Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some tell me what the sprint 101 door and rear side panels structures are made of, I have one made of plywood and one white board and the rears are hardboard, what was the original?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It may vary, but mine are what I believe is generally called "hard board" …….. an artificial resin based wood; usually smooth on one side and rough texture on other. Except for the rear (package shelf), where mine is plywood.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Agree. Original material was that hard board, sometimes called "beaver board" or "pressed board".

The white panel and plywood panel look home made. If you are going to re-make the panels, any of these three materials will do. I give them several coats of Thompsons Water Seal before stapling on the fabric.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
It's called Masonite in the trade... Birch plywood is a good substitute... The back panel and parcel self and jump seat panels are poplar, a favorite wood of furniture manufactures for drawer liners..

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Mosonite ……… probably a more correct name for "hard board"

I suspect the variations in answers is the variation in what actually happened ……… were all interiors made by same vendor or several ….. may never be known.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are some numbers on the back of the rear panels, could they be original? the numbers are 15906 0r 15106?
My chassis number is 156081

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
The third photo is what I've always seen. Masonite... smooth on one side and with a kind of screen-like rough texture on the back...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Just to be difficult, my Lightweight had aluminium door, three quarter and rear panels (the latter with lots of swaged holes)......I have no idea if this was original or a Conrero trick.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Stuart, fwiw, I know of one 750E from 1956, it has also those panels in aluminium. I don't think the car was prepared by Conrero.

Thierry

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had the original interior for my 1961 Sprint Veloce and the door panels and quarter panels were pressed wood. I gave all of the original interior to Thomas Pocius who is known for his excellent interiors which include many Pebble Beach concourse cars. He replaced my car's entire interior.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kuni, you say pressed wood? were they like pic 528 which is ply wood or pic 873 which is hard board?
Also what did Thomas Pocius use? the original or did he replace it with something else?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I am working on a complete 1958 Sprint Normale restoration and the door card appears to be pressed wood. The rear seat panel is made up with wood strips. I believe that my 1961 Sprint Veloce used the same material as the 1958 Sprint. I have restored Giulietta Spiders and the door cards were made of pressed wood.

I have would have to ask Thomas what type of material he uses when he restores Giulietta cars. I have a number of photos of the finished interiors but, not of the back of the door cards.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I should take a photo of the door panel and rear panel and you can see for yourself. There was a black plastic sheet attached behind the door panel to guard against water warping the panel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts