Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up one Falken Azenis in 195/60/14 to check for fit/appearance -anyone else running this size on a S3 Spider (1983) Stock profile was 70. Dealer America's Tire tells me they cannot get a 70 -

·
Super Moderator
10,615 Posts
America's Tire tells me they cannot get a 70 -
Did Americas Tire say that they can't get Falken Azenis in 70's series, or that they can't get any 70's series, 14" tires? I know that other dealers / other brands certainly offer 70's series.

·
Super Moderator
10,615 Posts
do 70's even exist for the Azenis?
I don't know the answer to that question, nor whether other manufacturers offer something like the Azenis in a 70 profile. But, you might do some research on Tire Rack - they offer a pretty wide selection.

At the end of the day, you'll probably find that the latest performance technology isn't available on 185-70/14's. The question you need to ask yourself is whether the vintage suspension design of a 115 Alfa would even benefit from that technology. And if your Alfa has a Burman steering box, whether it's worth subjecting it to the loads that wider tires impart.

·
Administrator
12,574 Posts
Don't get why you guys are putting such wide tyres on your Spiders, let alone any 105 series?

Why? Looks? ... grip?, a Toyota Prius probably has more grip.

Each to their own, but don't criticize teenagers in their Hondas with body kits, etc.
Pete

·
Registered
186 Posts
OP: 195/60 14s fit great, look great, and performs great. Car is lowered on a complete Alfaholics kit.

Don't get why you guys are putting such wide tyres on your Spiders, let alone any 105 series?

Why? Looks? ... grip?, a Toyota Prius probably has more grip.

Each to their own, but don't criticize teenagers in their Hondas with body kits, etc.
No one asked for your opinion, boss.

·
Push hard and live
9,626 Posts
On the AlfaBB, it is a given that everyone’s opinion is fair game. It’s perfectly OK to ignore advice drawn from many decades of experience.

I’m driving a set of the CN36’s on my 77 Spider, and completely happy. Very light steering, brilliant control.

I’m considering putting the same on my Alfetta Sprint, but anticipate more cold-weather ops with that car, arguing for an all-weather tire.

·
Registered
186 Posts
On the AlfaBB, it is a given that everyone’s opinion is fair game. It’s perfectly OK to ignore advice drawn from many decades of experience.
I admire and the wealth of information in the BB. If PSk's reply contained any actual advice or useful information I would react positively and constructively, absorb the information, ignore the opinion portion, and move on. That was no advice - It was non-constructive, for no purpose other than to criticize without basis.

We are veering off topic and that was my fault, my apologies for taking the bait.

·
Push hard and live
9,626 Posts
Well..... another perspective perhaps.

I’m nearly 70. My first auto-related job was as parts manager at an Alfa dealer. I ended up having a long career in the auto parts biz.

It was, perhaps, a bit like being a doctor in the ER ward. I got to see a steady stream of outcomes from the decidedly flawed thinking of owners and mechanics. As a “parts guy”, we really wanted to help. Partly because it felt good to share proficiency in service to a customer, but also because there was always a percentage of people that were prone to blame the parts guy when their imagined skills didn’t produce a happy result.

it being the 70s, we’d often get a teenager or 20-something come in the store driving a heavily modified VW. Their question would be “how can I get 10 more horsepower?”.

After a glance outside to the parking lot, I’d reply “take off those monster rear tires and replace them with something the right size”.

My impression was that PSK’s comments were both on point, and in the humorous collegial spirit that is normal around here.

Some of the teenagers didn’t like my advice either.

·
Registered
186 Posts
See Don, I can see the humorous collegial spirit in your post. It has a great story framed as advice. It has a finality, basis, and is supported by your experience.

Maybe this was one of those cases where written conversation makes it hard to convey the true purpose of the information being relayed. My apologies to PSk and the rest of the AlfaBB family.

·
Registered
335 Posts
With 195 / 60 / 14's my pan-guard scraped often. Had to be real careful and still it got smashed up against the pan several times. Went to 70's and the problem is much reduced.

David O'D
Laguna CA

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I used to have that problem ( panguard hitting things ), removed it and spent Sat/Sun. pounding it back into ( quasi ) orig. shape and painting it.. Then, going out and bonking it on something else. At least I knew what I was doing the following weekend, And these were in the 205/60's days [ Fuldas ] that i wore for many many years.
The fix?
Lower the suspension, remove the #[email protected]! pan guard. Haven't hat anything since. Have scraped a few times.
[ watch those steep driveways! ].

<soapbox> Uhhh, on topic - it's now ( since 2011 ) been Falkens Azeini 195/60, boy do thy stick, and can be a bit noisy at times, but look so good, I even stopped looking for 205's. Well, not actually, but I know it's a lost cause - I think I'm in the acceptance stage now.
Anyway, put anything you want, with the small caveat that you may have to try different things, moosh stuff around, spend inordinate time/money fudging this way or that, but hey - it's a hobby, and it's yours.
Ask for all the advice you can stomach, but as Capitan of your ALFA , you may take all or none or a piece here or there. Enjoy. <off soapbox>

·
Administrator
12,574 Posts
I'm happy to apologize and blame isolation ... I didn't help the thread.

I do suffer from "if it's not an actual race car, don't get performance modifications, including fat tyres" ... I haven't found the right medication yet :)

Sorry guys. Have fun
Pete

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm happy to apologize and blame isolation ... I didn't help the thread.

I do suffer from "if it's not an actual race car, don't get performance modifications, including fat tyres" ... I haven't found the right medication yet :)

Sorry guys
Pete
I think we all need a much needed winding road drive with nothing else to worry about, Pete.

Uhhh, on topic - it's now ( since 2011 ) been Falkens Azeini 195/60, boy do thy stick
I remember when Azenis was THE tire to have for autocrossing. I think they are still pretty darn good, but dethroned by those DOT-R tires.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts