Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone have info on this car? history, details, referenced in a book?

Thanks,

Tina
Your question may relate to 6c 1750 gs ch.no.6c 10814356.This 5th series car was delivered to Baron Phillippe de Gunzbourg in August 1931.The baron came from the village of Saint Varent in South West France.He raced under the pseudonym 'Varent' .Goodings will auction this car on 19 August at Pebble Beach.There is an interesting history in the catalogue which is available online

·
Registered
49 Posts
Goodings sold this car on Sunday for 946000USD.This seems very high for what was a nice original matching numbers car with no apparent racing history(and you can bet they tried to find some before putting it up).Auctions represent only a relatively small portion of the overall market but it is interesting to compare this result with H&H's sale of the Ivanowski car a couple of months ago.The H&H car was as original as the Goodings car and had a really famous history to boot(Irish Grand Prix winner 1929 , Stiles team car) and yet it sold for roughly the same money.Why?I think the answer is in the body .Anything by Touring or Zagato attached to a 6c or 8c seems to carry a very substantial loading over less fashionable houses,sufficient in this case to lift this car to a price level only seen before in connection with famous racers.Of course other factors may also be at play .The market is very hot and 6cs may well have been undervalued for some time when compared to their 8c siblings.It's all totally subjective but for the same money give me the H&H car every time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ar6c10814356

I looked the car over carefully at Goodings and found it to be a wonderful time machine. Not completely original in all aspects, but the few mods appeared to be historic and nothing recent. It is a great piece of history, perhaps a "snapshot in time" that will tell us how things were done at Alfa Romeo and Zagato during 1931. The lessons won't necessarily apply to all cars built at that time, but it is clearly a "racing" car in concept and may give us some serious insight as to "customer" race cars at the very least. I took lots of photos and hope that some additional history will surface. At the moment, it appears that it was owned and raced by a privateer who was quite private!

The difficulty now will be in deciding what sort of restoration would be appropriate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my opinion the most important issue with restoring this 6c is to retain the 'original' character of the car.Dealers use words like 'sympathetic' and 'gentle recommissioning' to convey a soft touch restoration.It would be a crime for it to be torn apart,powder coated and gussied up in two pack with new leather and polished aluminium everywhere.All traces of the 'snapshot in time''would be gone .If it were mine I would rebuild it mechanically as required making it clean and functional no more, and repaint it in acrylic in its original colour to a standard consistent with Zagato 1930s quality;not Pebble Beach and definitely not red unless that was its original colour.Perhaps an old leather couch could donate sufficient aged leather for the seats.The irony is from an investment perspective it would probably be smarter to simply leave it alone,but what would be the fun in that?I am attempting a similar but not identical exercise with my 6c1750ss where enough of the original Zagato body has survived to justify putting it back on (there is currently a replica body fitted) and I want the finished product to retain the fabric and feel of its early days.I'll post photos as this exercise proceeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts