Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going through my image collection just now... and found the pictures of this 1956 (55? 57?) Alfa Romeo with a Zagato coach built body.

That is the most beautiful Alfa I've ever seen in my life. The pictures do not tell half the story, the proportion, the double bubble roof, the trick door handles...
I don't know how much it worths (a lot) but the guy who owns it is just an awesome guy. He drove the car to our school with his 10 year old son - just because his son is interested in becoming a car designer.
That guy talked to us (all the students came out to check out the car) for over an hour about cars, he knew every single tiny thing about the car, from the engine, to the assymetry of the car.
Yeah, the car is not symmetrical, because it's all hand made by craftsman in Zagato.
Too bad I don't have a shot of the engine. Well, it's just a "normal" Alfa Romeo Twin Cam engine, nothing special.

Only if I have the money :eek:

Attachments

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Alfa_Chan! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I think I just fell in LOVE. As I was reading your post and looking at the images I began to wonder if you guys studied or covered any Alfa Romeo topics, design, or history at design school?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
smestas said:
I began to wonder if you guys studied or covered any Alfa Romeo topics, design, or history at design school?
Alfa Romeo did a Sponsored Project in our school about a year ago. They were evaluating the USA market and decided to sponsor one of our projects. And in the process, we did a lot of research and learnt a lot about the history of Alfa. And my bug got even bigger... (falled in love with the Spider when I was a kid, and then the 155 DTM, then the GTV which I've been looking for a year already - finally have the $$$)
And after the project, somehow Alfas just keep popping up in the parking lot. One of my friend got a 74 Spider and the other got a GTV 6 (and they're not even in that project) Right now, there are at least 2 GTV6, 2 GTV, 2 Spider and 2 Milano 75 in the parking lot.

We do have a class that is called the History of Automobile Design. The guy who was teaching it was a Fiat nut (he has more Fiats than I dare to count), and he showed us a lot of the cars that he has, also a lot of slides. He also brought us to a lot of the classic car meetings at night (Cars Night??) around the Pasadena area, I wouldn't believe how many classic cars are behind the garage doors in Pasadena. Petersen Museum is also one of our favorite destinations.

Our school's library also has a HUGE selection of automobile books, books which you cannot find elsewhere. If you have time, you can drop by the library and start reading. There are at least 10 books on Alfa Romeo alone.
Do u know the address of ArtCenter?

And in general, people in my school are all car nuts anyway. :D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Alfa_Chan,

That sounds like heaven! I guess I chose the wrong career, then.

I do remember that a few times when I was in design school (MIAD) an instructor saw my Alfa hat and made references to the Spider and GTV when discussing "Classic Proportions" or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Zagato

We have one of these in our shop.
Zagato made the most beautiful Alfa bodies.
The engine should be a 1900.
This car should fetch well over $500,000 US.
If it is in show condition, witch it seems to be.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeah, Alfa used:

Zagato <-- one of my Favs
Bertone
Pininfarina
Touring
ItalDesign <-- Guigario

And probably some I'm not remembering this early in the morning...like the guy who designed the Stradale Tipo 33 (gorgeous).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Snaidy,

The GTV was actually designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, while he was working for Bertone.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sniady said:
All the designers are cool, but Bertone designed the GTV, their for he's the best!
ItalDesign is the best then...
ItalDesign's founder - GIUGIARO designed the GTV while he was in Bertone.

He designed a lot of my favorite cars, including the Lotus Esprit and Golf Mk I. :)
His designs are so simple yet so elegant.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts