Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 1961 Giulietta Spider, Bella Teodora, for more than seven years. This is a very sweet, original car that I purchased from the estate of a fellow Capital Chapter AROC member who had owned the car for over 20 years. Other than having been repainted red over its original grigio (gray), probably in the 1970s, the car is largely as it was made. I had rust in the driver's floorboard and trunk professionally repaired and the mechanicals have been kept happy by Crown Auto, Gaithersburg. This car enjoys being on the road and I drove it to the 2004 AROC Convention in New Hampshire. It was also shown at the 2010 AROC Convention and Bella Teodora is the current covergirl on the IAP catalog!

This car is in great condition for a driver who is celebrating her 50th birthday this July. This car has not been restored, let alone over-restored, so it's ready to enjoy as-is with patina, or won't take much to make stunning. I have already replaced some key parts like bumpers, and have new red vinyl seat covers from IAP ready to install.

This is an interim car, long taillights but 1300 engine and flat hood. One of the best combinations in my opinion. It was a European car from new, purchased by Venitian architect Tito Talamini and at some point exported to the U.S. The car has a remarkable hardtop, unlike any other I've seen in its rear window angle, that appears to have been with it from the time it was first sold.

I have long planned to do a gradual renovation of this car and figured I might keep it forever. I still may, but other projects make this a fine time to test the waters and see who out there might have a good plan to make the most of this wonderful car. I appreciate offers but I also would like to hear from fellow enthusiasts their thoughts about what this car in this condition should be worth. If it seems like a good idea I might put Bella T up on e-Bay but I also might not... really this is a car that I'd like to pass along to someone I know and trust.

So... thoughts, ideas, and offers will now be considered and appreciated. If nothing works out I will plan to paint the car its original color and enjoy it through its 50th birthday year.

Please contact me at [email protected] or 703/508-4418. Thank you.

==Brewster Thackeray, Alexandria, VA

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

Beautiful Giulietta, thanks for posting the pictures. The hardtop really adds a lovely touch to the car.

I'm not a market expert, but I believe that the key to the ultimate value of your car lies less in the paint (although a repaint to the original grigio would be quite stunning and would certainly help the value of your car), but more in the rust situation. You mentioned the one patch on the floor that was professionally repaired, but there is also some surface rust in the engine bay. Of course it is impossible to assess the actual condition of a car from pictures, but the general theory is that whatever rust is visible from a visual inspection is probably about 20-30% of the rust that is actually contained in the car.

If the rust is really quite minimal and everything checks out mechanically, my guess would be that you could expect something in the $25-$35K range for your car, as is. If some other issue exists which we can't see from the pictures, maybe more in the $20-$30K range.

Personally, I love the look of a car with patina and don't mind at all if a car shows that it has had some use (within reason), but it seems that more often the big money goes to those which are closer to spotless.

Hopefully thats a decent reference point for you. Comments, corrections or eyepokes welcome

Best

-Jarrett

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pricing

Thanks, Jarrett, and several others who've shared thoughts on the value of the car off-list!

People have asked what my asking price is. I will sell the car for any offer over $25,000. And I welcome and will entertain any offers at all. I would consider partial trades or other interesting propositions too.

If I get an offer I can't refuse, that is meant to be. If not, I will dive back into the gradual restoration of Bella Teodora in April, and she will likely return to her original Grigio paint then in time for her 50th birthday on July 25.

Thanks,
Brewster

1 - 3 of 3 Posts