Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sale is for a complete but disassembled 1958 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider, this vehicle is a very early Vin number 00032 and the first year of production for this model. This vehicle has been meticulously photographed and catalogued during disassembly. The body was then dipped to strip all paint, body filler, and rust. It has now had all of the rusted metal body replaced with authentic steel replacement parts. All the metalwork is done and ready for paint and body. Vehicle currently has absolutely no Bondo or rust. The sale comes with a plethora of original parts, new old stock parts, and some already restored parts. Again this is a complete car (engine, tranny, driveshaft, differential, wheels, brakes, brake lines, suspension, interior, etc.) Everything to complete the restoration of this beauty. I have a clean Florida title in hand! Right now there is a complete car available on eBay at $102k (item 324094334662) along with a rust-bucket for $26k (item 223688982532) making this car a BARGAIN at $59K

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
Is the original engine included? For a 58 the engine serial number would be listed on the data plate.
For reference, the car I just restored to “Best of Marque” status at Concorso, and sold for $140,000 (less auction fees) cost roughly $125,000 to restore. Plus, what I paid for the car.

I think the high water mark for collector cars was about a year and a half ago. It’ll come around again, at some point.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Don't mean anything harsh but do you read the news? It would be difficult to break-even not paying ones-self for just the TIME to finish this.. without a lay-in rebuilt engine, and tranny at the very least you are going to have some headwinds. Italy would be a good place for it but Italy TOTALLY is out of business

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
A long-term view might warrant buying this car at the stated price, but money is scared right now. Over the last three months I got my investment savings to about 70% cash. I’m coming back into securities now, but I’m focused on 6-12 month returns, ie good-odds investments.

My hunch is that a perfect and correct (original engine) 102 will require an experienced, tooled-up, restorer with plenty of hard-to-find spare parts two years to complete this car. I expect we’ll see the collector car market back on its feet in about 3-5 years when our new President and Congress have demonstrated they can repair and rejuvenate the damage of the last three years. It is possible that a) the new government will not be able to do that, or b) the current government is retained in November. In that case, all bets are off, and collector cars are going to languish.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Be careful on the politics.. it's the hardest thing to peg in an audience you might consider to be semi-intelligent.. witness the Global warming thread carping if you dare.. I love the prospects of the car and perhaps an acorn will land in his lap.. I hope so... These cars are a little more like Lancia's than Alfas and fixes/rebuilds of mechanicals are almost as expensive and one can't use the same cost baseline as a Giulietta or 105.. Hang in with the market. I'm in your situation. If and when I dip my toes back to where I was slowly, I'm looking at stuff that is DEBT FREE and doesn't require person-to-person contact to do business SEIC HRL TROW.... Imagine if the virus hits the smokestacks of Detroit... Ford is highly leveraged and could be as threatened as OXY and American Air under that scenario.. In the auto business it could strike the steering wheel mfrs or the tail light companies.. any one of the supply chains drying up for a month or two would not be good. Same for Honda which has 6 or 7 plants in Ohio. Vote and vote often

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
Div....

I think a reconsideration of my commentary might see it as an economic assessment rather than ideological. I give it 50/50 on who wins, and 50/50 on the economic impact regardless of who wins. My point is that this gives us high odds of continuing economic woes regardless of the election outcome.

My current expectation is for high volatility, leading me to enter and exit my investments opportunistically. For that to work, the investments must be highly liquid.

This car is a 3-5 (or more) year investment. That is very high risk at present.

My point being, someone with enough long-term cash might buy it. They also would need to be one of about three or four people with the skills and experience. I have the latter, not the former. Bernard? Franco?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have a couple of project vehicles that we have either had a customer bail on the project for either financial or personal circumstances. and some we just don't have the time to even consider beginning the restoration on. So we've decided to put these vehicles up for sale so others can save these beauties and finish bringing them back to their glory!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
the market is completely stopped here in europe 👎
nobody buys anymore.
roller blind rounder and the last one switches off the light

·
Registered
540 Posts
J. Leno would fit the bill. Anyone out there his buddy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.