Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!
I'm looking for any and all info I can get on Ugo Sivocci`s car, which had a green cloverleaf symbol on white background and when he won the 1923 Targa Florio, that symbol was to become Alfa`s good luck token.

I can find lot's of info about the driver, but not much about the car.

I need to know the specs like the wheelbase - width and length and anything else I can find.

Anyone been to the MUSEO STORICO ALFA ROMEO? The historic museum of Alfa Romeo, located in Arese, on the outskirts of Milano and seen the car?

I'm trying to find as many detailed photos of the car as possible.

My goal to build something close using the 2600 Sprint engine and trany, but as a LHD. The image attached is a mirrored image of the original and it is the look I'm going for. I want to stay as close as possible to the original, but I love the 2600 straight six and it seems to me, it would make an exellent combination of style and performance.

Any thoughts or input would be very welcome!

Rick :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Looks like you're up for an interesting challenge -- both with respect to finding correct information as well as building your car.

From what I understand, Alfa Romeo entered 5 cars in the 1923 Targa Florio (3 with 3.1 litre engine, 2 with 4.5 litre engine). The first picture below shows Sivocci during the race; the second picture shows Ferrari's RL TF (which did not finish the race) from behind. Both pictures were scanned from the Hull & Slater's book. Note that Sivocci's car has front fenders, but Ferrari's doesn't.

The third picture is a drawing from Fusi's book. I have a hunch this drawing is not a construction drawing and may have been created later. Still, it should give you an idea of the car's silhouette.

None of the books I have mention any chassis dimensions of the RL TF. That's the bad news. The good news is that D'Amico & Tabucchi's book shows several construction drawings of RM chassis (4th picture) and 6C 1500 chassis (5th picture) with the dimensions barely legible. I assume you will have to adapt many things to fit a 2600 engine and gearbox, so borrowing from the RM and 6C 1500 may not be a bad choice.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I don't know if there are any dimensional differences between the 1923 and 1924 cars, but there is a 1924 car made up from parts in the museum. Perhaps an e-mail to the archives is in order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! I have collected quite a few images from the net, but this is the first time I've seen these. THESE ARE GREAT! They will be very helpful!

Thanks Tubut!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if there are any dimensional differences between the 1923 and 1924 cars, but there is a 1924 car made up from parts in the museum. Perhaps an e-mail to the archives is in order.
That's a good idea. Do you happen to have the address or know where I can find it?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again,
Ok, I fired off an email to the archives and received a packet of pages, photo copied out of a book. I haven't seen them before and it does help with a few specs. Most of it is ah, er, greek to me, but it does give me enough to start with. I was hoping for more detailed photos and close ups of the car itself.

Anyone going to the museum? Want to take some detailed photos? Please!

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts