Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use 195/65/14 tire size on a Giulia super stock height without any rubbing on the back wheels.
The stock tires are 185/70/14 which is 24.2 inches in diameter and the 195/65/14 will be 24.0 in.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
It depends on the width and offset of your wheels.....

·
Super Moderator
11,532 Posts
The stock tires are 185/70/14 which is 24.2 inches in diameter and the 195/65/14 will be 24.0 in.
Actually, the body was designed for 155R15's. Real skinny tires.

It depends on the width and offset of your wheels.....
The issue isn't the diameter of the wheel, it's how far they protrude to the outside. The rear wheel arch is pretty tight on a Super, and wide wheels with chubby tires may interfere when you hit bumps.

So the answer is: "Maybe it will work, but it depends on how wide your wheels are, what their offset is, and how low your car rides". You could ask your tire shop if they'll let you return tires with chewed up sidewalls, but I can predict their answer.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,430 Posts
On most Supers the 195s will, at some point, rub. You may not find this out until you drive on a twisty road with 4 people in the car and luggage in the trunk.

There really aren't any compelling tire choices in the 195/65-14 size anyway, so I would stay with the 185/70-14s.

·
Premium Member
22,631 Posts
185 will fit no problem. I would expect 195 to get pretty darn close on the outside fender, probably OK on the inside. A common issue if the car hasn't had recent suspension rebuilding is the outer plastic bushings in the trunnion get sloppy or nonexistent and allow the body to shift sideways while cornering, causing it to rub on the tires.
At stock height you're better off in this department. The lower you go, the smaller the space gets.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,631 Posts
You know, I'm an idiot. I forgot that I have 195/60-14 Ventus RS-2 on my track Super, with rear fenders unmodified except by rust, on 6" Bosch Spider wheels, and no rubbing ever, even sliding into the dirt at Buttonwillow (last weekend). The Sedan racers last weekend all agreed 205 is just too wide, even with a little subtle fender massaging, but 195 fits fine unless you use 7" wheels, which brings the track out a bit. Back-spacing with offset can help, but not you're on your own somewhat.
Mike Valant's old car can accept 205 and more, but its rear fenders are cut away, and have skirts. That's more extreme than most folks want to do to a Super.
Andrew

·
Supporting Vendor
4,430 Posts
You know, I'm an idiot. I forgot that I have 195/60-14 Ventus RS-2 on my track Super
Right, but 195/60-14 is undergearing the car a bit compared to 185/70-14, with a diameter of only 23.2 in . That is probably acceptable on a track car and less so on a street car?

195/65-14 is closer to stock height, but may rub. Sometimes wide is OK, and tall is OK, but wide + tall = clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
22,631 Posts
You're right on all counts. I don't care about the gearing change so much on my track car, in fact it's probably better. A lot of guys are running 4.77 and 5.12; I've got a 4.56. Mine is not a high-rpm engine, so I'd run out of revs with a lower ratio.
Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts