Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cracked cast iron 2000 Series 102 engine block. Looking for advice on possible repair or in search of replacement block or best case scenario, a complete engine. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
How many do you want?

And which do you prefer - just the block or whole engine? Just what is wrong with yours and why? Seattle is a long way from Cincinnati, but maybe I have the perfect motor for you from my stash, one close to the original one in your car. What is your VIN - the one carved on the firewall front AR10204*0????*? If your car is a 59 there will also on the tag on the far passenger side firewall be not only the same vehicle identification number called "Autotaleo" but also a "motore" number that will have at least AR00204*_ _ _ _ _*. If your car is later than 1960 there will be no more than that, but I can use the VIN to select an engine somewhat close to your original to fit in the range that FUSI in his book suggests for your car. Or, just flat out, what is the engine number stamped on the very front of the block where it is machined just to the passenger side of the water pump just below the head. Also, just what is cracked? Is it in a water or an oil area? Maybe it is just a head gasket? Maybe someone "boiled" out the block and did not get a galley way re-plugged? How can I help you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just getting started...

Hello twoliterlover,

Wow, some great questions! A little more detail about this car... I've tried to identify this model Alfa in FUSI. The biggest problem I have is that there is no number stamped into the firewall. The only tag attached to the center of the firewall was a Carrozzeria Touring tag w/number. The plate on the passenger side firewall is missing. According to the title, the Serial No. is 1020401417 and it is titled as a 1962. However, that serial no. falls in FUSI as a 1960 model. There are actually 2 numbers stamped in the block, the top one is 10200011000 and below that is a 4-digit number 9417. Those engine numbers I can't seem to match up in FUSI. The block as a 4-inch horizontal crack that I have been getting differing opinions about potential repair. Ideally, of course, is this is a "matching numbers" Alfa, I'd prefer to keep and fix the block if possible. I am going to attempt to attach some photos of the crack. The crack's location is troublesome because of the oil port that is there. I have attached 3 pics. Hope you can access them. Appreciate any help. Thanks. IMG_102 Series 2000 Alfa Engine Block.jpg

IMG_20141129_201331754.jpg

IMG_20141129_201429540.jpg

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Weldable!

Some person in your area must know an "old guy" who welds engine blocks. But he would have to be in his 70's because that is not common with today's modern engines. This is cast iron, not aluminum. The block must have every piece removed before being heated in an oven before welding so it would be uniformly heated throughout. Then after welding in that condition it must be allowed to cool very slowly and uniformly in a closed oven so the weld will not crack again. Can be done, but these old timers are starting to die out. Back in 1966 there was one such special guy in Ballard (now part of Seattle), but he is long gone now. Cincinnati is a big town. Some of those old German immigrants of the 1850's might have kids or now grandkids who could do the job. Cast iron is what most of the bridges and buildings were made of until 1915 or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts