Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any color photos of this Alfa that they can share showing the car with Carrozzeria Ghia / Al Williams or from the Los Angles Motor Show? I am happy to share what I have but hoping someone has some additional period shots they can post and share.

Warm regards,

Bill Noon
[email protected] (619) 840-7811

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David,

The car is with me in La Jolla, California.

Do you have or know of anyone with some period color shots of this one?

Many thanks,

Bill Noon

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks David,

Anyone interested in this Alfa is warmly welcome to come and visit. You need not be a buyer. Enthusiasm is all that is required.

The car can be seen at 7440 La Jolla blvd, La Jolla, California 92037.

Ciao,

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Wow that is an amazing looking car.

Im going to have to move some of these photos and the cars story to the front page of the site!!

Good luck with the sale Bill.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are way to kind.

We have another really interesting Alfa going to Pebble this year. That one is at the shop but all are welcome to come and see it anytime.

Ciao,

Bill

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Bill, do you know who did the restoration on this car and when it was done? It seems to be tasteful and performed to quite high standards without going over the top (although the b/w pictures indicate the interior was not red).

Also, I must commend you to put 76 pictures of this car on your site. I just wish they were bigger -- or big enough to make some of them desktop pictures :D.

Altogether, a fantastic car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Ruedi,

The restoration was done by Tony Nicosia who is just as good as they get and a really nice guy to boot!

Email me at [email protected] and tell me which are your favorite photos and I will email super hi res versions back and you can use them and share them in anyway you wish.

Ciao,

Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Dan,

1939 6c2500 Enrique Platta Mille Miglia Spyder. Five year, complete restoration back to it hey day racing configuration.

I am afraid I have no photos of that one but anyone who visits can take as many as they like.

I usually only photograph client cars and the ones we have for sale.

Sorry,

Bill

·
Registered
313 Posts
6c

Bill,

Thank you for the invite. I live 5 miles west of the 405 at Sunset. I won't be coming down this weekend! I will however be very eager to see the car on the lawn next month. See you there.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
The car is stunning, but i really don't understand why the restorer didn't make interiors just like the photos show.
It is really a luck to have period photos of such rare car, why don't take profit from them?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Pictures in the book `Curiosalfa´ by Stefano Salvetti

Hello Bill,

Great car!
I found some pictures of this 1900 Coupe Super Sprint on pages 36 and 37 of the book ´Curiosalfa´ written by Stefano Salvetti. In these pictures the car is two tone and a picture of the chassis is featured too. Stefano said that only one was made? Stefano and Gippo Salvetti wrote more books on Alfa´s and are connected to the ´Alfa Blue Team´.

The book is called ´Curiosalfa´ and was written by Stefano Salvetti, published in 2010 by Fucina Editore. It contains hundreds of pictures of special bodies on Alfa´s from the 50´s to the 90´s. Coachbuilders mentioned and featured are Allemano, Boano, Boneschi, Castagna, Cisitalia, Colli, Fissore, Lombardi, Ghia, Ghia Aigle, Moretti, Osi, Pavesi, Scioneri, Stabilimenti Farina, Vignale, Worblaufen - F. Ramseier & Co, Zagato.

I know a carbookshop nearby that has copies available.

Ciao! Olaf

·
Registered
168 Posts
...some pictures of this 1900 Coupe Super Sprint on pages 36 and 37 of the book ´Curiosalfa´ written by Stefano Salvetti. In these pictures the car is two tone and a picture of the chassis is featured too. ...
I have not seen Stefano's book, but I believe the car you're referring to is an Abarth 2000, not an Alfa. One body virtually identical to the Alfa Ghia Speciale (chassis number *01742*) was built as an Abarth, possibly on a Gilco chassis. It's that chassis that may be the chassis illustrated in Stefano's book. The Abarth was white and green. While I'm short on details, I'm confident that others can corroborate this.

Bob
www.alfa1900.com

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Still, if this is the car refered to in the period article it should have been restored to that state. Especially the beloved dog seat in the rear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Bob, Olaf,

Many kind thanks for both of your inputs. The car is not the Abarth Alfa Ghia 2000 from early 1954. I do not know where that car is today or if it still exists but it was very much an Abarth "one-off" but with quite a bit of help from many. The 1900CSS we have is heavily based on that car. It uses the stock CSS chassis, running gear etc... with the all alloy, very thin and light Ghia Coachwork as it appears to day.

When the interior was restored the configuration remained as delivered but the two-tone seats with monograms were changed to simple all red.

Because the car was never raced or abused, it retains all the rare bits and pieces and I am assisting quite a few individuals with access to the car for reference on restorations.

Attached are photos I have been sent of the Abarth Alfa Ghia 2000 car from which the coachwork of this 1900CSS was based.

Ciao,

Bill Noon

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
10,664 Posts
Still, if this is the car refered to in the period article it should have been restored to that state. Especially the beloved dog seat in the rear.

Someone seems to believe there is a single right way with regards to a car that another person owns. Alfas were quite commonly modified repeatedly, with even one to the next in a "production" run having significant differences. This strikes me as somewhat the same as the debate between the group that believes all antique aircraft should be in hangars lest they be destroyed and those (who own them) that wish to fly and enjoy the great machines that they are.

If the owner likes red interior, that seems fine with me. Even a bad haircut can be put right in a while.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Luckily, everyone is entitled to his opinion.......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The "folding Dog Seat" is still there and remains completely functional. The only real change was getting rid of Al's two-tone seat trim and monogram.

Unless the next owner's first name starts with an "A" and their last name starts with a "W" I find it doubtful anyone will make the change back.

Cheers,

Bill

1 - 20 of 31 Posts