Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a '58 Spider on Ebay (no connection), that has vent windows. I have heard about earlier cars having these, but this is earliest I have seen. I wonder if the fact that is was delivered to West Germany has anything to do with it? What is the earliest Spider anyone knows of with vent windows? Just curious.

Alfa Romeo : Spider | eBay

The story is great! I'm not sure if my wife would go for storing our Spider in the living room? :rolleyes:

She said "NO", Oh well.....

Scott

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Scott
I'd say the fact that it is very late production 1958 (what in the USA is considered a 1959 model) rather than German market that is responsible for the non-op vent windows. The car is transitional; not uncommon in 1959 production.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Based on the chassis number given in the listing this a 750 series short wheel base spider, there is no glove box door, original style dash nose, dash mirror, spare tire rack, rear trunk hinges are all 750 features.
If there were better photos we would be able to see the door length in relation to the window size, then it would be more apparent visually. DaveB

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I took another look at the eBay pics and from the position of the interior door pull handle in the 5th pic from the top - I'm going to agree with Dave that it's a short wheel base chassis.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
My Dad bought a new 58 Spider in SF Bay area in 1958. It is the car that I learned to drive in. It was a short wheelbase 750 with the vent( fake) windows. Totally a 750 with tunnel case box, etc. No glove box door, Lucas tail lights, etc. Unfortunatly no pics or VIN #. Just a very good memory of my first Alfa to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My Veloce Spider was built Jan. 12, 1959 and is 750F #05657, with no vent windows. I think this looks like a SWB (as best as I can tell) with all the other characteristics of a 750. I have heard of a few early cars with the windows. My mechanic, Karen Macgowen tells of an earlier car ('57 or '58?) that was like this. I think it had belonged to her father. They do seem to be rare. (It appears that Karen posted in the time I was writing my post, go figure!) :)

I think the window interrupts some of the beauty of the car, but may make longer drives with the top down (is there any other way to drive these cars?) a bit quieter. Just my opinion.

The buy it now of $25K + $2,200 for a spare parts car with all the extra parts seems to be a very fair price, assuming it is as rust free as it is said to be. I'm surprised it has not sold yet.

Scott

·
Registered
620 Posts
That is a great story. Must have had pretty wide hallways in the house to get it out. What the heck does "all systems work, car is disassembled" mean?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
What the heck does "all systems work, car is disassembled" mean?
Like the wrinkles in the front end chrome trim, the mis-matched headlight rings, the screw - down thru the hood/bonnet trim strip ... it means: BUYER BEWARE !

·
Super Moderator
12,167 Posts
After reading through this whole thread twice, it occurred to me it would be possible to fit the later 101 fixed vent windows to the earlier short 750 door. It would involve some serious work, including cutting the side (moveable) windows down to fit, but it is probably possible. To know for sure, the inside of the door would need to be examined, as well as the possibly cut edges of the windows. This job would be made easier with a later set of 101 windshield side posts. This whole job would involve considerable motivation to get everything just right.

·
Administrator
4,063 Posts
750 Spiders with vent windows

Au contrairaire Gordon, no door mods required, the European spec 750's had vent windows, this car was delivered to NSU Werke in Germany & thus would have been spec’d for the "home market", which included vent windows and Altissimo or Carello tail lights

The US spec called for no vent window & the Lucas 'football' tail lights

Some export cars that didn't go to the USA were also fitted with vent windows, I know of 4 Spiders that were shipped to South Africa with vent windows, our October '57, 1495*02806 was sold to Titan Industrial Corporation in Johannesburg, who were the Transvaal Concessionaires and it has the vent windows. Ironically it's the one thing on the Spiders I really *don't* like......I much prefer the clean USA look.........trust me to find a 750 with vent windows :rolleyes:

Here is 02806, along with 05252 the '57 column shift 750B and 10990, the '60 (with fixed hood). Yep 02806 should have a tunnel case, I have one on the shelf & thanks to GTD, I also have a good set of eyebrows, the bonnet strip, the glove box, the correct dash trim + a whole host of smaller items - Thanks Pal :)

Ciao
Greig
Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others
Some space issues

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,167 Posts
This is GREAT information, and obviously, news to me! It seems quite reasonable, and your pictures are wonderful as usual Greg. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

·
Super Moderator
12,167 Posts
Uncle,
The variations on these cars are a great study and learning experience. I've owned, raced and street driven Giulietta and Giulia spiders since '62. Worked on the many variations that long as well. Now with the restoration of many examples, computers and international communications, my experiences continue to expand. Fantastic. I LOVE it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Giulietta details

Hi Greig,

I, like Gordon, found your specifics interesting. All 5 of my Giulietta's were imported through Max Hoffman into the US as new cars. My spider Veloce from April '58 has no vent windows, as you might expect from a USA car. One of the things I found curious is something you said about the tail lights. As you mention we had the Lucas from quite early on, (I think all the spiders that came here) until the Altissimo appeared around 1960. Could you be more specific about which Carello and Altissimo tail light assemblies and what year spider they come on for "home market" cars. This is very interesting to me. (The attached photo does not include all the pieces that might be relevant, just a few for discussion purposes.)

Also, I was going to ask about something you said elsewhere (hope it's okay). On a recent berlina thread you made reference to sedans that had hubcaps with the plastic insert (like on the spiders and sprints). We have very few Giulietta sedans in the US and I think only the first year or two came in as new cars. The 1st series berlinas I have seen have plain stamped hubcaps. I have seen cars that had the insert caps as a replacement for the original plain cap because the owner found them easier to find when fixing up the car (at least that is what I was told). Is it TI's that came with plastic insert hubcaps? Can you detail which years and/or versions had which hubcap? Are there any period photos of a Giulietta sedan with the hubcap with the insert? It would be another detail that would be new to me, like the wind wing on the early "home market" cars. Again, very interesting. Thanks for the great info. D

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,063 Posts
Live & learn

Hi Guys

Gordon - hey waddaya ya know, I taught ya sumthin.......... :p I'm so used to learning from your sage advice & wisdom, not to mention the walking Karnak of Giulietta Lore, GTD ;)

Seriously, I agree 100% with you, the Internet & digital photography have changed our lives & thanks to a great resource like the BB & an even greater resource in all of you guys who are not only willing to share, but also willing to learn !!!

Altissimo & Carello lights...........to be honest Dan, I don't know which came first and which went where & when, but both were fitted to the Spiders. Of the 3 lenses you posted, the LHS looks to me like a very early lens as fitted to the '55 Sprints as it only has 2 bulbs, whereas the later cars had the reverse lights. You can see these early ones in the early Sprint brochure albeit with a large reflector fitted to the bottom half. The middle one is a standard European spec Sprint tail light & the RLS one is a Spider tail light, but it's also to the USA spec of having indicator lens in red in place of amber. I'll spend some time looking at my books & the period road tests & see what I can dig out.

Yes the USA spec was no quarter lights and 'Lucas football' lights but that's hardly cast in cold pasta with Luigi-on-the-line who fitted whatever he had at the time. Let's just say the vast majority of USA destined cars were spec'd like this....:rolleyes:

Berlina & Ti hubcaps, yes the Berlina had an all chrome hubcap with a pressed metal badge & yes the Ti had the standard Giulietta one we all know & love with the black & silver badge in the centre - here is where to get brand new hubcaps for your '56 Berlina - (- wheels) check out item WH015, Alfa used the same hubcap on the 105 Series Giulia 1300 Ti and 105 GT 1300 Junior up to '69.

Check out the 750/101 hubcaps available as well - I'd go for the 3rd last option - # 750-102 over the WH005 as they appear to be $4 cheaper for the same item - You owe me a beer for that !! :D

In the pictures with my previous post, I'm the young 'un, my Dad is the actual owner of the '57 Spider - sold it to him on the same night I bought it & gave him all the spares including the correct '57 Spider motor. I had it out on Friday night, it's a great little car !!

Ciao
Greig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts