Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just did this windshield for a guy in Hermosa Beach, CA. He restored this car for his wife. Anyway, the windshield was shot. Someone ran the wipers without rubber for quite some time because there were actually grooves in the glass!! We spent a few hours on it but it came out pretty darn good as you can see in the video.

We also did a total glass restore on a 65 Alfa Romeo Giulietta for a lawyer in Fresno, in case any of you know the guy. I actually forgot his name. He brought all the glass, including the very curvy front and rear windshield, which was pretty badly scratched in and out. Some areas looked like the glass was dragged thru the sand! Needless to say, he was very pleased with the result, plus he has the original glass in his restored Giulietta. I'm pretty sure we're one of the only companies that will attempt this type of glass refinishing resurfacing in the world, probably because we came up with the unique process. I just think its weird that I've already done TWO classic Alfa's! And THAT is the reason I'm posting this here. I just made a little slideshow and put it on youtube if you're curious about whether or not badly scratched glass can actually be flawlessly restored. The only thing is if its badly pitted or even has the "sandblasted" look on the windshield, it really isn't fixable. However, if the felt has worn out and the side glass is badly scratched, we can make that scratched glass look like new again, without distortion or haze, guaranteed!

Feel free to contact me if you want.
P.S. Using toothpaste doesn't get out any kind of moderate scratches. Everyone seems to try it first.....then they call us!!

scratched glass repair
glass restoration
scratched glass

·
Registered
77 Posts
I realize you'd probably need to see the actual glass to be repaired, but can you give us a general idea what it would cost, so we can compare with the cost of replacement glass? If an average job is a "few hours" what do you charge per hour? Does your process only work on scratches but not on small pits or stone chips?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Scratched Glass Repair

I realize you'd probably need to see the actual glass to be repaired, but can you give us a general idea what it would cost, so we can compare with the cost of replacement glass? If an average job is a "few hours" what do you charge per hour? Does your process only work on scratches but not on small pits or stone chips?
Thanks for the inquiry. What we've found is that chips and that sandblasted effect on windshields is actually a lot deeper than regular scratched on glass. We've removed glass scratches from diamonds and carbides with excellent results. However sandblasted glass is not only deep but its usually all over a large area of glass. So, we tend to avoid sandblasted and welding damaged glass.

As far as cost for repairs, we have a minimum local charge of $175.00 in Southern California. We resurfaced an entire glass package for a lawyer in Fresno for $850.00 If was a 1965 Giulietta. It should have been more because the glass was in really bad shape. Front and Rear glass had to be done inside and out. It was the first time we did the whole front, rear, and side glass. He loved how they came out and thought the price was right. He was able to keep his original glass minus the scratches. Apparently the felt wears out and the rivets scratch the heck out of the side windows. We made them look like new again!
We don't charge hourly, its usually based on the job. I always tell you how much it will be before I start. If someone charges hourly, you dont get the knowledge of knowing what youre going to be paying.
I re-did that video in HD and I'm going to try and place the new link here. Not sure how it will work but either way, it will be on youtube also.
Also, laminated is more difficult or at least more sensitive than tempered side and rear glass. Laminated is only annealed adhered onto laminate while side and rear glass is tempered, 5 times stronger than annealed. With windshields, you have to be very conscious of a few things, temperature, proximity to the edge, and bullseyes or chips, since these become weak points. Never an issue on side and rear glass. Hope that helps.

I re-did the video in HD so it should look bigger and clearer. I also took a few pics out that seemed redundant. And I changed the music to more upbeat! Anyway, here's the link....if I'm doing this right! Thanks again for the inquiry.

P.S. I can't figure out how to have the larger video show up in here in HD. The best way to see it LARGE and HD is to LEFT Click and then click, "Watch on YouTube". Then make sure HD is red. If you watch FULLSCREEN, you may have to drag it back and start it from the beginning. Hope that helps.

scratched glass repair
glass restoration
scratched glass

·
Super Moderator
11,363 Posts
we have a minimum local charge of $175.00 in Southern California.
Do you have a fixed location? And, is that in Hermosa Beach? Or are you mobile, and will come anywhere in Southern California? And if so, does that include south Orange County?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The guys shop was in Hermosa Beach.

Since the vast majority of the work we do is on buildings, we are totally mobile. The car thing is actually a new thing, started about a year ago. We never even knew there was a market for it. Then the first Alfa Romeo guy from Fresno found our website.
We do mostly large building glass as you can see from the website. Feel free to call during the week and we can set something up if you'd like.

Rick Evans

scratched glass repair
glass restoration
scratched glass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts