Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends
Today, a new journey begins for my red 1961 Giulietta Sprint Veloce, ARE158566, manufactured on July 3rd 1961 and originally sold to MotorItalia S.A., the former Alfa Romeo dealer here in Peru. I´m the car's fifth owner, and for what I´ve heard, my car apparently has some racing heritage here in South America, according to one of the former owners. That would explain the completely different interior (from the original red/white), certain parts that were missing when I bought it a little bit over 2 years ago, and the state of the former (and original) engine block (which I had to discard a year ago, because it was completely rotten and wrecked on the inside). Now it sports an Alfa Romeo Romeo block, (which is basically the same block) but still with my Veloce's original Cylinder Head, Pistons, Camshafts, and Weber Carburetors. I will be posting images of the restauration process (which will take about year and a half to two years) every couple of weeks or so. Hope you enjoy it and I'm open to all kind of feedback possible from the images you'll see here. Have a nice Weekend!

Diego

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Diego,

I finished restoring my 1961 Giulietta Sprint Veloce, ARE159005, manufactured June 18, 1961 and sold in Switzerland to an American on June 21, 1961. The car was imported to Los Angeles and sold to my father in either September or October, 1961. The car has been in my family since that time, and have the original Kramer Motors sales documents. The car was driven more than 190,000 miles and sat for more than 30 years before restoration. The car has the original motor, transmission and differential. I am helping a friend restore a 1961 Sprint Veloce, ARE158XXX, manufactured March, 1961. Sprint Veloce Finished at Last 11-28-14 001.jpg

Sprint Veloce Finished at Last 11-28-14 002.jpg

Sprint Veloce Finished at Last 11-28-14 005.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! Your pictures are going to be very helpful restoring my car to original state, specially since it was built in the very same year as mine!

Diego

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Restoration Day 7

Hello Again! Here are some pics I took on Friday, Restauration Day 7.
Engine, transmission, seats, windscreens, carpets, door panels, chromed parts, badges and more have already been removed. The car was still sitting on its four wheels since suspension is being removed this week. One thing that we confirmed is that this car once rolled over. You can see marks on the left side of the ceiling which proves such a thing. A year and a half ago, during a classic car meeting here in Lima, a guy approached me and told me that he was almost 100% sure that my car was the car in which his dad rolled over several years before while racing. The other thing that we have almost confirmed is that the car was raced (during the late 60's / early 70's apparently), due to some small modifications we´ve found on the chassis, the improvised black carpeting the car had, the different interior color (from the original), and the relatively good shape the doors have (they might have been replaced by much lighter fiberglass doors to race, having them stored), plus the story I just mentioned and the fact that one of the previous owners actually told me that the car was raced (Not by him though, I still have to sit with him to get into details). Anyways, here are the pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi! I´m going to be in California next week. Is it possible to meet you on Saturday March 28th?

Thanks
Diego

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello Diego,
I'm the lucky owner of a 1961 Sprint Veloce that I bought 6 months ago from a friend. The car was sold in Switzerland (like John'n Veloce) and imported in Greece in 1965 and had 4 or 5 owners since.
I follow your restoration project and solved a few issues.
Here is my question: even that the 3 cars (Kuni's, yours and mine) are identical there is a difference of the shape and pattern of the nose. On Kuni's and mine the metal is straight, while in yours the nose is pressed with a cambered outline.
Since I'm working on this now, I would like to solve this issue.
I post a photo of my Sprint's front and wait for comments.
Best regards,
Athanasios

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Athanasios! Yes, we are lucky guys, having this Sprint Veloces. I actually met John on march and got to see his car. It looks perfect. About my car, I´m going to guess you are referring to the lower part of the nose, right? Well, I gotta tell you, my car was used at some point in the past for racing, so I guess it got some dents and deformation during that period. Thankfully my restorer is going to restore mine and another 101 (which is all rusted but no dents, crashes or things like that) so he'll use the other one as an example to fix mine's issues. Thanks for the pic, it´ll certainly help!! As for the moment the actual restoration process (they've only put apart and peel the car) is going to begin in a few days or weeks.

Regards,

Diego

·
Registered
84 Posts
Heart problem.

Hello Diego,
We are aproximatly on the same difficult path with our restorations. I had to replace many rusted sheets and I'm not finished yet. But finally this is the fun of it.
About the nose problem maybe this photos will help me to get more info about the differences of the heart area. As you can observe on the cross section that I draw, on the red car there is a "step" where the chrome heart sits, while on the white car the step is absent. Since the 2 cars are of the same year I wonder which is the right way to proceed with mine.
I'll start a new thread with my restoration soon.
Best regards,
Athanasios

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,561 Posts
Yes! Nice to watch!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back on track!

Hello everybody!!

It's being a while, but I'm finally back on track with my car's restoration. We had some setbacks in the past year and a half but now things are looking good. Here are some pictures of the current state of affairs. Right now we are trying to fin the right red color for the car. Can you guys help me with the color codes or samples for Alfa Rosso?

Thanks!

Diego

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello everybody!

We are in the process of putting the car together. I was wondering if you guys knew how much Vinyl and Cloth should I buy to do the rear interior section as the original was (I´ve seen some pictures of people putting rear seats, but I want to do it just as the original car was).

Also, I need to find or replicate the head visors, and the fan box that goes on the front right tire undercarriage.

Finally, if anybody has or know how to replicate the chrome U shaped sills that go on both doors.

All help is welcome!

Diego

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I was able to buy three sets of sun visors on eBay over the past four years. I would put a want ad in the Alfa Bulletin for the parts that you need.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts