Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This my first post here, on this brilliant forum..

Does anyone in here, have a detailed drawing or exploded view of the front suspension on a giulia spider ?
I´m having trouble, figuring out how the rubber (or aluminium spacer) on top of the front springs should fit..
i am restoring it for my father in law, and i didnt take it apart myself, so im a little lost :)

The rubber-ones i have, doesnt seem to fit tight, on the "chassis part"..they fit on the springs and in the lower spring pan, but not in the upper ? Hope i am making sense ??

Can anyone help me ??

Thomas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is my problem.
the rubber spacer is too wide in the middle and to small on the outer side..

i have 4 of these rubber spacers in the same size. Am i missing some, in other sizes or is this just the way, they put these cars together in the 60´s :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. That was a big help.

What is the difference between giulia and giulietta ?? I am pretty sure that the badge on the car said giulia...

i have been told that a giulietta is a 1300 and the giulia is a 1600 ??

Thomas

·
Premium Member
1964 Giulia Spider, 1991 164S
77 Posts
I just replaced the front springs on my '64 Giulia Spider and found that the alloy spacer (#8) sat directly on top of the spring. The rubber disc (#27) was on top of the allow spacer and it fit snuggly into the suspension recess in the frame. I tried reversing them as shown in the diagram but there was no way the rubber disc was going to fit inside the inner diameter of the alloy spacer. I put it back together as it came apart and everything fit fine. As far as I know, the springs on the car were the originals.

Thomasm
Welcome to the AlfaBB.

You are referring to a Series 101 Giulietta Spider.
I believe you are missing the alloy spacers, #8 in the diagram.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thomas M,
Regarding the assembly of the front suspension, as I understand it from the previous discussion here there is both a alloy spacer and a rubber spacer in both the upper and lower spring seats. Is that correct? Also from what was explained I am guessing the rubber seat fits inside the alloy spacer. Is this also correct?

John Viereg

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
John
as I understand it from the previous discussion here there is both a alloy spacer and a rubber spacer in both the upper and lower spring seats. Is that correct?
No. The alloy spacer #8 is only at the upper spring seat.
#27 & 31 are referred to by ALFA as "bearings" ... they are in fact rubber discs - as pictured in Post # 2.

·
Registered
227 Posts
rubber spacer

Hello Thomas,

try with the rear lower rubber spacers, they are similar to the front upper ones but not the same, maybe you swapped rear with front rubber spacers. Remember also the aluminium spacer on the spring.
I think Alfa Romeo in the 60's put cars together very well.

Carlo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Group,
Is the rubber spacer (p/n 27) a press fit into the aluminum spacer (p/n 8)?

Also according to the reply by kg23, he put the rubber spacer on top of the aluminum spacer where as drawing from the manual shows the rubber spacer on top of the spring and the aluminum spacer on top of the rubber spacer. Which version is correct?

John Viereg

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
this is my problem.
the rubber spacer is too wide in the middle and to small on the outer side..

i have 4 of these rubber spacers in the same size. Am i missing some, in other sizes or is this just the way, they put these cars together in the 60´s :)
Tom, I'll try to answer your query but understand this is a very mysterious subject. I have many of these alloy spacers and many of the rubber isolators you show. There isn't much definitive about them other than a few tell-tale characteristics. The good news is you have only one car apart and the pieces you have are from it. The bad news is we can't tell what corners they come from.

Lets start from the front. The bottom seats or isolators should have two bolt head pockets on the back side . They fit with nothing else in the bottom spring perch. They are usually easy to peg because they are corroded to hell. The other top ones don't have pockets ( unless Umberto grabbed a bottom one too which would work.) Stay with me, the rear springs have these plain ones too and they almost look alike but they aren't. The OD is the same but the ID is SMALLER on the front ones (~77mm front and ~82mm rear). In your picture, it looks like you have a rear one in the front top perch because it is sloppy.

Now the question of the alloy spacers. There are almost an infinite number of ways to put these beauties in when the variable thicknesses is taken into account. Some even have grooves or slots to fit over the the spring perch lip on top and some will accept nesting the rubber isolator inside them and some won't. You need to post more pictures of all the pieces you have and recheck the ID's.

·
Premium Member
1964 Giulia Spider, 1991 164S
77 Posts
See the attached photos (Sorry I didn't take more). The alloy spacer fits nicely on the coil spring. The area in the green circle is where the rubber disc fit. I'm not saying this is the correct configuration, just that it was the only way mine went together. Possibly the rubber disc had deformed so it wouldn't fit inside the allow spacer? Who knows.

Group,
Is the rubber spacer (p/n 27) a press fit into the aluminum spacer (p/n 8)?

Also according to the reply by kg23, he put the rubber spacer on top of the aluminum spacer where as drawing from the manual shows the rubber spacer on top of the spring and the aluminum spacer on top of the rubber spacer. Which version is correct?

John Viereg

Attachments

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Like I said some will nest inside the alloy and some won't. I have seen them installed in reverse from the factory. Are you saying you didn't change anything in the rear and you have new front springs? If so, you might want to get a list of owners of theses springs and learn from them what components they used and the ride height that resulted. If they are from Centerline(?) Joe might know the best formula. Then you can determine what to do. Otherwise, It will be trial and error IMO.

·
Registered
634 Posts
When I removed my front suspension... the rubber was inside the spring perch... like the green circle... I'm pretty sure my springs were never removed before me...they were stuck and removed body paint when I poped them out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

This my first post here, on this brilliant forum..

Does anyone in here, have a detailed drawing or exploded view of the front suspension on a giulia spider ?
I´m having trouble, figuring out how the rubber (or aluminium spacer) on top of the front springs should fit..
i am restoring it for my father in law, and i didnt take it apart myself, so im a little lost :)

The rubber-ones i have, doesnt seem to fit tight, on the "chassis part"..they fit on the springs and in the lower spring pan, but not in the upper ? Hope i am making sense ??

Can anyone help me ??

Thomas
I have only those pics. It is a '63 model. Hope some way can help you.
Ciao
Andrea

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts