Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me get the details right on the drivers side (LHD) air intake for my normale spider. It's mostly intact but the blanking disc is missing. This is the part where the veloce extra duct connection would be for the carb cold air intake. I have heard that it was tacked in, but I'd like some clarification. If anyone has pictures of an original that would be fantastic, as a picture says a thousand words. But a description would be very helpful too.

I'm excited to be heading over to see the car tomorrow. I am lucky to have a very skilled metal man doing the work. What a skill to have! I'll be posting some pictures soon.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Rich

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Don't have a picture, but I had the disc removed from my 62 Spider.

Just a flat disc.

It was tacked in a number of places and it took some hard whacks to get it out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob.

OK, just fill the hole with a disc and tack it in.

I suppose you added a duct for the carb/s a la Veloce.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a few Earlier Spiders 56-58 and the air duct plate is screwed on with 4 sheet metal screws.
The holes for the screws were present on several cars that I have/ had, which is how I reinstalled them.
The blanking plate is flat sheet metal but does have specific shape with a small notch for the wiring harness.
DB

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dave,

That's interesting. I will check for evidence of screw holes , today. I have never seen the car with a wiring harness in it. Why does the harness go through that spot? No blower in the spider?

Thanks very much for your response.

Rich

·
Registered
709 Posts
Giulietta Spider air intake

Photos attached to give you an idea of what the blanking plate looks like.
The harness does not go thru the blanking plate, but there is a notch at the top of the blanking plate that clears the wiring harness metal tab that is welded to the inner fender.

These 2 cars along with others, I have found that the screw holes were present and in a very similar location.

Also that the shape of the blanking plates were the same on several different cars. Because they match the conclusion is that the were original.
Dave Brohan

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dave.

Sorry looks looks like I miscommunicated. The air intake that I'm looking to work on is in the left inner fender. Behind the nostril. It is the air intake for the ****pit and, on Veloces, the cold air intake for the carbs. There is a circular hole on top of mine. About 3" diameter.

I really appreciate the pictures!

Rich

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, that's the one Dave.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry, I had the wrong blanking plate in mind, the round one that you guys are talking about is indeed tacked to the plenum, no screws. My bad!
DB

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry , I meant "that's the one, Bob."

thanks Dave , I like seeing detail shots of the cars. I bought my car as a bare shell, so the more I see the better.

Rich

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Joe,

Thanks! That's great. It looks like the plate is oversized then , I assume , tacked from underneath. I don't see any weld marks from above. Can you see any tacks? Hmm.

Thanks a lot Joe!

Rich

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rich,

The plate on my car is 95mm in diameter.
Without clearing off more paint and rust, I can't really be sure if it is tack welded or spot welded; I suspect they are small spot welds.
I notice that your car has the forward air duct hole. Mine, 1495 01752, does not . What is your chassis number?
Joe

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Joe. 95 mm, thanks for that. I will make it to that OD.
My vin is 2869.

Rich

1 - 20 of 20 Posts