Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends,
New to the Alfa world and need help to identify what I have purchased.
I do know that the Alfa is a mid year production, 1961 Alfa Spider Veloce. Originally off the production line in Nov. 1961 and sold in Switzerland in Feb. 1962. It was red. The body # is AR 169232.
The difference is the coachwork in the rear of the car. The trunk lid is flat and does not roll down towards the bumper. There are twin bumpers rather than a single bumper. The latch for the trunk is not incorporated into the medallion. The medallion is a seperate badge that is bolted into the trunk lid. The cars demensions are the same as a normal Alfa Spider. The fuel fill is "outside" the trunk and located on the right rear of the car just above the bumper. There are no unusual welds or seams that would indicate that the car was in an crash and haphazardly repaired.
The hood has twin scoops with a stainless trim piece down the center. The scoops are not functional.
If any one would like a picture, please e-mail me at [email protected]
Thank you:

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Show us all a photo. If you can, details of the body modifications are always interesting. Thanks1 Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1961 Alfa Spider Prototype

Gordon,
I would like to post a picture, but do not seem to be able to figure it out right now.
Thank you

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
FYI: There are some hints for how to post pictures in this thread.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you have a copy of Braden's "All-Alloy Twin Cam Companion 1954-1994" take a look at the Tom Zat Giulietta on page 69. Same car?

Mike Hollinger
Atlanta

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I'm not an expert on Giuliettas but it looks more like a personal preferance custom job to me. The mirrors are 105 series, circa '67-'74. The hood may be modified from a 102 ironblock Spider. I kinda like it better than the single fake scoop that Alfa used on the 1600s a few years later. The rear is a little cluttered for my taste, I like the trunk latch though. Be interesting to find out it's origins. Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
581 Posts
never seen anything like it... definately a bit of a mystery... you should re-post in the guilia section, you might get some more views.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Very nicely done!

A very interisting Giulietta:). Not the chop job that happened to many of these cars:eek:. Someone REALLY DID spend some time money and thought;). Tastefully modified, withour ruining Pf's concept. Needs a posting in Patrick Hung's Giulia / Giulietta thread. And other interior, mechanical modifications? The car also appears nicely restored. Any information from the seller?
Best, :DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The interior and the mechanics are same as other spiders. The fuel tank is the correct tank and installed without modifications. The rear bumpers are mounted to the correct mounts (brackets), therefore, a standard single bumper could be installed. The width and the length of the car are not modified.
The seller claims that this is a prototype, being 1 of 3 manufactured. But, has not been proven. The seller has not given documantation or proven the provenance on the car.
Thank you, keith

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Interesting rear deck--looks like a Giulietta hood and center chrome, but with the two scoops added.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nero,
I have run it through Alfa Archives and this is what they have stated: Produced in Nov. 1961, sold in Switzerland in Feb. 1962, originally red, spider veloce. I went back and asked if there was any additional info and they stated no.

Thank you for your input,
Keith

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Quality custom bodywork

I'm not sure how to do this, however, there is #1 money in Switzerland, #2 VERY good body shops in Switzerland. I have seen several vintage Ferrari's over the years that came out of Switzerland with custom bodywork. What needs to be done is trace the cars sales history back to Switzerland and find out what shop did the work. If, like the Ferrari's, there is interest, these shops often have photographic records of their work. Like the vintage Ferrari's, there will be a paper trail from owners regestration. I do not know how to research this. Possibly Antoine Prunet, the well known Ferrari historian can advise you. He tracked me down, 30 years after the fact, as an owner of Ferrari, 500 TRC sn 702. He was wonderful to deal with, knowledgable, and of great help. He can be reached at :63, BD Des Batignolles, 75008, Paris France. Tel: +33 1 42 95 02 63, or Fax: +33 1 42 94 29 03, or > [email protected] <. In one of his notes to me, he writes:
"PS I am also an Alfa fan and own a 1960 Giulietta sine some years." Use my name if you wish. Your Alfa IS most interesting, and deservers research. Best, Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've seen one like this:

In Ft Lauderdale, Bob Corr had one with exactely the same trunk just a couple of months ago.
He thought someone put another rear end on it, but maybe there is more to the story on being one of 3?
Would be interesting to compare ID #'s.

·
Administrator
3,904 Posts
I'll second Pieter, BOBCOR had a modified Spider for sale a few months ago, The modifications were virtually identical - it might even be the same car ??, however I seem to recall that Bob's one had Sprint tail lights...

I've never seen any Factory info on such a mod - other than the prototype Spider in Museo Storico.

Talented body man & client with $$$ usually = this sort of work. For what it's worth, the result is very neat, if not to everyone's taste.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Greig,
The car was purchased from Bobcor. Did you actually see the car first hand? If so, at what location and when??? The car was delivered to me on June 14th, 2007.
Thank you, keith

·
Registered
129 Posts
same car

If you bought it from Bob Corr this summer, it is the same car I saw.
I think it will be very difficult to find out what really happpened to the car. Was there an accident at some point in time and did someone put a rear end from a MG on it? Whoever did it, did a good job.
I find the prototype story hard to believe, but that is just my opinion. Does this theory correspond with a new line of cars / model at the time?
I don't know the production runs very well (when did they start, when did they end), but there is a lot of data available on production runs, VIN # etc, so you should be able to find out if the facts support the theory.
Nice car though.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Keith
As previously stated, an interesting modified car. You don't state the series or engine size. I suspect what we are viewing is a modified 101 chassis.
I'm not interested in guessing how or what has been altered nor in criticizing your car. You bought it therefore you must like the look of it.
If your wish is to actually find out what you have bought, please post photos of the engine, underside of hood, trunk and underside of trunk lid; close up pics of the serial numbers in the firewall and on the engine block.

My suspicions are aroused by the Bob Corr connection.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
61ARproto,

A car almost identical to yours was sold in Sweden in 2005. I corresponded with the then owner as I was asked to put the advert for it on the register web-site (www.giulietta.com). They believed the modifications to be original and the external filler was put on to aid refuelling during racing. The car was so similar to yours right down to the painted rear view mirrors and the Nardi style steering wheel. The whole of the rear is identical. Where it did differ though was it did not have the flutes in the bonnet (hood) and it had front repeaters on the wings (fenders).

All the best

Regards

Peter

1 - 20 of 42 Posts