Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I can't understand why so many journalists want to increase a fake legend like this one. I had to argue about it even on prewar.com, where the users are quite experts about prewar cars, but probably when the car in question is italian every awareness vanishes into thin air....
Has this car the certificato d'origine titled to Claretta or Marcello Petacci? No
Is the license plate original? Not verified
Where is the document of the requisition by the Italian partisans? Untraceable
Why the car had been sent to Livorno (Camp Darby is near Livorno) and not to Milan where the partisan headquarter was? Unknown
Where is the document which titled the ownership to the US Army? Untraceable

Without any answer this car could belong to anybody....my garage is plenty of black 1938/41 Alfas attributable to Mussolini. But the worst is the auction house validated this story on the catalogue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How could a major auction house make those claims?

You would think they would have documentation, showing her with the car at one time. I know I was chasing the history of the Goering Mercedes 540K but there are at least pictures of him with the car, and not that many owners. That one was captured by the GIs going to Hitler's Eagles Nest and the 101st Airborne commandeered it and took it back to the US. Did Mussolini's mistress even drive? .

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I can't understand this policy...
Claretta Petacci didn't get the driving license, she had a personal chaffeur.
Mussolini got it at 42.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know what the car sold for new in 1939 and does someone know what the exchange rate would have been into US dollars in 1939?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The price list of a Touring berlinetta was 79500 liras in Italy, equal to 8109 US dollars.
But this evaluation isn't correct because Alfa Romeo didn't have a sale network in the USA and a price list in dollars. And i presume that an US tourist could buy this car in Italy during his tour at a better price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts