Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a black 1959 Touring on eBay in need of a total restoration. The car is very original and appears to be very solid. The car even retains the original silver type spark plug wires and ends; something you rarely ever see. The stock 1958-'59 dash mounted rear view mirror is original but has been placed on a raised platform. The interior has a vintage look but seems to have extra padding and a non standard pattern.

I sent a link of this car to Carson Murphy. Many of you will remember that he tried unsuccessfully to repurchase his late father's black 1959 Touring. Eventually that car was sold and shipped abroad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Alfa-Romeo-2000-Spider/193000173234

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Hmmm. Mighty close to a hub of Alfa activity to be unknown. Anyone over there know this car or owner?

We might recall that our friend “Dabraham” bought a black 102 on eBay, and ended up having to file for a refund from EBay because of the scam.

A quick scan of the seller’s reviews reveals lots of small trinkets and jewelry, and nothing like this.

I hope it’s real, but I’d like to hear from someone near Santa Rosa who has seen the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This car as advertised is a scam. It was sold on BaT a few years ago and now resides in the UK. This is the same scam car and pictures that a member got scammed on eBay with. It keeps reappearing because it appears to work on people, drawing five figure bids and payment from an ecstatic sucker who hasn't done their homework and thinks they've picked up a car at a bargain price.
My guess is the existing account owners account has been hacked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm. Mighty close to a hub of Alfa activity to be unknown. Anyone over there know this car or owner?

We might recall that our friend “Dabraham” bought a black 102 on eBay, and ended up having to file for a refund from EBay because of the scam.

A quick scan of the seller’s reviews reveals lots of small trinkets and jewelry, and nothing like this.

I hope it’s real, but I’d like to hear from someone near Santa Rosa who has seen the car.
Too good to be true.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,945 Posts
This car as advertised is a scam. It was sold on BaT a few years ago and now resides in the UK. This is the same scam car and pictures that a member got scammed on eBay with.
The write-up is awfully brief for a car of this nature: 1959 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Equipped with a 5speed manual transmission. Black with tan leather interior. Unrestored. Original paint. This car comes equipped with the rare optioned hard top, and remains an overall very original and complete example to restore. All numbers match. Engine start and runs.

The trees in the background sure don't look like Santa Rosa, Ca. (where the car is supposedly located):

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you haven't flagged this on ebay, please do. It takes more than one person doing so for ebay to pull the listing.
I reported the listing as fraudulent to eBay. Their reporting form leaves little room for any explanation. Also went through sellers feedback to ask a question about their car's history...

Mark

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "lister" on eBay gave me the following additional brief reply. I agree with AlfaJay that for a car of this nature the description is very brief. (I listed a 1993 Toyota T-100 for my father once with a much more comprehensive description. The truck is now 26 years old and has only 75K miles):

"Hi, I bought this car in 2018 as an investment, with plans to fully restore it, but right now I'm forced to sell it because I need some cash. I'm the 3rd owner, the previous owner had the car for almost 40years. The car start, runs and drives, but will need to be checked before to put it on long roads. For more pics gve me your emalladrrr. Thank you"

The DriverSource ad shows the car as belonging to 'MIKE BRTLL' (no vowels?) in Los Angeles, CA in 1976.

Carson Murphy got back in touch with me and asked if I had the contact information for the current U.K. owner of his father's old Touring Roadster; the 'Jazz Man's car' ? He would like to stay in touch with them. If you are the current U.K. owner, would you please send me or Carson a P.M.?

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Just for sport, I sent an email to the listed seller telling them I'd be in Santa Rosa this past Saturday. I actually could have been if they'd answered, which of course, they did not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts