Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1963 2600 Spider and need to know what Touring badges are correct for this car? I see 30 mm, 50 mm and 85 mm Touring badges for sale from OKP.

·
Push hard and live
10,180 Posts
Touring seemed to wake up with a new idea every day. I’ve had several 2000’s, and none were identical to the others.

That said, they tried to leave the Art Deco of the 2000 behind, and shift to muscle-car simplicity on the 2600. IIRC, the most consistent wing-element is the 2 1/2-3”, two-prong wings on the sides, just forward of the doors.

I’ve seen wings on 2600 hoods, but they were larger than the tiny ones typically seen on 2000s. I’ve also seen 2600s with no wings, but suspect the quick spiff-ups in the 70s and 80s might have just bondo’d over mysterious holes for which the wings had been lost.

Ive seen similar 3”-ish wings on the dash.

·
Push hard and live
10,180 Posts
Hmmmm. Sounds large for the hood wings. Are there two stud holes on each side of the hood? If only one, then I doubt the hood would have had 85mm

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
On the 2600 Spider, the badge sizes are 50 mm for the hood and 85 mm for the fenders.

·
Registered
498 Posts
On the 2600 Spider, the badge sizes are 50 mm for the hood and 85 mm for the fenders.
Hi Ruedi,

What are the correct Touring badges? I have 3 units 50mm but one of them is different. Which ones are correct?

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
I don't have Giovanni Felice Bianchi Anderloni's book "Carrozzeria Touring" (the blue 2-volume book) handy. From memory, I recall he described that the company name was formally changed from "Carrozzeria Touring" to "Touring Superleggera" in about 1962. So, it is conceivable that the "Touring Milano" badge was from before the name change, and the "Touring Superleggera Milano" badge from after the name change -- which also explains why the "Superleggera" name then was used on a steel-bodied car, practically in violation of the patented and trade-marked "aluminum skin over tubular frame" body construction Touring had become famous for.

Now, whether or not the old badges were used up before switching to the new badges and/or whether all 106 cars had a "Touring Superleggera Milano" badge, I don't know. My 2600 Spider (AR 191437, manufactured on 12-Jan-1963) had the "Touring Superleggera Milano" badge -- I tend to believe (but I cannot be 100% sure) that it was original to the car.

In this context, it is worth noting that the white 2600 Spider with the 102 hubcaps that was used in early (presumably 1962) press pictures and in the pictures in the owner's manual doesn't have Touring badges at all (maybe the design was not yet finalized and/or the badges were not ready yet?), but the car in the 1963 Road & Track road test (also with 102 hubcaps) most certainly did (see mote Getty Images pictures here) -- but the resolution may not be high enough (due to film grain) to see which kind they were.

So, as usual with many things Alfa Romeo, things (and history) are not quite as clear-cut as one would hope for.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't have Giovanni Felice Bianchi Anderloni's book "Carrozzeria Touring" (the blue 2-volume book) handy. From memory, I recall he described that the company name was formally changed from "Carrozzeria Touring" to "Touring Superleggera" in about 1962. So, it is conceivable that the "Touring Milano" badge was from before the name change, and the "Touring Superleggera Milano" badge from after the name change -- which also explains why the "Superleggera" name then was used on a steel-bodied car, practically in violation of the patented and trade-marked "aluminum skin over tubular frame" body construction Touring had become famous for.

Now, whether or not the old badges were used up before switching to the new badges and/or whether all 106 cars had a "Touring Superleggera Milano" badge, I don't know. My 2600 Spider (AR 191437, manufactured on 12-Jan-1963) had the "Touring Superleggera Milano" badge -- I tend to believe (but I cannot be 100% sure) that it was original to the car.

In this context, it is worth noting that the white 2600 Spider with the 102 hubcaps that was used in early (presumably 1962) press pictures and in the pictures in the owner's manual doesn't have Touring badges at all (maybe the design was not yet finalized and/or the badges were not ready yet?), but the car in the 1963 Road & Track road test (also with 102 hubcaps) most certainly did (see mote Getty Images pictures here) -- but the resolution may not be high enough (due to film grain) to see which kind they were.

So, as usual with many things Alfa Romeo, things (and history) are not quite as clear-cut as one would hope for.

View attachment 1648805

View attachment 1648806

Well, in this case it is a difficult car as it is an ealry 2600. It as the front opening bonnet as a 102 and, throughout the body restoration, we have found metalwork from factory that converted the body from a 102 to a 106. This means that the body was originally a 102 and then it was converted to 106 before it left the factory bodyshop.

The car came to us disassembled so all we got was these 3 badges in boxes. They can be correct and belong to the car or not...

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Well, in this case it is a difficult car as it is an ealry 2600. It as the front opening bonnet as a 102 and, throughout the body restoration, we have found metalwork from factory that converted the body from a 102 to a 106. This means that the body was originally a 102 and then it was converted to 106 before it left the factory bodyshop.

The car came to us disassembled so all we got was these 3 badges in boxes. They can be correct and belong to the car or not...
If it was a 102 car, it would have the older type of badge (before the company name change).

Could you please start a new thread and post the chassis number and some pictures of your car that show the changes that you described? I'm sure there will be many interesting things to cover.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
FWIW, the 102 and 106 parts catalogs list the same Alfa parts number for the emblem on the hood: 102.04.56.044.00 (the 106 parts catalogs also list Touring number 1.01.16.101 for that part). So, from that perspective, there shouldn't be any difference -- but there probably was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts