Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1990 I purchased locally (Northern Colorado) a 1961 2 liter Alfa that an individual had held for 10 tens years with intention to restore. It was missing hubcaps, radio, and toolkit and had a broken windshield. Interiror was worn out and wiring chewed by mice. The engine turns freely and I have kept light oil on the pistons. Since then I took the body to a Redistrip franchise to remove rust and a thick undercoating and the car now sits in my garage waiting more of my time than I have. I have it listed on the Denver Craigslist and may put it on ebay. Any suggestions on how not to get scammed by buyers? My son-in-law attempted to sell his jeep on ebay and the "buyer" responded with "I didn't really think I would be high bidder, sorry." The redistrip left holes in the bottom of the fenders and below the doors but the body seems otherwise to be pretty good. Any advice?

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB, Ken!

I can't give much advice about selling cars on eBay (I'm a buyer, not a seller), but I have seen some patterns among sellers and about cars being sold.

1. Set a threshold for bidders to have a minimum of 10 positive ratings (and zero negative if the feedback number is small).

2. State clearly in the auction that bidding is a binding contract, and how much money you expect when. Allow only cash, wire transfer or certified checks for payment. If you accept money orders, make sure they are cleared before releasing the car (although not as easy as cancelling a check, money orders are revocable too). Before the buyer picks up the car, go to a notary public with him and have both of you sign a contract with notarized signatures.

3. Post lots of pictures of the cars and all of its parts so that a buyer understands how complete the car is. Be very detailed in the description of what you have or don't have and what you have done in the context of the restoration. Support a potential buyer with technical information (e.g. a link the CarDisc CD AR10026 with the 102/106 manuals (but be aware that they sell this CD often cheaper on eBay). Also, make potential buyers aware of the 1900, 2000 and 2600 forum on AlfaBB and specifically this post showing repair panels that are available. Furthermore, this post in the 2000/2600 Yahoo newsgroup may be useful as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
And one more thing: Feel free to post pictures and a desciption of the car in the 1900, 2000 and 2600 forum before you put it up for sale on eBay. The comments you may get may help in the sale and/or preparing the auction text.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts