Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have finally acquired an old Giulia, initially I was looking for a 1300 in a good nick but then I had to lower my budget and even browsed through a few Nuovas. And in the end, I even backed out of the whole deal thinking it wasn't the right time after all. But there was this one guy who kept the conversation going with me, and asked for an offer, reluctantly I did give him one, and ended up with a 63 Giulia 1600Ti, column shift and a bench... Mind you, original black ;) Dented and all that, but not very rusty if I dare say so, as I havent had it up on a lift quite yet and its been sitting in the garage since I got it...

About a month ago we loaded up the trusty Mercedes (with tranny problems) and took off in the midst of the corona crisis and all, the guy selling it was actually sick with corona at the time! So it was quite a sketchy deal to pull off, but we were determined. The Giulia was about one hour drive from Rotterdam, Holland, so we made a swift journey from Sweden down through Germany with a quick stop at Bertelsbeck Alfa for a few spare parts, before picking it up.

The journey home was rather uneventful aside from the GPS taking us on a wild goose chase where we got stuck behind a little painter's van that suddenly slammed the brakes and took a right without any forewarning, we stood on the brakes, and you guessed it, the Giulia came loose on the trailer...we nearly lost it, it was matter of luck and physics...
Anyhow, we got her home around midnight and pushed her into the garage where she has been sitting for a month now, untouched, as I am finishing a 164 daily driver project at the moment, and we have a few other things to get done before I start ordering parts for the Giulia.

The story goes... the seller bought the car in Italy in the 90's, engine was overhauled and the car was supposed to be renovated, sadly or rather luckily on my part, it never came to that, and it spent nearly 30 years in a heated garage. From first impression, I can see that the engine has been in and out of the car, but I cannot say anything for sure at this point, as I have not tested the compression or tried starting it. The oil smells funny, something is telling me there is gas in it :( so I suspect the fuel pump seal is bad, and I sincerely hope that the oil wasn't too thin for the main bearings during its last drive.

Its a dream come true for me, I am already planning on taking her on a few trips, one of which being a winter drive to North Cape.
The idea is to renovate the interior, all the suspension components along with the dunlop brakes leaving the exterior more or less untouched. I dont want a perfect show car, there are too many of those around. As the body is quite good, aside from dents and scratches, I want to remove the rust and preserve it in the best way that I can. Some might look down on that, but, that is how I look at it... keeping the patina. What do you guys think of all this? I am Norwegian, live in Sweden now days, and work in Denmark, so the car is at the garage in Sweden where the story will unfold.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and I have all the documents for it... from the good old days, I might scan them and post the pictures here

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a "few" questions...as I dont plan on changing much from the original spec, but that being said I could see myself putting 165 tires on the existing 15" wheels, would that be too much? Should I stick to the original Cinturato?

·
Registered
1968 Giulia Super - Bollino D'Oro
55 Posts
Hello and congratulations on the Giulia. Looks like a great project. It looks to be in great shape and it just needs a good cleaning/wash/wax/paint restoration with chrome cleaning and it will look fantastic.

I also recently purchased a Giulia Super. I put on 185/65 tires on 15' wheels and they fit fine.

I do have some advice/options based on my experience. I have purchased 15+ cars over the last 10 years. My first project was a 1966 VW bus and I rushed into restoring it, it turned out beautiful. I learned I should have driven it for a year, fixed the mechanicals first before doing a full restoration to determine the things I really wanted to replace.

Since then, I make a point to fix mechanicals first of course, brakes, steering, engine. Polish paint, get rid of surface rust etc. Drive it for a while and see if you really love the car. If so then keep fixing things.

Polishing chrome is easy. Your Giulia car will look great. Here is a trick for chrome. Coca-Cola and aluminum foil will remove surface rust.
there are other tricks out there too. Good luck and take pictures along the preservation journey.
Cheers,

phil

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and congratulations on the Giulia. Looks like a great project. It looks to be in great shape and it just needs a good cleaning/wash/wax/paint restoration with chrome cleaning and it will look fantastic.

I also recently purchased a Giulia Super. I put on 185/65 tires on 15' wheels and they fit fine.

I do have some advice/options based on my experience. I have purchased 15+ cars over the last 10 years. My first project was a 1966 VW bus and I rushed into restoring it, it turned out beautiful. I learned I should have driven it for a year, fixed the mechanicals first before doing a full restoration to determine the things I really wanted to replace.

Since then, I make a point to fix mechanicals first of course, brakes, steering, engine. Polish paint, get rid of surface rust etc. Drive it for a while and see if you really love the car. If so then keep fixing things.

Polishing chrome is easy. Your Giulia car will look great. Here is a trick for chrome. Coca-Cola and aluminum foil will remove surface rust.
there are other tricks out there too. Good luck and take pictures along the preservation journey.
Cheers,

phil
Hi Phil,
The pictures do lie a little, it is quite rough, but then again, everything is relative... as for the tire size, I would like to stay away from wide stuff, these cars weren't meant for wide tires, but rather stay nimble with skinny Cinturatos or XAS. So I would love to see some pictures of original wheels fitted with a 165, preferably vintage tire, as that is the widest I am willing to go :)
In terms of the chrome, I can try to remove some rust with coke as mentioned, and polish it up so it doesn't rust immediately after.
The interior has been attacked by mice, sadly, I will need a new ceiling, door cards are not holding together, seats are ok, but the carpets are also in need of a replacement. Speaking of which, I have searched a little for a carpet but all of them seem to have the cutout for the shifter in the middle, and since mine is an early model, well, the shifter is on the column. Also, there is a rather cool black and white rubber mat on top of the carpet that I would like to source, as mine is looking rather sad. Otherwise, I am glad people agree on fixing it up and putting it to good use !!
I will update this thread as soon as I lay my hands on it ;) Which should be quite soon!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Absolutely agree with keeping the patina. I've never seen a black Ti. I love seeing cars that are mechanically sorted (so you know the owner cares) but are showing their age proudly on the outside. Haven't driven a column shift 105 but I am sure it will just add to that period driving feel! Congrats on the purchase.

Reactions: Sergio105

·
Registered
267 Posts
It looks fantastic, congrats!
Did the Guilia have 165 R15 or 155 R15 as original tires?
Either way I went with Vredestein Sprint Classic on my GT junior, easy to come by and look and feel great 😁

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It looks fantastic, congrats!
Did the Guilia have 165 R15 or 155 R15 as original tires?
Either way I went with Vredestein Sprint Classic on my GT junior, easy to come by and look and feel great 😁
Do you have any pictures of your tires? What wheels did you use? And tire size? :) Original size is 155, but I wouldn't mind going to 165

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
My 1973 came with 14" steel wheels. The OEM size was 165 14.

I bought a used set of TZ replica alloys (15"x 5.5") and put Sprint Classics in 175 / 70HR15 because that size matched the original spec O.D. the best.

So if it helps, here is a picture of 175 / 70HR15 on a '73. The wide angle lens make them look wider than in person

·
Registered
287 Posts
Beautiful car and your idea of keeping it is just as great! There are fewer and fewer Giulia sedans prior to 1965 and I believe that they must be preserved and above all respected in their originality. The black color is also very rare. In my opinion 155-15 are fine. The Pirellis (IMHO) are the best in this measure, just below Michelin and Vredestein (not in "H" though). Greetings and congratulations again!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
@thyssenkrupp - Congrats on that purchase. The early cars are very rare. In my opinion, the 1600 TIs with the drum speedo are the ones to get and they are increasingly more cherished due to the additional details of the early cars (Ask me how I know ... I bought a 64 TI last year ...).

Your car looks delightfully complete, including rarer pieces such as the steering wheel (If my eyes don't fail me) and rear bumper (They are unique to early TIs because the over riders are a bit closer together compared to 1966 TIs and Supers). I would love to see more pictures of this car and the interior (Many unique pieces there as well).

I agree with your philosophy to turn into a nice driver. Unsure if the black color - rare if indeed original to the car - the original paint. But it looks like it can be made into an awesome driver. keep us posted on the work. And congrats again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will take and upload more pictures on Sunday, I am just finishing up something else at the moment.
@mbaum It is indeed original as it says Nero in the original paper work ;)

Take a look here in the meantime guys..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally, first wash and quick round of scrubbing 30 years of dust and grime went well.. due to non existing door seals 3 out of 4 doors were practically filled up with water and had to be drained out..
Anyhow, she is finally on jack stands and the work can begin. I have done a few things so far, and have a faint idea of how to proceed.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am in need of one of the wheels pictured along with two hub caps.
Seeing the ATE brakes I am starting to doubt the originality and the year of the car, however, the previous owner states that it has been sitting ever since it came from Italy, which I absolutely believe :) And according to Fusi,some cars got a mix and match of components Dunlop/ATE/drums, could this be the case?

I have taken off the entire rear end and planning to go through everything, get it sanded and painted + assembled with new bushings, hoses, pads, and so on.
Starting with the back end and moving forward.

Got an extra Solex C32 PAIA7 carb for it as well, in case mine has vacuum leaks in the known places, perhaps I will end up putting some brass bushings in, as webcon sells a universal for that sole purpose..
As for tire/wheel combo, I am going with original steelies + either Cinturato or Vredestein Classic Sprint in 155r15 trim.

Feel free to come with ideas and whichever springs to mind when u see this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 192 Posts