Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Here are the photos in case it disappears from Craigslist.

View attachment 210711

It looks like the 6C 2300B SS Corto Pescara from this page.
Atound 20 years ago, Alfa-Milano on La Cienega Blvd. in Los Angeles has a sister car being stored there. My guess is that the running gear was taken to make a replica of a more sporting Alfa of the period.

Sad...

·
Administrator
14,276 Posts
Atound 20 years ago, Alfa-Milano on La Cienega Blvd. in Los Angeles has a sister car being stored there. My guess is that the running gear was taken to make a replica of a more sporting Alfa of the period.

Sad...
Very sad. Fncken replicas. Hate them with a passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
1938 2300B SS Corto Pescara

My husband bought this car and is in the process of restoring it. I know there were very few produced and so it's difficult to find out information about the car. Does anybody know where we can find such information? He's looking for VIN numbers, door hinges, spare tire cover, frame and many more parts. Please help if you can!! Thanks :)

Here are the photos in case it disappears from Craigslist.

View attachment 210711

It looks like the 6C 2300B SS Corto Pescara from this page.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
My husband bought this car and is in the process of restoring it. I know there were very few produced and so it's difficult to find out information about the car. Does anybody know where we can find such information? He's looking for VIN numbers, door hinges, spare tire cover, frame and many more parts. Please help if you can!! Thanks :)
Welcome to AlfaBB, lisalodi!

Can you tell us if the car still has the tag with the chassis and engine numbers, and what these numbers are?

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have that information. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!
OK. You may want to start with Fusi's production numbers listed in this thread, which lists the chassis numbers by production year. Then, you may want to contact the AROC Library and ask Jim (papajam on AlfaBB) if they have any 6C 2300 manuals (currently none are listed but the list may be out of date). Third, you may want to contact the 6C 2500 register which also covers 6C 2300 B cars (click on the small label "English" to get parts of the pages in English language) and ask how many 6C 2300 B corto cars they have in the register, how many of them are in the USA, and if they have any manuals. Last but not least, you may also want to contact [email protected] and ask if they have any manuals (they may ask for a chassis number).

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Alfa Romeo 6C2300B

I have some clues gathered as to the identity of this car but the new owner has not responded to requests of some specific information that should be sought from the remains that he purchased. I am given to understand that the body has no chassis identity remaining in the form of paperwork or ID plate. I suspect that there will be a trace of the body number that might be found in numerous locations even though I cannot be precise about where to look. After some additional research, such a body number will give us some strong clues, particularly if they coincide with a few other things we can guess at.

I saw this body briefly last August when I happened to get on the freeway near Sacramento while returning from my niece's wedding and ... there was the car on a trailer, bogged down in slow traffic for a merge. I flagged the driver down a couple of miles later, we spoke for a few moments and I took a few photos. Unfortunately, one of the mode settings had become changed as the camera slid out of the case and the photos are not great as a result. I have many more ... also not so great. I did not climb up on the trailer nor open the bonnet up and have a look for myself to see if there was an obvious body number or anything else that might help identify the car after some additional studies. I did learn that the body is what was remaining with a restorer/body shop in California after a project had been largely completed for David B. Smith in Washington. The donor car had come supposedly from Switzerland. I don't know anything more than that about the identification, history or destination of the chassis, nor if it maintains its original identity today. Someone could ask David about it?

Perhaps the following might be a possible clue? Or, it may have nothing whatsoever to do with this car?

A few years ago, David sold a 6C2300 engine to a restoration project (chassis 815025) that appeared in chassis form at Pebble in 2010. That engine seemed to be numbered "823040" albeit not in a strictly "normal" location ... even though I've seen it before on at least one engine. The cylinder head was also numbered (probably not by Alfa Romeo) with another engine number ... perhaps by someone who was wishing to "keep track"(?) and this engine number (823315) was apparently original to chassis 813263. I don't know that car personally at all even though it was known for a time to the Registro Italiano Alfa Romeo, at least several years ago.

I do not yet know which chassis was originally fitted with engine 823040.
There is lots remaining to be learned!

John

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts