Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new u-joints (guibos) for our 102 Spider. They came banded with steel. Should these bands be left in place or removed. If removed should it be before or after installation?

Picture of our thumbnail.jpg 102 taken this morning as we assisted in the celebration of our Great-Grand twin Boys 3rd birthday. Our air horn made a grand splash, but came in second to the sirens of the Midlothian, Texas Fire Department.

·
Push hard and live
9,889 Posts
Pete,

To spare you the embarrassment .... it’s “giubo”, not “guibo”.

I’ve got two, longish hose-clamps threaded into each other that I use for removal and reassembly when I do maintenance down there.

Not silver?

Who made the wire wheels? Always a nice touch.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
That is a beauty. Nice wire wheels and a factory hard top!
Congratulations on your twin great grandson's third birthday too!

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,889 Posts
Just a funny story...

when my wife and I moved to a residential airport south of Dallas, there were, at that point, only 12 houses on the 80 lot development.

I walked over to the house next door and introduced myself to the gray haired geezer working in the hangar. Being curious, I looked around and suddenly spotted a 10204 parked along the wall. “Uh, where’d that come from?”, to which Pete told the story.

I had sworn off Alfas in 78 when I discovered aviation. My first Alfa had been a 1959 10204.

So, I said “be right back”, and ran back to our hangar, returning with a box containing the last 102 spares I’d been dragging around for 15 years, with no intent to ever own an Alfa again.

I doubt there was much value in the box, but it was something of a treat to find another 102 so close.

The car was silver when I met it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bands are removed once the Guibo's are installed. They're only there to make it easy to get everything to line up properly.

Mark

Mark
Thanks Mark. My son Mark and I worked on this resto for almost 10 years. We started with having the body dipped all the way to Mark doing the painting in a homemade booth. The car is all original except the new wheels. Lots of hard work, but lots of fun. We have owned this car since 1972

1 - 6 of 6 Posts