :)

Mike
The paint is original :) And so are the mats I am afraid, they are very "concrete like" and some shattered upon being taken out of the car. I am trying to reuse some and source the "cover-overall" optional extra that goes over the driveshaft tunnel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The paint is original :) And so are the mats I am afraid, they are very "concrete like" and some shattered upon being taken out of the car. I am trying to reuse some and source the "cover-overall" optional extra that goes over the driveshaft tunnel.
the original mats are extremely vulnerable and get hard and chalky over time. I have worn a hole in them with the heel of my foot. (which is unforgivable...) I have not found good replacements for them so far. All that is available are overmats, that look really awful.
There are different colours for the doorcards and mats.Yours seem to be black, mine are dark blue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, that is true, many differences, sadly I can't source the correct roof lining for it :/ but I purchased one that is designed for a later model.. not even sure what to do, maybe approach a tailor? Or just install one from a later model?
Here is a picture of my roofliner.
As you can see it is a kind of woolly cloth.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts