Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I was searching the Sf Bay Area Craigslist for Alfas the other day and i came across an ad for a "1931 alfa romeo" I don't know much about Pre-War Alfas but it doesn't look like a 8c 2300 or a 6c 1750. The owner doesnt seem to know much about his car, but it looks to be in good shape cosmetically and he says it runs.

Heres a link: 1931 alfa romeo
if the link expires I saved the page as a html so i should be able to post it,

Attachments

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I wager this 31 Alfa comes with vintage VW suspension and probably vintage VW engine to boot.

ciao

Ken

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Folks,
I Have Bought And Sold Many Vw Buggy And Sandrails, This Is Most Definantely A Vw Front Suspension, Now These Kits Normally Come With Vw Engine Or Ford Pinto Front Engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you look at the other picture on the listing you can see that it has lug nuts on the wheels, so if Model A's have lug nuts, then it's quite possible

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think it's the ultra rare Alfa 4C 1500, which was a collaboration between Ferdinand Porsche and Vittorio Jano!
just kidding. This is clearly a replicar on a VW Beetle platform. I'd recognize that front suspension anywhere. I'd seen these done up as Bugatti T35s before, but never as an Alfa!

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
These replica 8C 2300 cars are actually quite common for their type. They, and the Bugatti replica written about earlier were made by the same manufacturer. They perform terribly and have no relationship to a real Alfa, but they are kind of a cool oddity now.

They have VW Beetle running gear.

Not worth much, but could be fun to drive around on a sunny day.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
For Sale 1931 Alfa Romeo

You guys are much better than I am at recognizing the specifics --- I just know that it looks wrong from the front. It's kind of like spotting a shoddy paint job at 100 feet.

The good thing about bbers --- they are knowledgeable and they stop frauds or replicars in their tracks from being sold as the "real" thing.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
A few years ago, I lived just west of Chicago. Coming home from an errand one day, I saw what looked to be an 8C2300 Monza. I immediately assumed it was a kit car. But as I got closer, I could hear the unmistakable sound of a straight 8. I followed the car for several miles hoping the leather-helmeted driver would stop, but he never did. Later I saw the car at a Chicago-area show. It was in fact a real 8C2300 Monza! Apparently the owner doesn't hesitate to drive it on public roads. You just never know!

Erik

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bet that was Ben Rose. He's the only person I can think of in the Chicago area who had a Monza, though maybe there are others. Very cool to hear it on the road! I only saw it standing there in grant park at a concours once.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
A few years ago, I lived just west of Chicago. Coming home from an errand one day, I saw what looked to be an 8C2300 Monza. I immediately assumed it was a kit car. But as I got closer, I could hear the unmistakable sound of a straight 8. I followed the car for several miles hoping the leather-helmeted driver would stop, but he never did. Later I saw the car at a Chicago-area show. It was in fact a real 8C2300 Monza! Apparently the owner doesn't hesitate to drive it on public roads. You just never know!

Erik
Erik,

While it is true that you just never know what you might see driving down the road, and your experience does sound like it was a very interesting one, I am not sure what it has to do with the subject of this thread.

THIS car - as advertised in Craig's List - is an OBVIOUS replica, powered by an air-cooled and rear-mounted VW Beetle motor, and is NOT an Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Sorry Alex. I didn't intend to add any legitimacy to the car which is the subject of this thread. I just thought that had been sufficiently established to allow a little bit of straying. And while I'm astray, while in the Chicago suburbs, I also saw what I thought was a very nice 289 Cobra replica at the local Dairy Queen. Then I noticed the transverse front leaf spring. When the owner came out, he confirmed it was an original. I just love it when people actually DRIVE these very valuable cars!

Now, back on topic. If it has the engine hanging out behind the rear wheels, it is NOT an Alfa!

Erik

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Body by Brisbane Motors of Buffalo

These kits were very common in the early 70's. Not only Bugatti and Alfa, but also Nash and English car. You could even buy the kits through the mail for less than $700.00. Unfinished kits turn up quite often yet. I have one with the VW engine arrangement put together by someone else I bought years ago and have enjoyed greatly on hot sunny days. Greatest problem is that the front is so light one can merely "putt" around. This summer (as I have for many summers) I plan on finally removing the plastic body and then abandoning the vw pan. I intend to start with a 1975 Alfetta gt with its 2000 engine and Dedion rear end but prune the platform and shorten it so I can sit in the rear seat over the rear wheesl but still use the firewall with framework to fit the VW front suspension. That way I can still use the plastic body. I would love to put the live exhaust down the side so I will have to make an actual metal hood. When I get to that point in my daydreams I start thinking it might be wiser just to make a body and sell my plastic toy intact. Isn't quite to scale anyway. I believe I could get closer welding pieces of wrecked cars together. Wish I could weld. They say that if wishs were horses then beggars would ride.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Recently went looking for one of these bodies to put on a spare Spider drive-train and ended up with the Bugatti 35B type instead.

It's a doable project, the track is even correct, but packaging the front engine is going to be "Fun" as it wants to end up under the firewall area.

A rear trans type donor might be easier as you could move the engine forward and still get the shift where you need it.

Debating using a VW front axle to make it a "Sleeper" as folk would assume it's just a VW based car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bet that was Ben Rose. He's the only person I can think of in the Chicago area who had a Monza, though maybe there are others. Very cool to hear it on the road! I only saw it standing there in grant park at a concours once.
Dennis Machul and Dick Hansen both had 8Cs which they drove on the roads west of chicago. Dennis would take his up to Elkhart Lake for the day. Sadly, he's gone now - was a great guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts