Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im new to this place and really don't know too much about alfa's. My father has what i think is a 62 spider, it is in bad shape as it has been neglected and outdoors for years. My father took off on us, leaving behind a few things including this car. Im just wondering if this car would be worth anything to someone, if its even worth it for someone to take on a project like this. I know it did run , but not sure anymore. It has alot of rust, a broken bleeder valve for the rear brakes and did i mention alot of rust! It has the hardtop with it, and i kind of remember hearing it might be worth something. I have no interest in restoring it and if its even worth it would like to see it go to someone who has a passion for these cars. So i guess my question is when do these car go past the point of restoring, and if it is worth anything about how much should i ask for it? Sorry for the vagueness of the condition and lack of photos i just dont know what else to say besides major body rot.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You really should post some pictures to get any meaningful feedback and opinions- there's a lot of variables in the value, such as whether the hardtop is factory or aftermarket, if the spider is a Normale or Veloce (higher performance from the factory, dual carbs, better brakes, etc), whether it's a 1300 cc (Giulietta) or 1600 cc (Giulia). It's also possible this could be a 2000cc Touring Spider or even a 2600cc Touring spider- I'm not sure what years apply to these, but a '62 could easily fall in this range. A lot of Alfisti out there won't be too scared off from some rust, depending on the model spider and how extensive the rust really is. The car may only be a candidate for a donor car to another restoration, or could be restorable to the right buyer (there's some real gluttons for punishment out there!), but in any case, some pictures will really help your cause, or even having a local Alfa club member inspect the car and report on this thread. These model Alfas are beautiful and definitely worth saving- good luck!:D

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB, fishon11!

It would be best if you could post the chassis number and some pictures of the car, so that the members here can tell you what exactly you might have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thank you for the quick responses, 2000 sounds familiar to me, also where would i find the chassis number? I will try to post some pictures i just dont have a digi camera. I am on Long island, NY so if there is anyone out there that would be interested in taking a look i be more than happy to accomodate. Im pretty sure the hardtop is original, if the car didnt come with it then i doubt my father would buy one. Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Spider numbers

There are 2 main numbers:

VIN Number: Located in the window on a stamped metal tag.

Chassis Number: Stamped in the center of the firewall inside the engine compartment. Something like: AR115.XX*XXXX.XXX*

If you are lucky there is a tag still attached (pop riveted) to the inside latch of the drivers door. The year it was made will be there as well as another copy of the VIN number.

The engine number or symbol will be located on the head of the engine between it and the radiator. I have a 1981 Spider and the number stamped/cast into the head is a large circle with '2.0' in the center. Other engines have triangles, lines or boxes inside the circle. There is a great resource web site with some of the ID stuff:
http://www.veloce.se/

On this web site you will find the email address and name of someone at the Alfa factory who will use the AR115.xxxx number and give you information like this:

Alfa Romeo Factory email:
"According to our documentation files, the chassis number ZAR 115xxxxxxxxxxx originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 USA, engine no. 0A90xxx, manufactured on the 21st April 1980 and sold on the 5th May 1981 on the American market. The body colour is ivory."

Oh, and post some pictures if you can. There are some real good mechanics around here who might give you odds on your cars salvage or restoration prospects. Engine bay, rocker panels, interior, paint, exterior body panels etc...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I could be wrong but I doubt that there would be a plate on the drivers door or the windshield in 1962. I'm not sure when that started, it may have been late 60s in the US. My Canadian 69 GTV had neither.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
1981 Spider

He is talking about a spider. At least that is the posts title.

My 1981 Spider had both.

Where are they on your car? I suppose the factory had creative places for these items.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Doh!

DOH!!!!

Too late in the day. My brain cog slipped. I read 1982! He wrote 1962.

My bad. Dumb dumb dumb.

Oh well. The veloce.se web site can REALLY help him then.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
There are 2 main numbers:

VIN Number: Located in the window on a stamped metal tag.

Chassis Number: Stamped in the center of the firewall inside the engine compartment. Something like: AR115.XX*XXXX.XXX*

If you are lucky there is a tag still attached (pop riveted) to the inside latch of the drivers door. The year it was made will be there as well as another copy of the VIN number.

The engine number or symbol will be located on the head of the engine between it and the radiator. I have a 1981 Spider and the number stamped/cast into the head is a large circle with '2.0' in the center. Other engines have triangles, lines or boxes inside the circle. There is a great resource web site with some of the ID stuff:
http://www.veloce.se/
This information is incorrect for 1962 cars. The chassis number is stamped into the firewall. For 102 (2000) and 106 (2600) cars, it would be near the center of the firewall. For 750 cars (Giulietta) it would be in the firewall but towards the driver side. The engine number would be stamped into the side of the block below the carburetors for 750/101 and 106 cars, and on the front for 102 cars.

The first picture shows where the numbers are in Giuliettas, the 2nd on 2000 cars, and the third on 2600 cars. (All pictures from a www.CarDisc.com CDs).

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys, have not been able to get my hands on a camera, and the hood latch seems to be frozen so i cant get in to take a look at the chassis number. But the car looks exactly like the one in the drawing at the bottom of Tubuts post there, the convertable. I will try again tomorrow to locate a camera and get in under the hood. But im pretty sure now it is a 1962 2000 spider, from looking at images on the internet. Again guys, i appreciate your help and prompt responses. thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts