Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having difficulty putting my 4 speed transmission up to my engine. I think I might have the wrong flywheel or the wrong starter. What is the correct flywheel size for a 1957 veloce spider (1300) engine vs a (1600) engine. Diameter and tooth count would be great! Thank you.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The 750 Normale engine uses a Lucas starter motor with a 101 tooth ring gear. The 1600 engine uses a different flywheel with a Bosch starter with 105 tooth ring gear. The spacer between the engine and transmission is different for each motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I have another question. OTHER then the engine vin, is there another way to find out what size engine you have? Can I measure the block size/height? The 1600 should be taller right then the 1300 right? Or is the block the same and the internals are beefed up?

·
Super Moderator
10,381 Posts
I am having difficulty putting my 4 speed transmission up to my engine.
Can you define "difficulty" in a bit more detail. Is it that the splined shaft where the clutch disk goes just won't slide into the flywheel/clutch assembly?

Can I measure the block size/height? The 1600 should be taller right then the 1300 right?
Right! Going from 1300 --> 1600 --> 1750 & 2L the dimension between the crankshaft and the top of the block becomes greater. I recall seeing those dimensions posted somewhere/sometime here on the BB, but can't recall where/when.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it! It turns out I have a 1300cc but had a 1600cc flywheel on the engine and the wrong starter. In case anyone was wondering there is a 1300cc block height is approx 10.5" and a 1600cc block is approx 12". The length however stayed at approx 17" between the two. Thank you for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts