Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice on where the trunk/boot lid rubber was affixed on 1961 Giulietta Sprints? As they left the factory. I've seen images of cars where the rubber is fixed to the lid itself following the the contours of the lip. And others where it is fixed in the gutter around the trunk on the body. As in the image here (not my car). My car also has two rubber stops in the bottom gutter. Not sure if original but again have seen on a few cars.

Advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi Marc, here is a photo that seems to indicate that it goes on the lid. this is from that collection i promised you. sorry its still sitting on the kitchen bench waiting for a chance to get to the post office

cheers ian

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Marc,

The rubber weatherstrip is on the lid, the 2 rubber stops are original and located in the gutter.
That's the way it is listed in the catalogs too.

Rgds,
Thierry

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
And now the fun part .......... finding one that will still let you close and latch the lid! If you do, let me know where you got it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
No kidding...Sprint or Spider trunk gaskets. Cicognani or not, it’s a tough time getting them to sit right all the way around when new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some NOS parts came with my project. Including what I believe is original Alfa Romeo sourced boot lid weatherstrip. As per the images. The profile looks correct and as if it will work.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Mark,

Great parts, the weatherstrip, I never saw an original new one, and the chair, also 'original' !
treasure them both.
What would you think, is the shape of the cross section symmetrical or not?
Is the little protrusion on the rubber ( noticeable below left) genuine ?

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mark,

Could you make a picture of the profile of the two ends, side by side please and could you maybe also measure the exact length of the part in millimeter and inches for all of us please ? You have a very interesting part here !

Many thanks,

Thierry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark,

Could you make a picture of the profile of the two ends, side by side please and could you maybe also measure the exact length of the part in millimeter and inches for all of us please ? You have a very interesting part here !

Many thanks,

Thierry
[/QU

Hello Thierry,
Images attached here. Asymmetrical as you can see with the slight protrusion. That may be a clue as to how it locates on the boot lip and aligns with the gutter. Length approx 2940mm. The section is approx 14mm wide 30mm high on one side and 25mm on the other side.

I believe it is an original Alfa Romeo part. The car came with some boxes of NOS parts. The story is the car was driven into a garage in 1971 with the intention of doing some work. Parts were purchased but the work never happened. I purchased the car earlier this year. It has been off the road for 49 years. The intention is to preserve the car where possible, rather than restore, including the external paint. I have a blog to document the progress if you are interested. Link below:

Kind regards
Marc

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Mark,

Very helpful, thank you.
I saw the blog, nice work.

About the Carello license plate lamp, I presume the top on your light will have the Carello number 10.642.019, originally listed for the 1600 Giulia Sprint and recognizable by the big window for the lens in the top.
The Giuliettas had the small window in the chromed top. ( Carello 10.542.019)
You can easily change the chromed top to the one with the small window. Don't throw the Giulia Sprint top away, you certainly will find a 105 GT owner, happy to buy it or to change it for the small window top version , especially when in NOS condition.
Furthermore, you have to check whether the two studs are long enough to mount the light on the chromed bumper housing, but from what I saw, that would be ok I guess.
Finally the wire has another connector, no big deal for adapting that, while keeping the wires original.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes please provide dimensions and a straight on end photo.
Could you describe how "soft" it is? I think all the reproductions are made from too stiff a rubber.
Do you think it will bend enough to go around the corners through compression instead of having to cut and glue each corner?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks Marc, have I understood you measurements correctly as per the attached photo?
9E938D99-C6BF-4BD9-85A9-2586611EE6B0.jpeg

For those who might have missed Marc’s reply to Thierry, click on “click to expand” on post # 12.
Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Nick and all,
The dimensions are close to those I described although when using a vernier this morning the 25mm is closer to 25.5mm.

The rubber compound is quite spongy and looks like it will be supple enough to bend around the corners without cutting. From the end profile image you can see the spongy composition.

Regards
Marc

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Here is a comparison with reproduction ....... and why it doesn't work. Probably more do to soft
1493 90033 vs Cicognani luggage lid gasket.jpg
"open cell" of the original and more dense "closed cell" of reproduction than the dimensions.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
After you have installed your gasket ....... if you have a little left ........ think about sending it to Cicognani with information that it is the correct original for them to reproduce.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
i just sent them a link to this thread, hopefully they will read it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts