Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1959 Sprint Race Project

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  scottyairborne 
#1 ·
While building the Sprint GT, we joked that we should find a "shop car" for all the spare parts we had accumulated. The next day, while buying an excellent 1750 Mk1 flying buttress interior I fell in love with this project. The deal was struck, and we now have a rolling chassis for all of our donor parts.

It has not been on the road in years, and apparently was cut and pounded (original metal folded over)into a Zagato look-a-like at some time way back. The previous owner stripped the car to bare metal, then sealed it to keep from rusting. This is how it stands, all metal and extremely solid.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Running the numbers confirmed all assumptions:

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1493.20261 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint, manufactured on the 17th September 1959 and sold on the 12th November 1959 in Johannesburg, SA.
The body colour is Iseo light blue.

#3 ·
The thought is there really isn't enough originality to restore, so we plan to put it back onto the track. As such, we will build it with parts available (I bought a lot of things in bulk)...

Unless convinced otherwise:
TwinSpark 8V (from a 155 with full EFI)
1600 GT 5-Speed Gearbox
Original Drums (or upgraded Junior Discs if Drums are moved to resto project)

#5 ·
Unless convinced otherwise:
TwinSpark 8V (from a 155 with full EFI)
I am skeptical that a twinspark will fit under the hood. Keep in mind that this body was designed for the shorter stroke 1300-1600 engines. And that the TS has a very tall head.

But you can always add a clearance hump to the hood - it's not as if originality is an issue.

#6 ·
Jay, We are convinced we can make the TS work, and since we'll be doing custom mounts we have a lot of play. May have to get crazy and run a dry sump, or we just might end up with short stroke engine instead.

We are having so much fun putting the TS Turbo in the Sprint GT that we purchased a second engine. So not against trading that engine off if a decent short stroke motor comes knocking...

#7 ·
It really is a shame that originality was sacrificed as the body is astoundingly solid, no rot in the floor, boot, wings, anywhere...

I even considered grafting new wings on, and making it original...except the drivetrain is long gone, as are the entire interior (guages and all). The only realistic option is to make a really fun track car...

#8 ·
Sprints have a lot more vertical height under the hood than Spiders. I'd think at TS would fit without too much trouble.
It's kind of a wanna-be SZ from the front. Since it's already modded and got a history, what the heck. Kinda cool. You have any pics from its glory days, if any?
Andrew

#9 ·
Andrew,
A lot of misnomers about TS engines fitting in cars, I agree it should fit in there. This will give us solid power numbers and EFI reliability for less than $1300. Since we'll have another TS running a turbo, we can always modify for even more power down the road.

It was sort of an SZ take, I like to call it the SZ(A) since it is a ZA track car. I'm trying to find some history on the vehicle, so time will tell about pictures. If it was an aluminium body everyone would love this car, but truth is Zagato wasn't the only person modifying cars to make them faster... I am concerned that the headlight buckets won't clear front tires under hard cornering. They are spider buckets, and spider covers were fitted at one time. All in suspension set-up, but we may eventually need to move the buckets forward...

#11 ·
Please realize this engine is simply to demonstrate to ourselves that it will fit. It isn't "fitted", mounted, or anything else.

The engine is now out and being stripped (still a lot of FWD parts on it), cleaned, balanced, etc.

That said, it absolutely fits...exhaust and mounts will of course be custom. We will certainly change the airbox, etc. but it is good to know she fits

A nice vintage look cam cover would be nice, but the only one I know being produced costs more than the entire project to date (by far)!

Attachments

#14 ·
Bob,
We will make the mounts, quite common in the hotrod world to make your own mounts...

I'm truly waiting for someone to see the turbo'd engine in the GT and buy this engine. If/when that happens I'll plan a well built 1300 for it...

#15 ·
Kind of proving a point at this stage, it fits and should make for a really fun set-up!

Right now it is just a place to stack parts until other projects are finished

#16 · (Edited)
'59 Body panels

Hi Scotty

Guess what followed me home earlier this week........... comes from a '59 Sprint that had flared arches sometime in the '80's & then was left under a tree near Storms River for 10 years.........

Will fetch the RF fender sometime this week, so that makes all 4 corners

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

#17 ·
Update: A lot of ideas have been kicked around and someone has stepped up to take the Twin Spark off our hands. Currently considering a 156 V6 mid-engine conversion. If that is the case we will remove all remaining decent Sprint parts for someone to use on a resto. That includes diff, front drums, boot lid, bonnet, roof and rear windscreen.

#20 ·
Greig, do you think this thing has a market value? I may pass it along to someone who is willing to put the labor of love into her... It looks like a 105 coupe and sedan may be joining the stable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.