Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to restore my 1961 Sprint Veloce thirty years ago. I rebuilt the engine, transmission, new clutch, chrome plated most of the parts, bought a new wiring harness, painted the engine compartment, and purchased many parts. I am now doing a frame up restoration. The car will be completely stripped to the chassis and sent out to a body and paint shop. The suspension was rebuilt by Alfa Romeo in El Segundo, California in the early 1970's, and the rear end was also rebuilt by Alfa Romeo. The remaining chrome pieces that were not plated will be done by a plating shop in Escondido, California. The owner chrome plated a 1930's Bugatti that will be entered in a Florida Concourse. The interior will be completely replaced. I will use original parts that were purchased decades ago, and the car should look like it did when my Father purchased it in June, 1961. I plan to keep the car in the garage and maybe show the car at a local car show. The local car show has an Italian car show and many owners bring their expensive Ferrari cars to that show. I think that bring an Alfa Romeo may not be a good idea. It is hard to compete with million dollars Ferraris.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I plan to keep the car in the garage and maybe show the car at a local car show. The local car show has an Italian car show and many owners bring their expensive Ferrari cars to that show. I think that bring an Alfa Romeo may not be a good idea. It is hard to compete with million dollars Ferraris.
Go for it, you never know what might happen. Last summer I took my '59 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint to a Ferrari and Friends Concorso held in West Hartford, CT, and received the "Best Restoration Trophy", the second highest trophy they awarded.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,
I thank you for your information. I am restoring the car because I am also cleaning up the garage. I have gotten rid of all of my 750 parts, 105 parts and Alfetta parts.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lionel,
I have taken many photos of my car, but you cannot see much details of the car. The body work has been completed and the car will be painted next month. I will take the camera to the body shop and take some photos. I really believe that you cannot see the flaws in the body by looking at photos.
John

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lionel,
I will be picking up all of the chrome plated parts from the plating shop on December 21, 2013. They plated the 1930 Type 46 Bugatti parts that won best of its class at the 2013 Pebble Beach Concours. I forgot how many parts I sent to the plating shop, but I even sent screws for plating. I need to give the plated front grills to the body shop for proper fitting. I hope to finish the car within one year. The body should be finished in January, the plating is almost done, the engine, transmission, clutch and all of the mechanical parts were rebuilt twenty years ago, purchased a new wiring harness from Lionel twenty years ago, purchased most of parts thirty years, except for some of the rubber gaskets.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plated parts will not be finished until the first week of January, but I do not have any body to mount the parts. I am in the process of finding out what rubber gaskets I need to finish the restoration. I also need to send the nuts and bolts to the zinc oxide plating company as well as the cad plated parts. I will have to have the brake drums bead blasted and finish painting the suspension and other mechanical parts. I restored a 1957 Spider more than thirty years ago and forgot how much work it is to restore any automobile. I find it difficult to attach photos to my posts.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sprint Veloce Body Shop Photos

I am attaching some photos of my 1961 Sprint Veloce in the body shop. The body work has been completed and need the front grills for the final fitting before painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have purchased a new battery tray from Alfa Stop that will be welded into the trunk. I removed it many years ago because it was rusted due to battery acid. The plating will be picked up from Sanchez Plating on the first Saturday of next year. I hope that the body will be finished by the end of January, 2014.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I the body shop took photos of the areas that needed replacement. The bottom of both doors were replaced. The passenger side door sill and a four inch section of the rear window were replaced. The driver and passenger side rocker panels were replaced. There were small rusted areas and some holes left from previous body repair. I think that the body should look as good as new.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Great story, thanks! I will be watching with interest!

·
Registered
395 Posts
What was the original color/interior, and are you returning it to these colors? Which shops are doing the body/engine work etc? (From a fellow Sprint owner in the LA area)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The original color was white with blue and white interior. The interior was original and the exterior was also the original white color. I will restore the car to the original exterior and interior colors. I rebuilt the engine twenty years ago. I had Alan Ward and Donald Deane rebuild the transmission years ago. I am having A Universal Body Shop in Gardena fix and paint the body. The plating is being done by Sanchez Polishing. The interior will be redone by a very good shop in La Jolla. The car should be done by the middle of this year.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I restored a 1957 Spider forty years ago, but not a frame up restoration. I drove the car for seventeen years and sold it in 1989. I am doing a much higher level of restoration with this car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Aren't you glad you kept it all these years? Looks like you got away with minimal (relative) metal replacement- that's huge. I'll be following your progress with interest. And keep the pics coming!

Phil

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The cost of restoring a car is still very high and when you finish the insurance costs are high as well.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just picked up the chrome plated parts from Sanchez Polishing including 140 plated screws. I took the front grills to the body shop and now the body can be painted. The center grill looked great. I will unwrap all of the plated parts in the next few days. I saw two photos of cars that had won best of class at Pebble Beach using Sanchez Plating.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts