Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Hello,
sorry to hijack this thread, but I am selling a Siata Daina convertable, serial # SL 0172.
If interested, please pm me as soon as possible.
Thank you for your consideration,
Glenn
HMA
Glenn, it's not a Hi-jack given that Stu claimed in the post immediately preceding yours that he's buying the car and is paying for its restoration on a pay-as-you-go basis. Would you mind posting some pictures?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
A couple photos. Been calling around, seems to be a lot of interest, am giving a gent in LA a day to get back to me. Great car, would love to have had the chance to restore it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
A real hijack? "Poor-man's Cisitalia" ... or Siata?

OK. This may not be appropriate, but there is a tie-in. Honest!

Some sense of desperation is settling in for me to "simplify". I've had this for more than 20 years and haven't done anything with it other than replace a really bad tire so that it will roll. I am offering a modified Simca 8 Sport coupe (perhaps sold and/or raced at some point as a "Simca 9"?) that was fitted for a time with a Siata Daina Gran Sport engine ... but no longer. now without engine or gearbox or seats. Much cheaper than the Siata Daina cabriolet just "sold" here. Also less complete and less original. Wanna see some photos? If so, where should I post them?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK. This may not be appropriate, but there is a tie-in. Honest!

Some sense of desperation is settling in for me to "simplify". I've had this for more than 20 years and haven't done anything with it other than replace a really bad tire so that it will roll. I am offering a modified Simca 8 Sport coupe (perhaps sold and/or raced at some point as a "Simca 9"?) that was fitted for a time with a Siata Daina Gran Sport engine ... but no longer. now without engine or gearbox or seats. Much cheaper than the Siata Daina cabriolet just "sold" here. Also less complete and less original. Wanna see some photos? If so, where should I post them?
And I have an extra pair of seats for a Simca 8 Sport that I would sell. Now back to Siata Daina coupes.

Peter Zobian

·
Registered
218 Posts
SIATA Daina 1800 Berlinetta

I have decided to sell my 1950 Siata Daina 1800 Berlinetta with aluminum body by Stabilimenti Farina. It is 98-99% complete but it is apart and requires restoration. I have owned it for 27 years and it is one of only about 10 known to exist and one of only 3 known with the 1800cc motor and 15 inch wheels. Please, if you are looking for a cheap car, this is NOT it. This Siata is a guaranteed entry at almost any vintage event or concours, worldwide.

Serious inquiries only please email: [email protected]

Best regards,

Peter Zobian

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
#sl 0324c

The most consistent reference to this coupe body style is "Sport" or "Daina Sport" and this is the moniker that I use even though I rather think that the "Sport" moniker was originally intended to reflect the 1500cc engine variation over the more common 1400. Thus far, the "Daina Sport" chassis number range, intermingled with "Gran Sport" cars late in the Daina series, runs from SL*0274*B to SL*0330*(suffix letter not yet known). There are some interesting and important variations.

One early car, prepared for the Mille Miglia, has an impressive wiring system and what amounts to duplicate charging, lighting and ignition systems so that a quick switch can be made should one fail.

There probably were a few more, but five cars are identified that were bodied by Stabilimenti Farina. When Stabilimenti Farina closed their doors late in 1952, production of this body style passed to Bertone who gave it their own design/tracking number "51". Body No. 5101 is on chassis SL*0319*B. SL*0320*B has yet to supply its number and then SL*0322*B is body N. 5104. Body No. 5106 is SL*0324*C and this "highest" number tells us that at least six cars were bodied in this style by Bertone. There could well be others that are higher. SL*0330 is said to be by Stabilimenti Farina but that seems unlikely. One day, I hope that a body number will be found that will tell us who built the body and when in the coachbuilder's sequence.

The link referred to earlier shows a photo of SL*0322*B as near as I can tell. My father owned it for many years and I did some rust repair but never had the time to do it all.

I do not believe that we have identified all of the Stabilimenti Farina cars. There certainly are at least three "missing" Bertone variations ... unless SL*0330 turns out to be one of those. All in all, a very rare and desirable car. Pleasant and capable. Outstanding handling, partly because the engine had not enough suds to overpower the chassis.

Don't know why these discussions seem to degenerate to discussions of value. Even 25 years ago, oldtimers would say that it didn't used to be that way. Value? Very difficult to say. More than U.S. $50k and something under a half-million would be a fair estimate. Depends a bit on money's value to you. But not just to you. Today's world gives us a much more unified playing field informationwise, so often it is no longer just your own sense of "value" that is at play. That is one reason why auctions often work so well ... for sellers.
I am the current owner of Siata Daina # SL 0324C with Bertone body #5106. The car was imported from the US and is being restored in The Netherlands and will hopefully be finished early next year. Recently it was painted silver grey metallic with blood red wire wheels, being the original colour scheme. I have a full history of the car. The former owner was Del Lance who regularly raced it in the Ohio region. At the time it was fitted with a Volvo B18 unit being one of the experimental Volvo engines destined for the P1800. Now the car is fitted with a Fiat 1400 engine.
Many pictures of the car during Del's ownership can be seen on the internet: painted red and carrying number 353 on the doors.
I will post a picture of the Siata once the restoration has been completed and would be very grateful for any information on my car.

Bart Kraak

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Siata Daina - Cars known today

After a couple of years it seems time to update the listing of "known to exist" Siata Daina cars built 1950-1952. A few have turned up and one was accidently omitted from my listing here as of 2008. Another posting will follow in a few days with some similar Siata Daina "Gran Sport" information.

Here is a bare-bones listing of the cars that are known to exist. As an introduction, I will acknowledge that I've collected chassis number data on six additional Daina "coupe" that I tend to call "berlinetta" as the technical definition of a "coupe" includes the so-called "notchback" styling feature. I've also gathered some data on one additional cabriolet by chassis number and have many additional anecdotal snippets about dozens of additional cars that are described to varying degrees .... but not yet by chassis number.

It is important to acknowledge that, contrary to what many websites say or imply today, the chassis was not by Fiat but was a custom box-section design that was made by Siata. There is a chance that Siata used an outside supplier for some of the chassis production. The chassis was designed and built to allow the use of a large number of standard Fiat parts including the front cross-member that was bolted into place on both Siata Daina and the "parent" Fiat 1400.

The following cars are known to exist today. I am sure that there are more cars and engines remaining to be found and identified today.

SL*0102* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0121* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0139* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0158* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0168* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0181* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0188* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0190* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0194* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0198* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0201*S berlinetta fuoriserie (perhaps Vignale?)
SL*0202* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0204* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry
Additions to the above:

SL*0170* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0172* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0177* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina (accidently omitted previously)
SL*0191*(?) berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina (may have just turned up? ... early history partially known)
SL*0200* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina

And, for the purpose of search engines that may need some assistance finding this, I will list them all again without the asterisks representing the "stars" used as delimiters in the chassis and engine numbers.

SL0102, SL0121, SL0139, SL0158, SL0168, SL0170, SL0172, SL0177, SL0181, SL0188, SL0190, SL0191 (?), SL0194, SL0198, SL0200, SL0201S, SL0202, SL0204. Additionally, some historical information has been gathered for another ten identified cars in this numerical range as well as numerous leads to cars that are not yet identified by chassis/engine number.

As always, I am eager to add detail to the listing and to the individual descriptions of each car.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Siata Daina Gran Sport (early and late)

Reminder: For those who do not know this already, there is some inaccurate information on the internet as to the expansion of the Siata (S.I.A.T.A.) acronym.

From 1926 to 1949, the name could vary a bit in advertisements but the most regular expansion was: "Societa Italiana Applicazioni Techniche Auto-Aviatorie". During 1949, the name was changed to "Societa Italiana Auto Trasformazioni Accessori" and this name was used until 1959. This latter name expansion was in use for all but the earliest production of Siata Amica and Sport-Corsa series. So, when referring to the Amica'50, the entire Daina series, the 300BC and the 208S & 208CS cars, it is really only the latter expansion (1949-1959) that is accurate. JOURNALISTS AND AUTHORS, PLEASE TAKE NOTE!

There are no records to work with so it is the individual cars that give us the following information. There is much that we do not know with certainty!

A small number of Siata Gran Sport cars were built on what seems to have been the same chassis configuration as the "normal" Daina series. Although the earliest Gran Sport chassis number known today is SL*0208*, there could well have been a number of earlier similar cars with numbers interspersed among the "normal" Daina offerings along with other individual specials such as limousine and "Rallye", the latter somewhat resembling an MG-TD and made in at least two examples. The engine in these early cars sat over the front suspension cross-member as it did in the donor Fiat 1400. And again, there is some incorrect information out there on the internet. The chassis incorporated some relatively normal mechanical parts from Fiat, including the front cross-member itself, but the chassis were designed and made by Siata.

The majority of the cars seemed to come to the USA and I believe there are additional examples out there waiting to be found. The engines were prone to freeze-damage (and poor parts availability in the USA) so a great number of cars lost their original engines in favor of something more readily serviceable and generally more powerful. One "fault" of the Daina-series cars in their original form is that they handle so well that they really required additional horsepower to make them exciting from a driver's standpoint.

In a few cases, we know of engines but do not know what sort of chassis they were fit to originally.

In general, there is actually a star separating letters from numbers in the following listing.

Gran Sport cars & engines that are described thus far are:

SL0208 (car exists without original engine)
SL0209 (engine only from an undescribed car)
SL0210 (car and engine exist separately)
SL0211 (car exists without original engine)
SL0212 (car exists with original engine still fitted)
SL0214 (car with perhaps original engine still fitted?)
SL0215 (engine only from an undescribed car)
SL0216 (car exists without original engine)
SL0217 (car exists without original engine)
SL0221 (engine fitted (new?) early in 1952 to a Fiat 1400)

As with the uncertainty about where the Gran Sport numeration begins, we cannot be certain that there were none of the early Gran Sport or "normal" Daina cars numbered among the "B" suffix chassis numbers. Although it seems unlikely at this stage of our studies there is the possibility of some overlap?

"B" suffix cars seem to represent a chassis development that moved the engine behind the front cross-member. The body, which is not 100% consistent, changed a bit with the new engine location. Most obvious is the longer distance between the top of the grille and the front of the engine bay opening. This affected the location of the Siata badge. Two cars have appeared very late in the series with "C" suffixes to the chassis number. It is not yet known what the "C" represents.

SL0224B (car and engine exist separately)
SL0228B (car exists without original engine)
SL0229B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0230B (car exists without original engine)
SL0231B (car and engine exist separately)
SL0233B (car exists without original engine)
SL0236B (car exists with original engine still fitted)
SL0238B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0239B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0241B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0242B (car scrapped, engine survives)
SL0244B (car exists without original engine)
SL0245B (car exists perhaps with original engine (or SL0251B?) fitted?)
SL0246B (car exists, accompanied by engine SL0324C)
SL0248B (car exists with original engine that is not fitted during use)
SL0251B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0252B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0253B (car exists)
SL0255B (car exists, engine reportedly scrapped)
SL0256B (scrapped, some parts remain)
SL0259B (scrapped, some parts remain)
SL0262B (car exists)
SL0264B (car and engine exist separately)
SL0266B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0272B (car exists perhaps with original engine refitted?)
SL0274B Coupe Stab. Farina (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0280B All-alloy spider (car exists accompanied by original engine, SL0231B fitted for use.)
SL0281B (car exists with un-numbered early replacement engine still fitted?)
SL0286B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0287B Coupe Stab. Farina (car exists, believed with original engine still fitted?)
SL0288B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0289B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0293B (unknown today but history partially described)
SL0298B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0300B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0301B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0302B Coupe Stab. Farina (details unknown)
SL0304B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0307B (car exists, original engine reportedly scrapped)
SL0308B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0309B (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0314 Coupe Stab. Farina (unknown today but history partially described)
SL0316B Coupe Stab. Farina (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0319B Coupe Bertone (car exists perhaps with original engine still fitted?)
SL0320B Coupe Bertone (car exists with original engine still fitted)
SL0322B Coupe Bertone (car exists with original engine still fitted)
SL0324C Coupe Bertone (car and engine exist separately)
SL0326C Coupe Bertone (car exists with original engine still fitted)
SL0330 Coupe (Bertone presumed) (car exists)

I will be pleased to revise this listing with news of cars and/or engines that are new to the listing as well as confirmation of engine locations. Any owner who supplies news directly to me will receive a more-detailed listing in exchange.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Altissimo "Solex" mantle clock tail-lamp unit

Peter,

I have found maybe ten or more of these tail lamp units at swap meets in Italy over the years. Some were too expensive and I did not purchase them. Condition ranged from NOS to almost un-restorable. Those that I purchased (maybe half?) have been passed on to others who were in need. I do have some original lenses in a couple of styles as well as a few reproductions that I got from Barry Silverman in a large batch of parts.

It would not be extremely difficult to make tooling to reproduce the basic metal pressings but duplicating the stamping tools to recreate the markings on them would probably be an interesting task!

John

·
Registered
13 Posts

John,
I am the buyer of #0217. At the moment the car is on her way to Rotterdam accompanied by engine #0194. I would love to get your opinion on my car esp. as you mentioned a possibility of having been a Siata Volvo and being yellow.
Best regards
Hannes Zieser

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the mid-1970's, my father purchased and drove a Siata coupe. He has a few Polaroid's, but no other documentation of the car. The documentation on the web is extremely thin - I can't even positively identify the model name or engine type that would have been in this car. Here are the images we have:

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
In the mid-1970's, my father purchased and drove a Siata coupe. He has a few Polaroid's, but no other documentation of the car. The documentation on the web is extremely thin - I can't even positively identify the model name or engine type that would have been in this car. Here are the images we have:
Welcome to AlfaBB and thank you for sharing these pictures. Can you tell us where the car was purchased, where the pictures were taken and when/how the car was sold or lost?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dad was in the US Navy during the 1970's, and when he had a little extra cash he would buy interesting cars he found while in port. I'll call him and see if he can remember more details about this particular car. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Siata Daina Sport

Hello "nderwater". Welcome! Thank you for sharing the photos. I happen to know the car.

This is a Siata Daina "Sport" coupe, the fourth similar car bodied mostly in steel by Bertone. The same essential design was built previously in a few examples (mostly in aluminum) by Stabilimenti Farina before they closed their doors late in 1952. The egg-crate grille in your photos is distinctive in that it is not the original. The chassis/engine number is SL*0322*B. I don't recall looking inside the engine but it is likely that the Fiat 1400-derived engine was fitted with Siata "Sport" parts (stroker crank and larger bore) that raised the displacement to 1500cc. That is all subject to confirmation.

I am guessing that your dad's name is Mark D. or Richard T. ??? It came to the USA from Rob de la Rive Box (Switzerland) circa January 1973 to Mark D. and then was sold to Richard T. around 1974/1975. It went through a couple of additional owner/dealer types and my father bought it in the early 1980's and brought it to California. My father sold it during 2003 to a new owner in Belgium and it has been sold on again at least once and was still in Europe last I heard.

Rob Box told me that he purchased the car from "Waldemar Daugaard" of Zurich (where it had been registered) and it had reportedly been owned earlier (perhaps from new?) by someone named Beaucourt, perhaps in Paris?

The engine photo is from about 1972 when (or just before?) it was purchased by Rob Box. The color photo is from about 1980 when the car was stored in Illinois while owned by John O'Donnell in New Jersey.

As always, additional details are always welcome!

It is a very cool car that I wish was still in my father's garage.

Thanks again for sharing!

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

Attachments

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I continue to be amazed how AlfaBB sometimes allows previously disconnected stories of rare cars coming together and creating a better sense of history.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts