Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Wasn't there an ex-Mussolini Alfa in the Harrah Collection many years ago? I remember seeing one of Hitler's armoured Mercedes there in about 1987, for sure ...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
http://www.twthieme.nl/Alfa-Romeo-Cars-03.html

Photo in this link: Is this car a 2300B or 2500?
Does anyone have information, drawings or photos of the supercharger set up on this car? Power output?
Were there any other works supercharged 6C 2300/2500's?

As far as I am aware, there were no 6c2300, 2300B, or 2500s that came from the factory with a supercharger. There was an article on a 6c2500 PF short chassis conv't that an American had added as supercharger too in a 1950s Road and Track magazine.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Wasn't there an ex-Mussolini Alfa in the Harrah Collection many years ago? I remember seeing one of Hitler's armoured Mercedes there in about 1987, for sure ...
If I remember correctly, the Imperial Palace use to display an Alfa that belonged to one of Mussolini's mistresses. I have photos somewhere, but they are really buried and I'm sure it wasnt the 39 compressore.
http://www.imperialpalace.com/autos.php#

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
That's the one! Apologies if it's not the same place ... I was only 14 years old at the time :rolleyes:

What sticks in my mind was walking back to the hotel in Vegas at midnight and seeing the temperature at 95 degrees, and it was comfortable. Oh, and the lights, the cute girls in The Sands ...... :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Isn't there some mistake regarding 6C versus 8c
The first pictures on the site is 8C, and that was with supercharger.
The 6c was not in supercharger version official.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
As far as I am aware, there was NO 6c2300, 2300B, or 2500 that came from the factory with a supercharger!!

I am aware of at least one 6c2500 that was in southern California in the 1960s that had a supercharger added in the early 1950s, when the car first came to the US.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK. So the general consensus is that the was no works produced blown 6C 2300/2500.
Is the black car in the link mis-described?
Where is it?
Is it blown now?
What is it's history?

Another blown 6C 2300B is the one Murray Rainey built for his daughter's special. It has twin (single stage) blowers and is also dry sumped.
I'm also fitting a gear driven blower to my pre-war 6C2500 speciale using finned manifolds cast by Rainey.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't there some mistake regarding 6C versus 8c
The first pictures on the site is 8C, and that was with supercharger.
The 6c was not in supercharger version official.
Tha car in question is in 7th row of photos up from the bottom of the page. It's in the 6C section.
I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a picture of any car like that in Simon Moore's comprehensive 8C books

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
OK. So the general consensus is that the was no works produced blown 6C 2300/2500.
Is the black car in the link mis-described?
Where is it?
Is it blown now?
What is it's history?

Another blown 6C 2300B is the one Murray Rainey built for his daughter's special. It has twin (single stage) blowers and is also dry sumped.
I'm also fitting a gear driven blower to my pre-war 6C2500 speciale using finned manifolds cast by Rainey.

Mussolini also had a Lancia and a FIAT linked to his name, plus other cars linked to members of his staff or mistresses. The most famous Mussolini Alfa is this 6c2300 Pescara, which was NOT supercharged, and actaully ran in the Mille Miglia.

http://www.coffeedrome.com/images/bobpebble/muss2.jpg

I think the picture in post #1 is mis-labeled. Both the Mussolini Fiat and Lancia were sold at auction about 5 years ago, but I have no idea where either is today.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Imperial Palace use to display an Alfa that belonged to one of Mussolini's mistresses. I have photos somewhere, but they are really buried and I'm sure it wasnt the 39 compressore.
http://www.imperialpalace.com/autos.php#
I photographed this ex-Mussolini mistress' 6C2500 in 1975 when it was in the possession of Ron Keno of Mohawk, NY. Has it turned up anywhere in the past 30+ years?

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Great photos. I have no idea where the car is now. It must be a VERY early 2500. You didn't happen to get the S/N did you??

The rear view looks VERY much like a Touring bodied 6c2300B MM coupe.

I can't tell if there were ever running boards or not. If you look at the back end of the front fenders, it looks like there might have been, but if you look at the front end of the rear fenders, it looks like there never were any!

Anyway, the fenders are rather odd, and look more like PF or Stab.Farina than Touring to me.

I don't see anything that tends to make me believe it was supercharged at one time...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great photos. I have no idea where the car is now. It must be a VERY early 2500. You didn't happen to get the S/N did you??

The rear view looks VERY much like a Touring bodied 6c2300B MM coupe.

I can't tell if there were ever running boards or not. If you look at the back end of the front fenders, it looks like there might have been, but if you look at the front end of the rear fenders, it looks like there never were any!

Anyway, the fenders are rather odd, and look more like PF or Stab.Farina than Touring to me.

I don't see anything that tends to make me believe it was supercharged at one time...
The alleged supercharged car that is shown in the link at the beginning of this thread has a completely different body.

I'm also curious what you might expect to see from the outside that would indicate a blown car.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
The alleged supercharged car that is shown in the link at the beginning of this thread has a completely different body.

I'm also curious what you might expect to see from the outside that would indicate a blown car.
Not really from the outside of the car, but a quick look into the engine compartment would show if teh car had an intake manifold that was suited to a blower or not. The car in the 1975 photos appears to have always had the single carb setup, as it looks original to the car to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great photos. I have no idea where the car is now. It must be a VERY early 2500. You didn't happen to get the S/N did you??...
No, I wasn't into serial numbers back then. But according to 411.com, Ron Keno still lives in Mohawk, NY and I'll bet that he still has the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Touring-bodied cars of that era all had a similar look. The Imperial Palace car was described as a 6C2300. The Keno car is a 6C2500.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Imperial Palace Collection

My notes indicate that the Imperial Palace had two cars and may still have one. No mention of a 6C2300 in my files, so perhaps there is/was another?

915005 (SuperSport conversion #5) ... > Imperial Palace(?) > last known in Netherlands

915033 (Sport) ex Claretta Petacci > Keno > Imperial Palace

Neither was supercharged.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

1 - 20 of 29 Posts