Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Imperial Palace Collection

My notes indicate that the Imperial Palace had two cars and may still have one. No mention of a 6C2300 in my files, so perhaps there is/was another?

915005 (SuperSport conversion #5) ... > Imperial Palace(?) > last known in Netherlands

915033 (Sport) ex Claretta Petacci > Keno > Imperial Palace

Neither was supercharged.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Imperial Palace AR6C followup

My notes and records are certainly not complete so I appreciate input. That is one main reason why I share lists. The hope is always to stimulate input. It is not to say "This is the way it was, period." I don't expect our knowledge will ever become complete enough or definitive enough in all ways to say that we know it all, done, finito. In fact, even amongst the things we think we know, there is the occasional "oops" based on a mistaken assumption somewhere in the chain. All we can do at that point is correct the former error and try to explain it, best done if the nature of the confusion can be determined.

With that in mind, looking again at my notes:

915005 is not certain to have been through Imperial Palace as I have it listed as "Imperial Palace?" in the chain of ownership. Note the question mark that I missed in my hasty scan of the listing yesterday. There is the chance that 915033 was mistaken as 915005 at some point.

915033 is definitely the "ex-Petacci" car that was at Imperial Palace for some time. It is not a stretch to think that it came as a gift from "Mussolini and was therefor referred to at times as "ex-Mussolini". I should say: "claimed ex-Claretta Petacci"!

If Imperial Palace also offered and sold 915030, then the reports that Malcolm Harris and Charlie Harris sold that car would seem to be true. It is not claimed to be "ex Mussolini" nor does it have a supercharger. As a point of interest that may allude to additional history, it was discovered having quite a number of Czech parts in it.

As an aside, I would not be surprised to find that a 6C2300 or 6C2500 was fitted "in period" with a supercharger for road use by someone somewhere. Perhaps even for a minor race somewhere even though I don't recall seeing any trace of that in data collected on a lot of obscure events.

However, NOT FOR RACING IN ANY MAJOR EVENT IN ITALY! The racing rules of the late 1930's forbade the use of superchargers in all but GP (formula) style events. There were free formula events here and there ... so there is always a possibility ...

All the best.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.