Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1957 Alfa GIULIA spider that I'm restoring. Is the statement "The Giulietta Veloce was Marelli (neg ground).... The Giulia Spider Veloce ( as well as the Giulia 1600 Spider) was Bosch (neg ground)" still true knowing what year the car is? Also what are some key things visualle( example lisence plate light on year bumper, single mirror or double, engine steering wheel etc...) a 57 guilia would have versus a normale? Thanks

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Thank you.. The nomenclature you used threw me off. According to the VIN it is a Giulietta Spider and is either a 750D (normale) or a 750F (veloce). The engine if original would point to it's Normale pedigree as it falls into that category for 1957 cars with this VIN number. If however the car is truly a 750F Veloce as identified by an original plate under the hood with another engine number that has been changed out and a few other tell-tale signs, including a "F" stamped in the firewall just above the VIN, it would be a much rarer and valuable piece in spite of having a Normale engine.

If it is a Normale, it was equipped with Lucas electrical components and was positive ground. If a Veloce, Marelli with negative ground. It's always possible to have some mixing and mismatching with both and even Bosch items but Bosch wasn't in the picture until the Giulia (1600's) was introduced in the early-mid 60's when all Giulia Spiders N and V came with Bosch, negative ground. Hope that helps and welcome to the BB group.

FYI, you can post photos from you camera by downloading them from your computer storage by clicking on the paper clip and selecting the browse button and then selecting the picture and uploading it. The photo file will be displayed and will attach to your message and won't be displayed until after you close the post. After you have browsed and uploaded the pics, close that window and they will be attached to your message and will only be posted AFTER you end and close your message so don't panic. That is all the short version. Photos with MB counts on the pixels are not acceptable so use the mode in your camera you would use to attach to e-mails that are in the KB's.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The engine number seems to be in a "veloce" sequence.

As Divotandtralee said, send some pictures of the VIN stamped onto the firewall, the global view of the engine bay, and close view from exhaust support engine with chassis underneath.

·
Push hard and live
9,353 Posts
Calfa,

Not wanting to be redundant, but you stressed that your car was a "Giulia". This is probably what has set you astray, as it cannot be both a Giulia and built in 1957. As Divot notes, start with the chassis number, as that at least gets you into the right family for your car, regardless of what engine someone may have put into it. Engine swaps are common among Alfas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help

Chassis number and engine number info is above. Why do I need to post a picture of it? I'm just trying to understand . Why CANT it be a GIULIA if it's a 1957? Is it a giulietta? What's the difference between the two? Every time I research the chassis number I get squat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chassis number and engine number info is above. Why do I need to post a picture of it? I'm just trying to understand . Why CANT it be a GIULIA if it's a 1957? Is it a giulietta? What's the difference between the two? Every time I research the chassis number I get squat.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Why can't it be a Giulia? ANS: A)because Giulias were not made with a VIN number this low B) Giulia Spiders were not introduced until 1962-63 and were differentiated from Giuliettas by having a 1600 engine C) Ergo, in 1957, when your car was made there was no such thing as a Giulia, which is why I immediately cut to the chase and asked for the VIN number.

What are you using to research the chassis number?

Photos only tell us more about the car than words and help identify it and the model, Giulietta Normale or Veloce.. They are not an infringement of your privacy, unless you think so.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Chassis number and engine number info is above. Why do I need to post a picture of it? I'm just trying to understand .
Because fake "F"s exist.

Why CANT it be a GIULIA if it's a 1957? Is it a giulietta? What's the difference between the two?
Because the Giulia was introduced in 1962, some think the name reflects "growing up" from the 1300 to the 1600 engine.

Every time I research the chassis number I get squat.
Ahem. I suggest you learn to google before getting too snarky.

·
Push hard and live
9,353 Posts
BTW, being a Giulitta is plenty cool.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Based on the VIN its a 57 Giulietta Spider
Engine number provided is 57 Giulietta Normale
Very Very few Veloces were made in 57,
Likely result based on numbers provided is that the car is a 57 Giulietta Normale Spider

Dave Brohan
The Giulietta Studio

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Dave,

This car could be a 1957 Spider Veloce with a 1957 Normale engine. I know that the original metal identification plate will give you information about the model and original engine number. I think that writing to Alfa Romeo will confirm whether the car is a Veloce or not. I remember purchasing my 1957 Spider Normale for $300.00 in the early 1970's and a saw a 1956 Spider Normale that was in better shape for $150.00. The cars were nearly worthless in those days and remember sending bodies and mechanical parts to the recycler. I must have thrown out six or more 750 heads in the trash. I threw out a 1600 crankshaft recently because it needed welding on one rod journal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First off, thank you everyone for the feedback. NOW, I know this has been up before but what are the differences between the normales and veloces in this year? Is there a complete list in an old book I can purchase from 1957? Or is there a couple of experts I can message on here that can help me out. Its the little things I seem to be struggling with like the right number plate lights (2 singles or 1 in the middle), did this car come with an external antenna hole, I've also heard that the veloce spiders came with the wheel wells blackened with an undercoating and no other veloces did just the spiders. Can anyone shed some light? Thank you

·
Push hard and live
9,353 Posts
Calfa,

The main difference is that the Veloces were, and are, much more rare. Thus, their market prices have sky rocketed, as well as the temptation to fake them.

The disparity in market price between Veloces and normal is such that a very careful and top quality restoration would be repaid. The "normales" (a made up name) are generally great cars, and most often worth restoring just for the fun of driving them.

Simply look at the serial number on the firewall. If there is an "F" stamped slightly above and in the middle of the chassis number, it may be a Veloce. If there is no F, it is probably not a Veloce.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I am the guy who runs the Veloce Register. Using your chassis number this shows the car to be a Giulietta Spider from the fall of 1957. How do I know this with out checking Alfa Romeo archives? I checked the sequence of numbers in the register. If you truly have a real Giulietta Veloce 1300 you will have a F stamped above the chassis number int the body and on the data plate it will say 1495F.xxxx, also there is a petal bracket affixed to the frame rail by the engine pan with a rubber bumper to keep the engine from rocking over to hard on acceleration. This only came on Veloce's to my knowledge.

The "Giulia" Spider Veloce came out in 1964 with a different hood and a 1600 CC motor that starts with 00121.xxxxx

We only ask for verification to help you sort out which parts go on your car. You can contact me direct at 65veloce at gmail. I would like to add yoru car to the register and learn of its history.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
There are many difference between a Normale and a Veloce car. The Veloce car has the following differences:

Veloce engine block larger main caps, head milled, Veloce cams, Veloce oil sump, higher capacity oil pump, higher compression ratio, different connecting rods, Veloce cam cover, 40 DC03 carbs, Marelli distributor, water heater pipe and Marelli generator

4:10 rear end ratio vs. 4:56 for Normale, different rear axles

different suspension springs and larger sway bar

Larger front brake shoes, different rear brake shoes

different tach and speedo

Marelli voltage regulator

electric fuel pump and pressure regulator

Sprint Veloce cars have larger gas tanks, but Spider Veloce cars have the same as Normale

Negative ground

There are some other small differences that I forgot to mention.

The Veloce car is about 50% more expensive than the Normale car.

I have owned and restored both types of cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts