Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I've ever seen the pancake air filter housing (outside of the parts and owner's manual pictiures) before. The parts books list that it was used up to 1050. No idea on the price but I wish they would have listed the serial number.

Chuck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice restoration. Re-used screws and other small hardware without zinc plating, unless the restoration it is leaving patina to the car. It seems to me the start was a very complete and original car in need for new paint, interior and chrome. Photos before the restoration would be a nice addition. Not the intention to create a Pebble Beach winner and therefor payable I think. Maybe it is yours for 70-80k euros? This is my positive vision on it, but I like the car.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
pretty......
but I don't like that over thick goop slapped on in the trunk, nor why the rear bumper is not central (it's off to the left)

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
Dom that thick tar-like goop in the trunk is correct, all the period Bertone built Giulietta's are like this.

Agree on the off-centre rear bumper !!

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
444 Posts
sprint

Indeed the thick black undercoater-like treatment in the trunk is correct but, for what it is worth, I personally find it repulsive. currently my 60 sprint is in the body shop and my plan is to paint the boot. If at some future date it leaves my possession and someone wants to make this aspect correct,, no harm done. otherwise I plan to stay the course on originality. on the whole I find this 55 pretty impressive.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As others have said, this does look like a nice car with a lot of the proper early details (air cleaner, dash knobs etc.) still present.

My mid-'55 sprint has non-rolled-rim wheels, which are date-stamped '55'. We expect to see early cars on rolled-rim wheels, but does anyone know for sure whether both types were fitted to these cars contemporaneously?

At about the same time over at Lancia, the Aurelias were moving from rolled-rim (early 4th series B20) to non-rolled (later 4th series B20), so the wheel makers were transitioning their design and build processes. Was this driven by tyre technology?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
As others have said, this does look like a nice car with a lot of the proper early details (air cleaner, dash knobs etc.) still present.

My mid-'55 sprint has non-rolled-rim wheels, which are date-stamped '55'. We expect to see early cars on rolled-rim wheels, but does anyone know for sure whether both types were fitted to these cars contemporaneously?

At about the same time over at Lancia, the Aurelias were moving from rolled-rim (early 4th series B20) to non-rolled (later 4th series B20), so the wheel makers were transitioning their design and build processes. Was this driven by tyre technology?
Interesting, but I believe that Sprint 1405, built in November 1955, had rolled rim wheels, so I would guess that nearly all of the 1955 cars had them.

The first 550 cars used the same window winders as 4th Series B20s, as I think you've pointed out before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to own a 1955 Sprint. From my recollections, the front wheels of this particular car are as those which were on 0871 when I owned it, but not the rears.

I only had three of these "correct" wheels & it took me ages to acquire more in order to have a matching set of 5.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
^^^^^^
Oh, yea,
the market is flooded with restored 1955 Alfa coupes !!
Out of sarcasm, the point is that both are the same car, with the exception of some minor detail.

If you aim at the "collector piece", then go on the '55, whatever the asking price is.

If you like the "car" 750 Sprint, then you can have it with much less money.

Then, always remember that in Italy, restoring a car is cheaper than in the U.S., Germany, Netherlands. At least the 30% less given the same kind of work. I've nut-and-bolt restored five cars so far, I know what I'm saying.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I looked at a 750 Spider with a very low chassis number (and certain different design details) being offered privately in Italy last year. The price was considerably less than this.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
'55 model is why it is this price !
And condition.
Understood, but, in my very personal opinion, the year of production matters when the car has some (evident) different features compared with the later series.

'64/'65 and '66 Porsche 911 "zero series" are a classic example of this, or the first 50/60 Giulietta Spider made (different dashboard and bumper overriders).
But when I have to pay a considerable premium just for an year printed on a paper, that simply has no sense to me. That is just a pretext to push up the price with no real reasons.

Of course it's just my view.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 70.000 euro car was listed recently on a BAT auction where it reached $67.000 which did not meet reserve.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts