Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the story on this flywheel-- I bought it with a collection of parts from an older gentleman who was active in SCCA racing in the 60's and 70's. He told me that he ordered a competition Alfa SZ directly from Alfa Romeo. The car was sent to Nardi Tuning to be be prepared. The flywheel was an approved Autodelta part that came as part of the engine package.
It is a beautiful piece of machine work that would be nice for a collector or someone who wants authenticity(even though hidden)in their car. Probably not recommended for modern day competition use, although the clutch surface and condition overall are excellent.
$350.00

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,392 Posts
You ask.........

Any comments from the Alfa gurus out there ?
These were not Autodelta`s, but Ausca machined flywheels. These are the "sling apart flywheels". Cast iron and fragile post.

There was one on my Ausca engined Giulietta race car.
I machined off the post and made a 5.5 Tilton clutch assembly out of it...See pic at :
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/382410-lightweight-racing-flywheel-1300-1600-1750-a.html

Your`s might be ok on a lower rpm street motor but should be zygloed or magnafluxed, then shot peened (steel beads) before bolting on an engine.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
Horst Kwech's racing org in the late 60s/early 70s, ran GTAs and GTVs in the Trans Am. Gordon and Richard can say more, but AUSCA was doing the heavy lifting of serious Alfa racing in this period, after the factory's brief earlier run in the GTA era in the Trans Am. There was quite a feedback loop of engineering and experience, as I understand it, between AUSCA and the factory, through Don Black etc. I will slaughter what AUSCA stands for; Gordon has an AUSCA Spider, I imagine he'll chime in.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Gee, I chimed in with a whole long post here with pictures here which has now vanished Andrew.
Maybe I've been banned and cleaned? What do you think?

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
I know you told me earlier you'd posted, but I never saw the post. I didn't specifically look for it though. Did anyone else see it? Maybe it got effed up in the ether?
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
I think SO! It WAS a nice informative post, with the same pictures I sent you. My Ausca built iron flywheel was installed on my GTA engine, both built by Ron Neal at Ausca in 65. It worked perfectly until I removed it for safety reasons, as mentioned by Richard in his post, about ten years ago. It was replaced by an Autodelta / Tilton aluminum flywheel that as they came from Autodelta, had a plasma sprayed friction surface, good for about one race. Ausca used to toss these until we had Tilton install a replaceable friction face in the style of current aluminum wheels. I think the one now behind my GTA engine is the first Autodelta / Tilton wheel. I no longer suggest the use of lightened grey iron flywheels, nodular iron is Ok if done by one who knows what this is about. Richard lightens a lot of those without getting them dangerous. As I've become older, I value my right foot and leg more, and prefer the light aluminum wheels. Peter Potchevenski in California builds very nice aluminum wheels for both customers and venders as very reasonable cost.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information.
The gentleman who passed this flywheel to me specifically told me that his competition engine was built in Italy and shipped to the US with this flywheel.
From what you are saying AUSCA modified and supplied flywheels here in the US--??

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Rickery,
Yes, and conspired with Autodelta, BUT did not sell parts there directly. However, Roman Tucker, an Alfa GTA restorer, sent me a pair of 45DCOE14's off a GTA that spent it's entire life in Italy. I opened them up for restoration to find 4, 35.8mm chokes inside, made by me, when I was at Ausca, 50 years ago. I did NOT make those chokes in Italy! I also bought a GTA front crank pulley from G.B, a few years ago. It was painted yellow, by me, after I found it had a seal groove (still did) 49 years ago. I used to spray paint them yellow and toss them in a junk box so we would not re-use them.
By accident, bought from another G.B. vendor, a mismatched pair of 40DCOE2's, one needed by a US customer. The other was a 3 digit serial number VERY early large top DCOE2, and the MATE to a restored early 3 digit large top on my desk, restored as an example for customer viewing. Together again after more than 50 years.
Stuff gets around over time....

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Autodelta flywheels were all aluminum. This photo is an Autodelta GTA flywheel that had the plasma sprayed friction surface replaced with an insert by Tilton.
With the steel insert it weighs 9 #. As built by Autodelta, it was lighter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more time--
Tell me about AUSCA --
What do the letters stand for?
Where was this organization located?
Who was involved?

Second part-- If you look at the picture of the flywheel, the areas where metal was removed is nicely chamfered into the bolt "stands" and there is beautiful scalloping work to remove more weight.
I have seen pictures of other similar flywheels that were much more crudely made. Any comment on this?
Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
Caveat: I wasn't there at the time, I was a teen, reading Road & Track, rooting for Datsun.

Horst Kwech, Ron Neal, Mac Tilton, GORDON, others. Lake Forest, IL? Horst was from Australia, the name is a contraction, Australia/US car association or something. Gordon will correct. They raced GTA and GTV in the Trans Am and other SCCA races, see period Road & Tracks for famous battles with BRE Datsuns. They built various TA GTVs and some EP Duettos, if I remember right, and a few street cars including Gordon's "GTA" 101 AUSCA Spider.

Lots of interplay between AUSCA, Don Black at Alfa, Alfa in Italy. The Competition Advisory Service Don put together gathered up all the good racing development info to disseminate to other racers.

Horst raced a lot of other stuff before and after. See wikipedia: Horst Kwech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Horst was pretty tight lipped about the exact meaning of AUSCA, obviously the first three letters referred to Australia. Though Horst was from Australia, he was born in Belguim, but grew up in Australia, then moved to the US where he still lives. He has spent most of his life here in Illinois. The original "Ausca" racing emblem was a kangaroo, which was painted on some of his race cars drivers door. Very rare is a colosene emblem Ausca had made, also a kangaroo. I've seen exactly one, mounted on a Duetto Ausca spider.
Horst himself was a master automotive fabricator, and could build what he invisioned. Some ideas worked, and others did not, or not well. The Ausca group had many players, rather than employees. Ron Neal was (and is) an engine builder. Alfa's and others, and eventually Nascar engines. Last I heard he was in N.C. and still working.
Ausca had a relationship with Autodelta that was not discussed with me. However, at Ausca, parts regularly appeared from Autodelta, and information dyno sheets, and some fabricated parts were shipped back to Italy.
At one time, a 33 V8 appeared, and was forced into a Chevron FB chassis as a test bed for FI fuel starvation issues at high G's in corners. After that, the factory 33 cars seemed to run much better in competition. There was an exchange of information. I was mearly a hanger on at Ausca, but paid attention, and learned a lot from watching Horst and Ron work.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am familiar with all those names-- Road &Track reader myself. I was not aware of the deeper involvement with Alfa/Autodelta.

So, it is possible that a new AUSCA flywheel may have been supplied on a competition engine built in Italy?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts