Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere in the forum, but I can't seem to find it.

I need to replace the headlight bulbs in my 1960 Giulietta Sprint. The external chrome trim rings do not have any screws on them, and the only hole is a small drain hole at the bottom of each ring. Do these need to be pried off to get to the retaining ring for the glass lens? Or, twisted off? Any idea on how they are attached? They are on so solidly, it was making me scared to pry too hard.

Alternatively, there are three bolts around the headlight buckets within the front fenders - maybe 9 or 10mm bolts. Is this the way to access the bulbs?

Any advice very much welcomed. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I wouldn’t advise trying to remove the attachment in the wheelhouse. Those should be captive nuts, although many have been replaced over the years.
If there is no screw at the bottom of trim ring, then you likely have the later style ring which is retained by three springs, located at about 2, 6, and 10 o’clock.
Try pushing down and back at the top and prying at the bottom.
Joe

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
The bucket has three little triangular nibs that are spring loaded that grab the rim. Sprint: Carello / Lucas Headlight Trim and Bowl fix?
See the second photo... They are at 10- 2 and 6 O'clock as I recall. Simply slip a spatula blade as a buffer between the painted surface and the rim and then take another or equal tool to prise the rim off . It just snaps on over these nibs. the lamp won't go anywhere. It has a locking ring on you now have access to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn’t advise trying to remove the attachment in the wheelhouse. Those should be captive nuts, although many have been replaced over the years.
If there is no screw at the bottom of trim ring, then you likely have the later style ring which is retained by three springs, located at about 2, 6, and 10 o’clock.
Try pushing down and back at the top and prying at the bottom.
Joe
Thank you, Joe! Very much appreciated. I'll give it a try.
Ilya

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bucket has three little triangular nibs that are spring loaded that grab the rim. Sprint: Carello / Lucas Headlight Trim and Bowl fix?
See the second photo... They are at 10- 2 and 6 O'clock as I recall. Simply slip a spatula blade as a buffer between the painted surface and the rim and then take another or equal tool to prise the rim off . It just snaps on over these nibs. the lamp won't go anywhere. It has a locking ring on you now have access to.
Thanks a lot, divotandtralee. Very much appreciate the reference images. I'll pull out my plastic wedges and give it a try.
Ilya

1 - 6 of 6 Posts