Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am seeking knowledge for a 1961 giulietta sprint normale vs a 1961 giulietta sprint veloce. What are some of the differences between the two? I understand the mechanical differences with engine and drivetrain. I'm more interested in the physical body differences. Example, I believe the veloce had an air scoop located in the grill on the front left side of the car, different scroll badging on the front fenders etc... Any details would be a great help! Thank you.

·
Administrator
3,988 Posts
Both Normale & Veloce have an air scoop in the LHS air collector, the Veloce has a second one located on top of the first one which picks air up from a hole in the top of the main air collector - this feeds the front hole in the inner wing which feeds the air box for the carbs.

The boot / trunk floor is different, the Veloce has a ridge running the width of the floor from the filler neck turret to the rear firewall to accommodate the breather pipe on the bigger Veloce fuel tank, Veloce has a Bendix fuel pump under the rear seat area, (powered by an additional pink wire in the harness), with a blank off plate under the distributor, the Normale only has a mechanical fuel pump under the distributor

The big tank, 83 litres as opposed to the 53 on the Normale, hangs a bit lower and wraps around the diff pumpkin, needs different straps

Also requires a different handbrake cable set-up as the tank tucks right up to the diff side tubes so the Normale type T shapes cable arrangement won't fit so the Veloce has an additional bracket under the floor to take a U shaped pair of cables to each backing plate, This necessitates a special pair of backing plates each with a purpose made bracket to receive these cables

Inside the car the speedo and rev counter read higher in numbers than the Normale, this is true for Metric & Imperial versions. the triple gauge is the same

Under the hood, obviously the twin carbs and inlet manifold, air box, tubular exhaust headers, 2 part cast aluminium oil pan etc, etc, the usual stuff that you see. The engine dedignation numbers are different, Veloce blocks are 00106*xxxxx while Normale blocks are 00102*xxxxx. While the blocks are actually dimensionally identical, the difference comes in the bearing caps as the Normale ones are cast with the centre having 2 ears on it for the oil pick up, while the Veloce ones are forged and deeper in section for added stiffness with no ears on the centre one. The engine internals are slightly different, higher compression pistons, different cams etc. The heads are identical, with the Veloce version being skimmed a touch thinner to bump up the compression ratio. Oil vent pipes are different. The Veloce has an extra metal pipe under the carbs to route the heater water piping to the water pump.

The Tipo plates read 10106 Sprint Veloce Vs 10102 Sprint

Electrics on the Veloce are Marelli, the Normale is Bosch (Could have been Lucas, but mainly Bosch).

The badging on the fenders says Giulietta sprintveloce Vs Giulietta sprint

The badging on the trunk / boot lid says sprintveloce Vs sprint

Cam cover is different in 2 ways - the cast boss at the right rear is undrilled and has no stud (Normale has a stud for the air filter bracket) and the holes for the 6 cam cover nuts are bigger with the plinths milled down to take the thin Veloce cam cover nuts

Sheet metal differences under the hood are limited to a welded bracket for the oil pan rebound bump stop and no blanking plate for the LHS inner wing front hole.

The earlier 750 cars have a whole host more differences, but for 1961 this more or less sums it up

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Thank you for the info. How about the interior? Would it have stayed the same? Choke delete, radio delete plate? Other exterior accessories like antenna hole, different rear bumper?

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
How about the interior? Would it have stayed the same?
Yes, I think the interiors were unchanged between normale and veloce.

Choke delete
Someone more knowledgeable than I should comment

radio delete plate
Like the interior, no difference.

antenna hole
Those were drilled by the dealers, so would differ from car-to-car, but not be a normale/veloce thing.

different rear bumper?
I can't imagine that the bumpers would have differed; what leads you to believe that they might?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I restored a 1957 spider veloce and figured out a normale had a different rear bumper. A normale bumper will have two separate plate lights while a veloce will have a single centered one. Same goes for the interior. When Alfa made the spider"normale" it had a single solex carb with a choke, then the veloce came with dual webbers with no choke and deleted the switch completely with a chrome button.

·
Administrator
3,988 Posts
I restored a 1957 spider veloce and figured out a normale had a different rear bumper. A normale bumper will have two separate plate lights while a veloce will have a single centered one.
No the rear bumpers on all the 750 Spiders had a single centre number plate light up to the early to mid 07000's which would coincide with the arrival of the LWB so the rear bumpers on the still designated 1495 Interim / transition Spiders and then through the 101 Spiders to the end of production had the two separate lights.

Ciao
Greig

·
Administrator
3,988 Posts
Back to your '61 Sprint, Jay & Karen are spot on as usual, the 101 had a choke knob as it had DCOE carbs. The bumpers on a '61 Sprint Veloce are chromed steel, same as the Normale, the interior is identical excepting for the speedometer and rev counter.

Don't confuse the spec of the early 750E Lightweights with your later 10106 Sprint Veloce, they are very different creatures and despite both being Giulietta Sprint Veloce's they share only a handful of components.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
The 101 1300 SS and SZ had three shoe front brakes, but I own a 1961 Sprint Veloce and it has two shoe front brakes. The Veloce front brake shoes are larger than the Normale shoes and the rear brake shoes are the same, but the Veloce rear shoes have a different rivet pattern drilled into them.

There are many differences between a 1961 Sprint and 1961 Sprint Veloce and I will try to list what I have found:

Veloce engine 10106 Sprint engine 10102
Differential Veloce 4:10 vs. 4:56
Clutch pressure plate
Gas tank Veloce 80 or 90 liters
Front brake shoes larger on Veloce
Rear brake shoes different hole pattern
Emergency brake system is different due to larger gas tank
Electric fuel pump on Veloce
Fuel regulator on Veloce
Webers on Veloce Solex on Normale
Different air cleaner and extra air hose and duct work on body
Different tach and speedometer and speedometer drive on transmission
Brass scrip on side of car and trunk
Veloce uses Marelli starter, generator, voltage regulator, distributor and coil versus Normale Lucas electrics
Veloce horn button said Special Normale horn button said Sprint
Veloce had larger front sway bar
Veloce used different front and rear springs

I probably have missed some differences, but most of them are mechanical and very few are connected to the body. The 750 Sprint Veloce light weight cars have many aluminum panels to decrease weight and also used plastic driver and passenger windows for the same reason.

·
Administrator
3,988 Posts
Kuni is right, the Sprint Veloce's all had the 2 shoe front brakes and while they are the same swept area as the Normale's the actual aluminium shoe is thicker or deeper on the web as they were expected to handle harder braking.

Veloce horn button said Special Normale horn button said Sprint - Erm....NO the Spiders had the horn button saying Special, the Sprint horn button just says Sprint for both Normale & Veloce

The Sprint Veloce springs were 10mm shorter than the Normale ones, it's all in the Parts Catalogue

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kuni is right, the Sprint Veloce's all had the 2 shoe front brakes and while they are the same swept area as the Normale's the actual aluminium shoe is thicker or deeper on the web as they were expected to handle harder braking.
Ok. Thanks. Still a newbe at the world of Giulietta's. Thought the 3 brake shoes are a Veloce item. Great to learn from the guys who know. Thought it was an Veloce item as my 61 SV has the 3 shoe front brakes. Must have been modified back in the day

·
Administrator
3,988 Posts
One thing I didn't mention is that the Veloce hubs are scalloped to offset the additional weight of the thicker shoes and of course to reduce unsprung weight. Normale hubs are round. You can see the thicker Veloce shoes and scalloped hubs vs the thinner Normale shoes & round hub.

In practice you cannot tell which brakes are fitted, both the Normale & the Veloce set-ups are just so good - remember that they raced Normale's and Ti's up and down the mountains of Italy & France (Mille Miglia; Coupe des Alps etc) on the stock Normale brakes and they were very successful. The drums are huge and are actually overkill for the size of the chassis which is why they are so good.

The Veloce pressure plate had an additional stiffening ring around the springs & this slightly stronger plate then found its way into the cable clutch 105 Series cars - my RHD '69 GT 1300 J has this same pressure plate fitted. Today many Normale's probably have this fitted as a 105 Series part during a clutch replacement. Either version works just fine.

One thing we have successfully avoided is the Urban Myth that Veloce's had Borrani's and Normale's had Fergats..... cars got 5 of a kind depending on when they were produced, either Borrani or Fergat was the more prevalent wheel supplied at the time.

Aye
Greig

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts