Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,
I'm trying to locate as many info as I can about the swiss pilot HANS FREY and his BMW 328 which seems to have been built by "milanese" garage Volpini.

I know for sure he raced with this car in 1949 at:

- Mille Miglia (race number 613)
- Garda Lake Circuit
- Formula 2 GP in Monza (race number 32).

Thank you very much for your help

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
I did a quick search for "Hans AND Frey" on Zwischengas.com, limiting the dates to 1949. Some quick results:

ADAC Motorwelt Nr. 7, dated 01-Jul-1949, reports on page 16 that Hans Frey did not finish the Mille Miglia. The specific text in column 3 is "Die meisten Ausfälle erfolgen wie erwartet im Nebel der Apeninnenberge, als auch in der Kontrolle zwischen Rom und Pescara. Hier ist es auch der BMW des Schweizers Hans Frey, der zur Aufgabe gezwungen ist."

I did two more searches for 1948 and 1950 but found no meaningful results (but did not spend much time on it, either).

You may want to try contacting the Swiss Car Register. Although their focus is on Swiss coach builders, they have quite an interesting collection of publications -- some of it may cover racing history.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a quick search for "Hans AND Frey" on Zwischengas.com, limiting the dates to 1949. Some quick results:

ADAC Motorwelt Nr. 7, dated 01-Jul-1949, reports on page 16 that Hans Frey did not finish the Mille Miglia. The specific text in column 3 is "Die meisten Ausfälle erfolgen wie erwartet im Nebel der Apeninnenberge, als auch in der Kontrolle zwischen Rom und Pescara. Hier ist es auch der BMW des Schweizers Hans Frey, der zur Aufgabe gezwungen ist."

I did two more searches for 1948 and 1950 but found no meaningful results (but did not spend much time on it, either).

You may want to try contacting the Swiss Car Register. Although their focus is on Swiss coach builders, they have quite an interesting collection of publications -- some of it may cover racing history.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hans Frey .... not sure but seems it was an ex WW2 german fighter pilot with more of ten uk pilots killed. He escaped in Suisse to avoid the prison as nazi propaganda man.
He in 1949 raced in some F2 grand prix. unsuccessful.... no more on my side. sorry,

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Volpini was an engine tuner and not a coachbuilder. At his garage in Milan he worked before and after the WWII. Particularly active with private race drivers and the Scuderia Ambrosiana, Volpini cooperated many times with Tinarelli, Colli and Roselli (Fiat engineer) in the period 1946-50. He also tuned the Mario Vicentini's and the Raymond Schmid's BMW 328 spider in 1948.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
I think it's very unlikely that a German would have been able to race under Swiss Nationality (he would have been referred to as a German residing in Switzerland) -- as he would first have had to obtain immigrant status and then apply for citizenship, which at the time required immigrant status and residence in the same township for at least 20 if not 25 years.

The name Hans Frey seems not to be unique. It seems quite possible that more than one racer used that name during the period (but I would guess that an ex-Nazi who fled prosecution would keep a low profile and not travel to races across Europe). For example, this web page (with truly annoying sound) indicates there was another racer by the name of Hans Frey (born 1956, passed 2010).

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
BMW 2000

Some computer woes (and other distractions) have kept me away from the AlfaBB for a time. Hopefully the computer will behave for a few moments?

Before sharing what can be learned through some simple research with information already gathered, I must ask the nature of the interest in this particular car. Do you have it? Are you searching for it? Are you seeking to build a "tribute" to it?

Please tell us what you know or what you think you know.

Something might be learned by studying his co-driver, "Cavenago" on the MM of 1949.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts