Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for other owners of this model (1952 Siata Daina Coupe) as I have one in fully-restored condition. It is nearly impossible to find out much about this as so few were made.

Anyone got one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Siata Diana Information

There is hope for more information of the Siata Diana production though no actual records have ever been recovered. I believe the earliest chassis known is SL0102 and the latest to date discovered is SL 0330.
John de Boer's 'Italian Car Register' is a a valuable source of information and there is a new Encyclopedia Etceterini by Alessandro Bruno (IT) which has further information. To date this is only published in Italian and French but an English version may be available next year.
You could also contact the Blackhawk Collection in CA - they have had there fair share of Siata over the years and may be able to help.
Sorry - I don't own a Diana so I cannot help with the practical stuff.
Good Luck

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I am looking for other owners of this model (1952 Siata Daina Coupe) as I have one in fully-restored condition. It is nearly impossible to find out much about this as so few were made.

Anyone got one?
Peter Zobian in Cambria California has had 2 or 3 of them. His e-mail is: [email protected]

There were also a small number of notchback coupes made.

History Models of Italy has made models of the notchback coupe and the spider, but not of the fastback. Grand Prix Models in England is the only English speaking place in the world that I know of that carries History Models brand..

http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/shop/result.asp?pg=&schRef=&schCarType=Siata&schYear=&schDriver=&schSponsor=&schEvent=&schScale=All&schManufact=All&schKit=All&myID=&sav=All&t=None&c=&#res

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
A friend of my father's owns a perfect one, or at least he did have about 5 years ago when I last saw it. Lovely little car with a love-it-or-hate-it nose, as I remember. Sorry but don't have any photos. This car was featured in Auto Italia magazine some years ago. Good luck!

Alex.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does not Tony Adriaensens Fiat 8V book contain some Siata info, even on the Daina? I only wish I had the money to buy a copy...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Does not Tony Adriaensens Fiat 8V book contain some Siata info, even on the Daina? I only wish I had the money to buy a copy...
Unfortunately, I can't afford Tony's fantastic Fiat 8V/Siata 208 book either. I have seen a copy, and if I remember correctly, it only really covers the 8 cylinder cars. A.Fornai did a soft cover book on all Siatas that is pretty good in 2002. His e-mail is: [email protected] He also has done a similar book on Moetti, and a few on various Italian coachbuilders. I may have an extra copy of the Siata book somewhere amongst my piles of stuff that needs to get filed :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a picture of the notchback coupe. I believe only a handful were made with this body, and I have never seen one in person. All the ones Peter Zobian had were fastbacks.
Yup. I think 12 were made and 3 or 4 are left that I know of. Any idea what something like this might be worth and how I would best go about selling it? Christies? Hemmings? Ad in Podunk, Iowa Daily Observer? ;)

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
...Any idea what something like this might be worth and how I would best go about selling it? Christies? Hemmings? Ad in Podunk, Iowa Daily Observer? ;)
I don't know if it covers the notchback as well, but the Cars That Matter price guide says this about prices for the Daina coupe:
cond. 1: US$ 60,000
cond. 2: US$ 42,000
cond. 3: US$ 30,000
cond. 4: US$ 21,000

As far a venue is concerned, I'd rule out Podunk, and Christie's seems to have ruled itself out--they folded their car auction department 2 weeks ago (some of their top personnel went to Bonhams). But I'd think that auction is still the best way to go, probably in one of the European auction venues (Monaco in May?).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The model is question appears to be rare enough that auction is probably the realistic way... I don't think it can compare to the larger production runs.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I don't know if it covers the notchback as well, but the Cars That Matter price guide says this about prices for the Daina coupe:
cond. 1: US$ 60,000
cond. 2: US$ 42,000
cond. 3: US$ 30,000
cond. 4: US$ 21,000

As far a venue is concerned, I'd rule out Podunk, and Christie's seems to have ruled itself out--they folded their car auction department 2 weeks ago (some of their top personnel went to Bonhams). But I'd think that auction is still the best way to go, probably in one of the European auction venues (Monaco in May?).
Your prices are much to low. A restored Diana spider S/N with a 302 Ford stuffed in, but otherwise in excellent condition, is for sale at 95,000 EUROS at Koch Klassik!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry Stu,

I know, Koch is located in Heilbronn, Germany, but his pricefindings are from the moon sometimes .....
He asked for round about 580.000 $ for his Fiat Otto Vu ( only looking for wealthy people with no knowledge ?)

Peter L

P.S. You recogniced what he did to the Fiat 2300 Ghia Abarth? :mad:

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I know, Koch is located in Heilbronn, Germany, but his pricefindings are from the moon sometimes .....
He asked for round about 580.000 $ for his Fiat Otto Vu ( only looking for wealthy people with no knowledge ?)

Peter L

P.S. You recogniced what he did to the Fiat 2300 Ghia Abarth? :mad:

I heard a rumor of a Fiat 8V Zagato recently selling for something like $900,000 US, so $580,000 is big money, but not totally insane, if this is true!!

As to the Abarth Ghia 2300, I hate people who bastardize cars to suit their own taste :mad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yup. I think 12 were made and 3 or 4 are left that I know of. Any idea what something like this might be worth and how I would best go about selling it? Christies? Hemmings? Ad in Podunk, Iowa Daily Observer? ;)
Why don't you post some pictures of your Siata and instead of a price put "accepting offers"? AlfaBB has quite a following and you might get very quickly a feel for the market value and level of interest for your car, without spending any money or making and commitments...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I believe the car, if totally restored, is worth $150,000+

Please give me the S/N by e-mail or PM and I just might have something on the history of the car!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Siata Daina "Sport"

The most consistent reference to this coupe body style is "Sport" or "Daina Sport" and this is the moniker that I use even though I rather think that the "Sport" moniker was originally intended to reflect the 1500cc engine variation over the more common 1400. Thus far, the "Daina Sport" chassis number range, intermingled with "Gran Sport" cars late in the Daina series, runs from SL*0274*B to SL*0330*(suffix letter not yet known). There are some interesting and important variations.

One early car, prepared for the Mille Miglia, has an impressive wiring system and what amounts to duplicate charging, lighting and ignition systems so that a quick switch can be made should one fail.

There probably were a few more, but five cars are identified that were bodied by Stabilimenti Farina. When Stabilimenti Farina closed their doors late in 1952, production of this body style passed to Bertone who gave it their own design/tracking number "51". Body No. 5101 is on chassis SL*0319*B. SL*0320*B has yet to supply its number and then SL*0322*B is body N. 5104. Body No. 5106 is SL*0324*C and this "highest" number tells us that at least six cars were bodied in this style by Bertone. There could well be others that are higher. SL*0330 is said to be by Stabilimenti Farina but that seems unlikely. One day, I hope that a body number will be found that will tell us who built the body and when in the coachbuilder's sequence.

The link referred to earlier shows a photo of SL*0322*B as near as I can tell. My father owned it for many years and I did some rust repair but never had the time to do it all.

I do not believe that we have identified all of the Stabilimenti Farina cars. There certainly are at least three "missing" Bertone variations ... unless SL*0330 turns out to be one of those. All in all, a very rare and desirable car. Pleasant and capable. Outstanding handling, partly because the engine had not enough suds to overpower the chassis.

Don't know why these discussions seem to degenerate to discussions of value. Even 25 years ago, oldtimers would say that it didn't used to be that way. Value? Very difficult to say. More than U.S. $50k and something under a half-million would be a fair estimate. Depends a bit on money's value to you. But not just to you. Today's world gives us a much more unified playing field informationwise, so often it is no longer just your own sense of "value" that is at play. That is one reason why auctions often work so well ... for sellers.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts