Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooooooooooo. short version, I bought a 59 with a 283 in it
its been on & off CL for years? I know I had emailed seller several times with no responce, until recently

I doubt it could ever be reasonably restored back to stock
Basically a roller with non stock everything
I filled a trashcan with all the plastic crap, hacked bits, etc I couldnt stand looking at.

wiring is scary, some ancient non stock rear end in it, no trim, grant steering wheel, on and on. Im sure heavy drugs were involved for much of its bastardized life.

at best I can strip body and see what metal is left, go thru existing drive line, clean up interior, add trim and go driving. Beats languishing in a garage for another 30 years

I can add pics for the sick ones out there if you want, but it will make you retch or shed a tear, at least right now.

wish me luck

this may or may not take awhile

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah, Kind of like a car wreck. You gotta look. Give it to me straight. I can take it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pics of SBC 59 2000 Spider

So, this is after liberating it onto the trailer and getting home.
Have to admit after the lack of pics of the car, I was surprised how much real stuff was there. Interior, glass, top, rear bumper, trunk badge, funky luggage rack. I expected a lot less.

Car fires right up and the torque is inspiration enough. Layed rubber on the ancient flats, with lots of room to fred flinstone the car down in the parking lot. Diamond in the rough to say the least.

I'm blissfully ignorant of the body metal. Its bad in the right rear, rest is less plastic/more solid? After reading many posts I know its wishful thinking. Sealer is everywhere, even the grill. The wiring mess doesnt inspire much confidence in the body work, but I'll cross that bridge in a few month after we re-engineer the drive line and brakes.

More to follow

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,890 Posts
Veeerrrrrryyyyyyy interesting. I dunno what you paid for it, but the market for these cars might well cover the cost of a good, original restoration.

Or, go find some guy with a 2600 and offer to drag race him for $500.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Solid car! I like it! It would be nice to see it edge closer to original and with the value of these soaring it might be worth it! At least a stock rear end and an Alfa engine would be a great start! If not a period engine maybe a TS? That would be COOL!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SBC Spider Abnormale

Luckily, only metal messed up is on the dash and the shift gear opening, both of which will be fixed. Rest of the car will be stock appearing with a vintage hot rod twist. Sure if I grow tired of this, someone else could grab a donor and knock themselves out, but I'm planning on enjoying this for awhile. Gonna be a fun project.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like a good plan! I am sure with a little refreshing it will be a lot of fun to drive!

·
Richard Jemison
7,542 Posts
V8 Alfa

Actually you have a far more reliable motor, that weighs far less, and will bring far more interested buyers to the table later than the original engine version would!

There are more interested "modified buyers" than you will find out, as the cars are fun rather than questionable investments.

Only Gold, Guns and Grenades are real "investments".

·
Push hard and live
9,890 Posts
Hmmmm. I don't believe a 283 weighs less than the original motor, but the center of mass appears to be farther aft, which might improve certain handling elements. Also, I disagree that a modified 102 will attract the money of a well restored original one. In fact, the several running V8 102s I've watched come on the market seem to sell for less and take far longer to sell than non running, rusty-but-complete-and-restorable unmodified cars.

With power steering, the V8 mod would make a pleasant around town cruiser.

·
Registered
178 Posts
oh a 283 can be such a sweet motor. Lots of guys in the day de-stroked them to 265 and had a high reving lump, which would be just wonderful in that car!

·
Registered
957 Posts
A 283 will turn 6500 rpm easily, 8000 and still streetable if it's built right.
No need to destroke it.
Even my 327 will be good for 7000+ rpm and it's a street engine.

If it were mine.
Put some aluminum heads on the 283 to shed weight.
And a set of cross-ram DCOE or IDA webers for Italian spice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have looked at cross ram for height issues as well as sheer beauty
System from Weber with 4 dcoe45, as well as several efi manifold setup from various race groups which has appeal. Friend also has a tri-carb setup on the shelf that is tagged as its a period piece. Kinda cool that the car has all 59 drive line right now... but first we are doing mock up and engineering, before stripping it all out for the black hole of body work. fingers crossed. Garage getting cleaned and organized up now to prepare for that onslaught. Its next on the burner after wrapping up the race cars

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Teardown of "AlfaOle`"

So Ive been waiting to get the beast to my mechanic to growl over engineering, brakes, chassis etc, and haven't done much.

Then it dawned on me that it doesn't have to be "perty" for him to critique it. so last week I tore into it.

Started at the drivers door and have worked my way around the whole car. Windshield is next, maybe this weekend. The more I shed the happier it seems, may just be me. It also makes me slightly scared at what has been hacked off, drilled and beaten. Sure I will need help identifying certain brackets, braces and mysteries. Seeing a "whole" car would definitely help. Until then, I'll just plug along.

Im gonna take a paint removing disk to the known thick areas and later have the shell soda blasted once the drive line and suspension are off.

Luckily this car has been apart before, so not every bolt is rusted solid. Sure the suspension is going to be fun, but not the end of the world. Some sort of dolly will be needed by then

I'll keep posting as I go along

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More pics

More pics of progress so far, not for the faint of heart, but sure others have seen worse. Have filled trash can 3 times with junk off the car, sure more to follow. Growing list of whats needed, sheet metal being on the top of the list. Assuming some is just going to have to be fabricated from scratch. Luckily I have friends with skills. Nice to see some of the original paint still on the car. Plan for now is to go back to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
steering wheel

Can use one if you have an extra kicking around
doesnt look like a later Giulia one fits...

·
Push hard and live
9,890 Posts
There is a reason the 102 cars (and 106s) use a 410 mm wheel. (or is it 420?). This was the contemporaneous form of power steering. With an SBC up front, you wouldn't want less leverage than the car came with.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Car color

Peter,

Was this car originally yellow. If so shoot me a couple of pictures of the diff, particularly the upper mount in the center. I may be able to give you some of the back story on the car.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rear dif n history?

Yes, the car was yellow originally (and plan is to make it that again) and Id love to hear some dirt on it

Havent identified the rear as of yet, so whatever you know, fire away
Was told the drive line was out of a 59 Impala, but rear isnt a chevy bolt pattern, so....

Plan is to send the rear axles out to get them setup with the Alfa/Chevy bolt pattern so all 4 wheels can be stock and match.

thanks for help

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts