Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at a 750D with quarter glass in the doors. The seller has it registered as a 1959 model, but the numbers for the chassis and engine (which I checked, and match the id plate) place it as a oct 31/ 1957 production.

Could this spooky car have come with the windows or did someone maybe change them over the years?

I appreciate any information that you can give.

Rich

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
The quarter vent windows could be ordered installed by Bertone.:cool:

I've seen a picture with one on the driver's side.

Would like to have them on my Sprint.

:)

·
Registered
710 Posts
There is a 750D on ebay now that was produced in 57 and has the vent window glass in the door. Certainly has a different look considering the length of the door vs. the length of the window opening.
DaveB

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
My Dad bough new in 1958 a 58 Spider ( 750D) with what we called vent windows. Like the 101 cars. Unfortunately. I do not have any pictures of it. A 10/57 build date could have been registered as a 59. Back then, the cars were registered by sale date.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Good info, thank you.

For some reason I thought they didn't have the vent window until the 101s. But i guess they must have been available either way. I wish it didn't have them, so maybe that's something that I can change easily with new glass.

I was sold in April 1958 but then it crossed the country so registration can blur a bit across provincial borders.

Rich

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Yes the 750 short wheel bases were available with quarter light windows - this is the European spec. We have 1495*02806, an October '57 Normale with quarter light windows & I know of several others.

80%+++ of Spider production went to the USA & the US spec is without quarterlights, so that is the predominant model - these all tend to have the 'football' tail lights

I'm sure that several without the quarterlights were also sold in Europe, but rest assured, some did have.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense. This car being Canadian delivery would have been the euro spec. car.

Any other differences?

thanks,

Rich

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Just to throw a spanner in the works, 149503033 appears on ebay with quarter lights and football tail lights............Alfa Romeo : Giulietta - eBay (item 140503056878 end time Jan-29-11 16:18:38 PST)

Differences - some may have had the teardrop indicators fitted to the front wings, KMPH vs MPH gauges and or gauges in English or Italian (or a combination of both). Altissimo / Carello tail lights vs the Lucas 'Football' ones

Mechanically they are identical, excepting some of the French delivered cars, (Sprints & Spiders & probably Berlina's & Ti's as well) had glass brake fluid reservoirs due to local regulations & an extra data tag, as did the cars shipped to Germany.

I'm sure there may be one or two other minor differences...

Of course Alfa being Alfa, even cars coming off the line together could have been different - we are all still learning

Ciao
Greig

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a copy of the 750 parts catalog dated 11/1957 which includes a supplement detailing all the parts related to the doors with the fixed quarter windows.

I owned 750D #03312, built Jan 9, 1958 and sold new in Montreal by Budd and Dyer in 1959, which had quarter windows, miles speedo and sealed beams - in short, US spec.

Rich, Budd and Dyer was the Canadian Alfa importer in that period; odds are they also imported the 1957 you are looking at. There used to be a 1900SS in Victoria that was imported by them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it will be interesting to see this car when it's assembled to see what parts it does have.

The car was originally sold in Montreal, but I wonder if that was to the final buyer or a dealer elsewhere in Canada.

Any Idea on numbers of 750s that were sold in Canada?

Thanks for the great info!

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
So far this is the earliest new Alfa sold in Canada that I've heard of. I've come across only a handful (3 or 4) of 750's imported by Budd an Dyer, all the other 750 cars I've seen here were later imports, usually from the US.

In the 80's I met an Alfa owner who had almost bought a new Giulietta in 1959; he had visited B&D and explained their main business was with Rootes products, but they also brought in the odd AC, Aston and Rolls. Alfa was another sideline, and they usually had one in the showroom, and perhaps another one in the service bay, but they were scarce. I would say at best they brought a few dozen cars in Canada. They had a showroom in Ottawa, perhaps in other major cities as well, but period ads in Road & Track do not show this. One source to track this down would be the phone company's archives - old phonebooks.

B&D disappeared around 1963, by which point Alfas were imported by "Fiat Sales and Service" in seemingly larger volumes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts