Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 62 Giulietta clutch is starting to slip. It is a bit strange that the problem is worse with cold engine but improves as I drive 10-15 minutes. I have two quesitons:

1) Is there an adjustment in the linkage from pedal to clutch where the problem can be addressed? and
2) When reversing, the transmission pops out of reverse back to neutral. Is this a separate problem with transmission/

Thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
It's unlikely to be the linkage, unfortunately, but you can check that the lever into the transmission is fully released with your foot off the clutch to verify.

Transmission popping out of reverse is often a sagging transmission mount causing the lever to interfere with the body. You can remove the outer boot from transmission tower to body as a test: if that fixes it then the mount is likely your problem, otherwise It's likely wear in the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
10,636 Posts
My 62 Giulietta clutch is starting to slip. It is a bit strange that the problem is worse with cold engine but improves as I drive 10-15 minutes.
1) Is there an adjustment in the linkage from pedal to clutch where the problem can be addressed?
Gubi is probably right when he says "It's unlikely to be the linkage, unfortunately ". But you might luck out here - does the clutch release at the top of the pedal throw? If so, it could be the linkage.

To answer your question, yes, there are two places where the clutch can be adjusted:

- There is a threaded adjustment on the rod that pulls the throw out fork. If it is under tension with the clutch pedal at rest, that could be the issue. You might try lengthening that rod.

- There are three nuts on the pressure plate that are accessible when the sheetmetal cover is removed from beneath the flywheel. Loosening each one slightly (or do you tighten them?) might solve it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response. I checked the linkage. It is solid but there is about an 1/8 inch distance from the rest position to the far end of the opening in the clutch housing. I will try to align the lever as close to the edge of the opening as possible.
I will open the clutch housing (metal cover) off to see about the nuts on the pressure plate. Do these have to be in synch in any way?
Thanks again, Kamran

1 - 4 of 4 Posts