Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The Berlina I bought earlier this year is now officially under restoration. Here it is on the rotisserie after being sandblasted.

As you can see there was extensive rust on the floors and front subframe. New parts will be fabricated.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers,

Afshin

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,306 Posts
Subscribed

Pete

·
Registered
156 Posts
Photos of rusted areas.

Arshin,

Please keep documenting your restoration with as much detail as possible.

Pictures such as yours are useful to others in that they show where restoration problems arise. In particular, pictures of sandblasted stripped bodies show where the body is likelly to rust. That rust might be invisible before it gets through the steel but knowing where it's coming from allows us to figure out where rustproofing, such as by WaxOyl, should go.

I'm going to rustproof my Berlina this way and appreciate knowing where to drill and spray.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,922 Posts
Was there any underseal at all on the exterior floor of those early cars? I`ll also be watching as have a 101 berlina in mind to buy. Great seeing someone go before.

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,156 Posts
I've subscribed :cool: good luck with the resto :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Will follow this. love pictures

George
57 Sprint
69 Spider
84 GTV6
88 Quad

·
Premium Member
22,809 Posts
Holy handbrakes Batman, that's my old car! Jeez is it far along. Congrats on doing the right thing, Afshin.
There's a similarly titled thread on this car from when I took it over from Bill Gillham and got it back on the road after 35 years sitting and rusting. But I intentionally did not tackle the body issues (hard to call them "cosmetic" issues when you see this level of structural rot).
Looking forward to seeing progress here. Excellent.
Andrew

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy handbrakes Batman, that's my old car! Jeez is it far along. Congrats on doing the right thing, Afshin.
There's a similarly titled thread on this car from when I took it over from Bill Gillham and got it back on the road after 35 years sitting and rusting. But I intentionally did not tackle the body issues (hard to call them "cosmetic" issues when you see this level of structural rot).
Looking forward to seeing progress here. Excellent.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew et. al.

Yes, some may say it's crazy to do such an extensive resto on a Berlina, but I'm sooo looking forward to when it's done! It will definitely get driven and enjoyed thoroughly.

I will keep everyone updated. I may not have the chance to go up to the shop every week to take photos, but the shop tells me they will take detailed photos along the way, so I'll post them as I get them.

Best,

Afshin

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,922 Posts
Coupes are common though aren`t they..it`s almost inverted snobbery to own a really old Berlina because they are far less common. Reality is too that the Berlinas are generally the better built, better driving cars. My Giulia Ti for example has a real quality feel to it compared to my coupes- there`s a nice solid thunk to the doors when they close and I can give just the lightest push and they close beautifully. Definitely not like a coupe and I imagine a 101 series is much the same.

·
Registered
313 Posts
berlina shots

Hey Afshin,

I'm going out there on Thursday. I will take some shots if there is anything new. If I'm lucky I may be able to keep pace with you. I hope the very little metal work I need to have done on my berlina (300 cars after yours for those interested) will be complete in the next few weeks. On the other hand, until I get the Jr.Z running I won't be able to spend any time on it. I'm not going to jump in on your thread, I just hope we can keep each other motivated. Dan

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Afshin,

I'm going out there on Thursday. I will take some shots if there is anything new. If I'm lucky I may be able to keep pace with you. I hope the very little metal work I need to have done on my berlina (300 cars after yours for those interested) will be complete in the next few weeks. On the other hand, until I get the Jr.Z running I won't be able to spend any time on it. I'm not going to jump in on your thread, I just hope we can keep each other motivated. Dan
Sounds good! I doubt any significant work has been done on it since I took those photos, but yes, if there is, new photos would be highly appreciated.

Afshin

·
Registered
313 Posts
progress

Hey Afshin,

I went out to the body shop a few days ago, you are correct, no change. It's cool to see a berlina on a rotisserie! It is interesting to me that the lead where the fenders seam to the body around the front and rear windshield is intact on your car, on mine the lead had cracked. That was the reason I had to take it down to the metal. My metal guy will replace the lead with a panel and metal finish it, no one wants to use lead these days. I took photos but all the same as you posted already.

Are you going to buy panels or have the body guys make them? As we discussed, you can't get them over here.

Again, this is your thread, but quick update on my car. The metal guys are moving along. I hope to have photos of it metal finished in a couple weeks.

D

·
Administrator
14,306 Posts
Hey Afshin,

I went out to the body shop a few days ago, you are correct, no change. It's cool to see a berlina on a rotisserie! It is interesting to me that the lead where the fenders seam to the body around the front and rear windshield is intact on your car, on mine the lead had cracked. That was the reason I had to take it down to the metal. My metal guy will replace the lead with a panel and metal finish it, no one wants to use lead these days. I took photos but all the same as you posted already.

Are you going to buy panels or have the body guys make them? As we discussed, you can't get them over here.

Again, this is your thread, but quick update on my car. The metal guys are moving along. I hope to have photos of it metal finished in a couple weeks.

D
I don't understand the lead comment?. Lead was used to hide seams, thus if you are restoring to original those seams have to exist. You surely can't fill them with weld, heck think of the possible distortion. I think you are saying they are going to weld a patch panel over the seams? ... interesting.

Most restorers of old cars melt the lead out and replace with lead ... no big deal. I intend to use lead on my 1750, if I can manage it, to finish some butt welds I had to do to patch repair some panels.
Pete

·
Registered
313 Posts
lead seam

Pete,

I will take a photo of what I'm talking about the next time I go see my car. For now, on the early berlina the lead "patch" where the front fender "mates" to the panel around the lower corner of the windshield is unusual. Commonly (on Alfa's) lead covers a welded seam where the panels butt together. On the berlina there is more of a "trough" where the panels come together but leave a large gap (at least a half inch deep and half inch thick and 8 or 9 inches long) that the lead has to fill. It's not just a glaze. The heat of the California summers caused the lead in my car to crack, a lot of cracks all the way through. I think a patch to butt the two panels is a good solution. I'm planning on having the car metal finished so there will be no need for filler, lead or otherwise. On Afshin's car the lead is intact so there is no need to go through the trouble. Make sense?

·
Administrator
14,306 Posts
Yes

Pete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts