Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Paint

Pictures of the paint under the license plate holder. The paint has not been cleaned or polished.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thankyou There are many books now published or planned to be published on the 2600 . What I think would be more useful would be an archive of detail photos such as yours and a compendium of the best bits from this board done in the style of the Alfa Technical service bulletins and indexed for easy reference.

Do you have the toolbox? More photos please

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great !

And here is the black and white bungee cord (the small one has been replaced ...)

Could you please share pictures of the license plate light. I would like to see if the grooves are black painted.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
A quick note on color: When I looked at the ledgers in the Alfa Romeo archive a few years ago, I noticed that some cars were listed with "R.A." for Rosso Alfa and others with "rosso" (typically written in lower case). To this day, I'm not sure whether this indicates there were two different reds (which I've come to believe might be possible), or just a fluke or preference or daily mood of how the same or different people wrote entries in the hand-written ledgers.

With respect to 191190, I get the impression it might be a lighter red than the "normal" AR 501 of the period that some brown tones (like dried blood) in it -- but the color accuracy of digital photos and monitors cannot be trusted without calibration of both. There was a notion or rumor for some time that USA models (especially on Series 2 cars) used a different red because the sunlight in California had a different color temperature than the color temperature in Italy (as a function of latitude and atmospheric conditions like humidity, etc).

Then, there is also the notion that Alfa changed the color over time (i.e. that variants of the same color existed).

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ian,
Here are pictures of the tool box, unfortunately, it is missing many of the tools:

Serge,
Yes, the small bungee (for the jack?) has been replaced.

And yes, the grooves are painted black.
I hope all this helps.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes that help a lot. Thanks !
All are small details that describe precisely how was the car originally.
The small bungee is for the jack and the wrench.

Many people doubt that the groove are black painted : Here we have a good proof !

Serge

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Keith , toolbox itself looks great , few are in better condition now. Tools are a great base to start from as they are in good condition , a great pity a few have gone . What you have on its own is worth around $1,000 these days! Any further tools are in the "unobtanium" league these days. With individual spanners now priced at over $100

Although Afra have a toolbox for sale here at Euro 2022 ( Actually less correct tools than you have)

I have a post running called "tools for the have nots"

Which gives hints on how to replicate most tools.

My current winter projects

1. I have found an 8-10 spanner same size made in Russia . Which I will grind text off and replace with a transfer of correct Alfa Romeo text.

2. Rebuilding a similar American tyre pressure gauge to fit the box, with copy gauge face

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes but the OKP box is a replica. I may be wrong but I assume the Afra parts are original . what they had left thrown in a box?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Gosh -- even the rubber straps are in great condition!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great !

Here is a nice picture of the "banana" so important to have a nice look.

The result on my previous 2600 T :

Could you please provide us more details of this part. That will help a lot of people.
This part is always a weak point on most of the restauration.

Serge

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Keith, your interior looks completely original, its good to hear that you are keeping it

I have "found" another complete interior from a low mileage car. Similar to yours,It is in good enough condition to go back in after all the foam bases are replaced. Makes the replacement interior in my car look cheap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Keith
I asume the gray boot cover is your and looks exactly like mine . I never liked the way my banana fit under my boot and assumed it was sewn incorrect to my boot ? Apparently not as you banan/boot is identicle ?

I really like the the banana design on the beutiful black 2600 with red interior ! Now i have to figure how to make one as im thinking of replacing my banana ?

I also showed some great "grey" polish in my photo that i have been using for years on my leather . It really helps bring up the grey leather once you cleaned it really well ?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Great !

Here is a nice picture of the "banana" so important to have a nice look.

View attachment 1667723

The result on my previous 2600 T :

View attachment 1667724 View attachment 1667725 View attachment 1667726

Could you please provide us more details of this part. That will help a lot of people.
This part is always a weak point on most of the restauration.

Serge
Serge,

To make sure that I am helping as much as possible, which details would you like to see?

The cover is currently at the upholsterer, I can go there and take more pictures if that will help you. The foam does seem to be in remarkably good condition and may not need to be replaced at this time.

Keith

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Here is my first challenge...

When I received the car, I noticed the driver's seat back would not stay upright. The reclining pawl would slip one tooth at a time until the seat back was leaning too far back to drive the car.

After I took the recline mechanism apart, I found that the seat back support itself was bent, twisted and starting to tear. I then checked the passenger seat and it's support is also bent, however to a much less extent.

So far, I have been unable to find anyone capable of straightening the support to it's original shape. I tried myself with no success. I can get them re-plated if I can get them straightened. Additionally, there is one reinforcement "doubler" on the inside and I would like to install another "doubler" to further strengthen it if possible.

Overall, it seems the seat has a design shortcoming with only one seat back support on the outboard side of the seat. This single support has to hold all the driver/passenger's weight against the seat back and tends to twist.

Does anyone have any experience with repairing bent Spider seat supports?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

P1030073.JPG
P1120090 (2).JPG
P1120092 (2).JPG
P1120093 (2).JPG
P1120094 (2).JPG

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hello Keith,

Personally I do not need details on the "banana" because I have no more 2600T.
But like I said, this part is very often missing and a lot of people might have a huge interest in getting more details.
I suppose, the dimensions, images of it in all over directions, the way it is fixed.

Regarding your "challenge", I imagine a Boilermaker could help you. The part need to be to be heated . Rechroming will be need afterwards.
This is the first time that I see such damage ...
When the parts will be repaired, you will need an explanation regarding the spring. Here you can find help:

# 279

41 - 60 of 68 Posts